NCAAT - Providence (4) vs Richmond (12) - Saturday 6:10pm

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAAT - Providence (4) vs Richmond (12) - Saturday 6:10p

Postby adoraz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:41 am

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Congrats Friars! Unbelievable season. Not only has the team greatly overachieved all year, they've also proved the pundits and analytics wrong by advancing to the Sweet 16. They finished the season ranked #13 in the AP, #32 in NET, and KenPom has them at only #33 even after their Tournament run. Clearly by making the Sweet 16 they proved they're fully deserving of their AP ranking.

At some point being the "luckiest" team needs to recognized as being one of the best teams, and that's happened now.

It's so funny that 2 teams that had the most extreme situations between metrics and on court performance are still alive- Houston and Providence. From totally opposite situations. Don't think you'd want to play either one of those teams right now at all.

Yeah I'm surprised by how poorly Houston was seeded, should've been at least a couple lines higher. I had them going to the Sweet 16 in my brackets but do have them falling to Arizona.

To be honest I was not very confident in the Friar making the Sweet 16. Fortunately I still had them in my brackets though because I wanted them to win.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:49 am

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Congrats Friars! Unbelievable season. Not only has the team greatly overachieved all year, they've also proved the pundits and analytics wrong by advancing to the Sweet 16. They finished the season ranked #13 in the AP, #32 in NET, and KenPom has them at only #33 even after their Tournament run. Clearly by making the Sweet 16 they proved they're fully deserving of their AP ranking.

At some point being the "luckiest" team needs to recognized as being one of the best teams, and that's happened now.

It's so funny that 2 teams that had the most extreme situations between metrics and on court performance are still alive- Houston and Providence. From totally opposite situations. Don't think you'd want to play either one of those teams right now at all.

Yeah I'm surprised by how poorly Houston was seeded, should've been at least a couple lines higher. I had them going to the Sweet 16 in my brackets but do have them falling to Arizona.

To be honest I was not very confident in the Friar making the Sweet 16. Fortunately I still had them in my brackets though because I wanted them to win.

I mean you understood why for Houston given that they had only 1 Q1 win and that was the last game of the season literally. They were an impossible team to really seed- you get the Metrics which obviously adored Houston but what realistically had they achieved? I could easily see them beating Arizona- look at how many offensive rebounds Arizona gave up yesterday and well in KP- TCU #1 offensive rebounding team and Houston is #3 0.1% behind them.

I could see BOTH Houston and Providence winning this round.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:56 am

Ah didn't realize they had only 1 Q1 win, that explains their seeding. I still would've put them a bit higher but yeah really tough to seed them.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:23 pm

adoraz wrote:Ah didn't realize they had only 1 Q1 win, that explains their seeding. I still would've put them a bit higher but yeah really tough to seed them.

Houston's AAC title game didn't even count. It's their choice to hold the championship game on Sunday, but the NCAA has recommended against it in the past.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:27 pm

kayako wrote:
adoraz wrote:Ah didn't realize they had only 1 Q1 win, that explains their seeding. I still would've put them a bit higher but yeah really tough to seed them.

Houston's AAC title game didn't even count. It's their choice to hold the championship game on Sunday, but the NCAA has recommended against it in the past.

right...Few years ago they'd have been like Wichita and seeded 9th or something like that. And been an absolute bear for a 1 seed in rd 2.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:58 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:

right...Few years ago they'd have been like Wichita and seeded 9th or something like that. And been an absolute bear for a 1 seed in rd 2.

It's amusing to me that people were questioning whether Houston should be a bubble team just a couple of weeks ago, and now apparently they're gonna beat Arizona, a team that was a lock to play Gonzaga in the finals just last week. I swear 99% of college basketball hype is 3 or 4 blue bloods + flavor of the week. Not sure whether I wanna see Arizona's bigger lineup or having to play Houston in San Antonio.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board