A Review of the Huskies

The home for Big East hoops

A Review of the Huskies

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Damn. Tough way to go out for UConn. Anyway, let's review!

OUT
*RJ Cole (going pro)
*Tyrese Martin (going pro)
*Jalen Gaffney (transferring to Florida Atlantic)
*Rahsool Diggins (transferring to UMass)
*Akok Akok (transferring to Georgetown)
*Corey Floyd (transferring to Providence)
*Isaiah Whaley
*Tyler Polley

STAY
*Andre Jackson
*Jordan Hawkins
*Adama Sanogo

IN
*Alex Karaban
*Donovan Clingan
*Tristen Newton (transfer from East Carolina)
*Nahiem Alleyne (transfer from Virginia Tech)
*Hassan Diara (transfer from Texas A&M)

My 0.02:
Fear not UConn fans! The Huskies should be right back in the mix next season. Ok now maybe Sanogo might go pro but guys like Karaban and Clingan should fill the spot just fine, in case he leaves. The big question will be who replaces Cole. Hawkins? I also believe Andre Jackson will continue to grow and develop. Good times ahead in Storrs!
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
OmahaGuy

A Review of the Huskies

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A Review of the Huskies

Postby SoFla Steve » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:05 pm

FWIW, Cole and Martin still have eligibility. Whether they choose to use it is a matter of conjecture.

Aside from Clingan and Karaban, UConn has brought in Corey Floyd, Jr., a big, bulky shooting guard. Both Karaban and Floyd have enrolled already so they can practice with the team and take part in the S & C program.
SoFla Steve

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:44 pm

It was a really disappointing early exit for UConn because it felt like they were playing good ball lately and I thought they got a great draw that gave them a legitimate shot at a final 4 run. It's a bold claim with Gonzaga in the region, but I think Sanogo could've given Chet Holmgren a lot of trouble if that match-up happened. Then then in Duke wouldn't have scared me against the Huskies at all. Oh well. shoulda coulda woulda.

Having UConn back in the Big East obviously makes things more difficult, but -especially as we saw this year with fans back in the buildings- it feels right.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby shizzle898 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:58 pm

Disappointing season all things considered. I think depending on who we get in the transfer portal, we may be able to make a deep run next year.

Coming back/recruits:
Akok
Gaffney
Sanogo
Hawkins
Jackson
Diggins
Johnson
Springs
Floyd Jr.
Karaban
Clingan

Assuming no one transfers out, that is 11 players. We need two high-level transfers as I don't think Springs, Diggins, Akok, or Gaffney will have large roles next year.
shizzle898

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:07 am

I think the biggest question is who puts the ball in the hoop from the 3 pt line. UConn could potentially lose the only 3 guys who could actually do that: Polley, Cole and Martin. Hawkins came in with the reputation as a good shooter but was not consistent. He would need to take a BIG step forward. Otherwise you’d be hoping some combination of Floyd, Akok and Jackson can do the job. Not sure that would breed much confidence or ensure that Sonogo doesn’t get double teamed every time he touches the ball.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:34 pm

I have no idea what are Sanogo's pro prospects? Chances he stays next year?
Jet915

Postby Husky_U » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Pathetic performance by my Huskies. Hurley outcoached again in the tourney. Apologies to the BE.

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think the biggest question is who puts the ball in the hoop from the 3 pt line. UConn could potentially lose the only 3 guys who could actually do that: Polley, Cole and Martin. Hawkins came in with the reputation as a good shooter but was not consistent. He would need to take a BIG step forward. Otherwise you’d be hoping some combination of Floyd, Akok and Jackson can do the job. Not sure that would breed much confidence or ensure that Sonogo doesn’t get double teamed every time he touches the ball.

Karaban is a 3 pt sniper. Already been with the team for a semester so he should be a bit ahead of a typical freshman year.
Husky_U

Postby Husky_U » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Jet915 wrote:I have no idea what are Sanogo's pro prospects? Chances he stays next year?

I'd guess he comes back for 1 more year.
Husky_U

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:45 pm

UCONN was one of 3 teams that didn't bring in a transfer this season. It'll be interesting what Hurley and Jay Wright (also didn't bring in a transfer) do this season. Both teams got stud freshmen coming in.
supernova
kayako

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Tyrese Martin is gone per Twitter
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board