A Review of the Hoyas

The home for Big East hoops

A Review of the Hoyas

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:24 pm

I'M BAAAACK

It's that time of the year again. The end of it!! When a teams season ends. We'll review how they did, how they look for the future, who's leaving, who's staying and who's coming in. We begin with the Hoyas of Georgetown. I will go back and edit this if necessary as players come and leave.

OUT
*Aminu Mohamed (going pro)
*Donald Carey (transferring to Maryland)
*Kaiden Rice
*Collin Holloway (transferring to Tulane)
*Timothy Ighoefe (transferring to Cal Baptist)
*Tyler Beard (transferring to Pacific)
*Jalin Billingsley (transferring to Eastern Michigan)
*Kobe Clark (transferring to Southeast Missouri State)

STAY
*Dante Harris
*Malcolm Wilson
*Ryan Mutombo

IN
*Wayne Bristol
*D'Ante Bass
*Denver Anglin
*Qudus Wahab (returning from Maryland)
*Bryson Mozone (transfer from SC Upstate)
*Brandon Murray (transfer from LSU)
*Bradley Ezewiro (transfer from LSU)
*Jay Heath (transfer from Arizona State)
*Akok Akok (transfer from UConn)

My 0.02:
YIIIIIIIIIIKES. Georgetown completed the imperfect conference season and finished the year with 21 straight losses. My goodness. For a program with as many resources and as much prestige as Georgetown has, that's unacceptable. That's inexcusable. That's indefensible. How on earth does Patrick Ewing keep his job? Georgetown has to come to their senses and do the difficult but right thing and let him go. Their recruiting class also doesn't inspire confidence in me that this team can be turned around next year. I just don't see good days ahead in DC unless Georgetown makes a change. Right now, I have a lot of players on the "return" list but I don't think many of those guys are going to last long as I think a good chunk of them will transfer out. We shall see!!

Anyways, those are my thoughts. What say you?
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Tue May 24, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
OmahaGuy

A Review of the Hoyas

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A Review of the Hoyas

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:02 pm

Thanks for these writeups every year. Always fun reading through them.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:07 pm

billyjack wrote:Thanks for these writeups every year. Always fun reading through them.

I'd call it bittersweet. cuz you know the season is wrapping up!
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 pm

Ewing seems to have impact players transfer out every year, I can't imagine this time will be any different....
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:51 am

So Georgetown hired the guy who was the interim coach at LSU as an assistant.

The entire LSU class has decommitted and some talk about them maybe following him to Georgetown. Would be huge for sure.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:11 am

Loving it tremendously. Gtwn is fine. They are exactly where they need be. Give Patrick a long term extension
On his contract! If he has to go - send him to Radnor, please. Hopefully, some of his coaching acumen & karma rubs off onto JW. :lol: ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:35 am

stever20 wrote:So Georgetown hired the guy who was the interim coach at LSU as an assistant.

The entire LSU class has decommitted and some talk about them maybe following him to Georgetown. Would be huge for sure.

Kevin Nickleberry also has head coaching experience, something needed as much as recruiting. About as good a move as GT could have made, once they decided to keep Patrick.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:09 pm

Patrick Ewing is the worst coach in college basketball
DeadHeadHoya

Postby smallmodularreactor » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:58 am

With noting is that after those 4-5 players transferred out in season a few years ago Gtown changed their recruiting philosophy to target kids with better resolve and values. The only player that has transferred out from there post-transformation group was a little used backup, TJ Berger, who was frankly recruited (as a non counter) as a way to build a relationship with better players on his hs team we were recruiting. When he was signed it was already rumored to be a short term thing.

So I say all that to say, time will tell whether the new breed of recruit understands their mission better, and is less ego-driven, and until I see more transfers I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

The addition of Nickelberry is HUGE. The best addition to the program, player or otherwise, since Pat was hired. Can’t understate what kind of impact he will likely have. If he’s able to bring in Brandon Murray or Efton Reid that’s just a plus.

We had a really, really bad year that isn’t really defensible. But GU runs a much different administration of their basketball program than the vast majority of other programs, and I have it on good authority, from different angles and sources, that Ewing has been handcuffed in a lot of ways (Ronnie Thompson has also been trying to sabotage the program since the day Ewing was hired because he wanted a job on staff and didn’t get it, which led him to a power struggle with 1 of the only 2 people Ewing was allowed to bring on board when he was hired. The GU admin filled out the rest of the positions.

And now, with the vote of confidence from Lee Reed, Ewing seems to finally have the authority to hire, etc that almost every other high major coach has. Even when he’s tried to make staff changes in the past few years (particularly early during Covid), he has met resistance. He is not the puppet master many are making him out to be. He is definitely accountable for our performances being the HC, but that’s different than being responsible for what played out and I think the fact that he still has his job is recognition of that by those that give him his paycheck.

All that to say, I’m still optimistic about getting this thing turned around. Certainly nowhere to go but up. And it’ll help that everyone is losing their super seniors this year. We didn’t bring back any, and had we brought back even one (take your pick) there’s no way we would’ve won less than a handful of BE games. But alas, that did not happen.

Also, I have it on good authority that Wahab has been exploring options for a reunion. Time will tell whether it’s even feasible and whether or not that door is still open, but I still find it interesting. Kids like playing for Ewing, clearly. Those with big egos and who are not as much about being great, less so. I think that’s a natural balance. No one player is bigger than the program.
smallmodularreactor

Postby smallmodularreactor » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:59 am

DeadHeadHoya wrote:Patrick Ewing is the worst coach in college basketball

Remove Hoya from your handle (troll?) or stop talking out of your ass and your feelings about stuff you don’t understand. People like you make this world a worse place. Always ready to criticize someone else for something they know they have no chance of accomplishing themselves. It would be laughable if that attitude wasn’t so destructive.
smallmodularreactor

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board