Xavier: Steele Out, Miller returns

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier Steele is gone

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Novachap wrote:Dash, XUP and other X fans.... looks like this was in the works for a bit and frankly it needed to be. He lost the team a while ago. Countless BB IQ bad plays and the unwillingness/ inability to adapt and adjust are evidence. X seemed to do great out of conference, but in conference, well they saw that movie before. Travis just never had the chops to change game plans and clearly couldn't adjust in game. Honestly, surprising. I thought he was a good hire when Mack left, but his sweet spot was recruiting and that is where he should have stayed.

So, seems to be a big push for Miller. Do you think the admin will go for that considering the cloud / baggage around him? Heck, if they are willing to bite the bullet on Miller, they ought to make a play for Pitino too!

Chap -- There is a major push for Miller in the fan base. He loved Xavier when he was there before. He had turned down Arizona's first offer and really struggled with leaving until they came back with even more money. Things have completely changed. The Cintas Center is that much nicer and we're now in the Big East. He and his wife love Cincinnati.

I am hopeful that the baggage issue is surmountable, especially now in a world that involves N-I-L's. The problem is that I don't think that is the case. Xavier isn't going to touch anything that would potentially harm the brand, if you will. I personally want Miller. I think we'll end up with someone else, but I have no clue who that might be.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 pm

stever20 wrote:Just saw on twitter-from Rick Broering
BREAKING: Xavier and head coach Travis Steele have mutually agreed to part ways effective immediately. Xavier will start a national coaching search immediately.

BTW, some dumbass leaked this a little sooner than what had been planned.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:01 pm

Xudash wrote:
BREAKING: Xavier and head coach Travis Steele have mutually agreed to part ways effective immediately. Xavier will start a national coaching search immediately.

were they just wanting to wait until after the season?
stever20

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:07 pm

stever20 wrote:
Xudash wrote:

were they just wanting to wait until after the season?

I don't know. It may have to do with wanting to go after an available coaching target who may already be closing in on another job elsewhere, but that is speculation on my part. Either way, it's interesting timing. It will be kind of funny if Florida beats Iona, because you'll then have two teams playing each other who recently had their head coaches depart or be removed.

Frankly, I am pleased that the administration got this right. I personally like Travis and I think he is a fine young man who will do well in life moving forward. It's just that it simply and obviously wasn't working out at X for him.

This is going to be interesting.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Xudash wrote:
I don't know. It may have to do with wanting to go after an available coaching target who may already be closing in on another job elsewhere, but that is speculation on my part. Either way, it's interesting timing. It will be kind of funny if Florida beats Iona, because you'll then have two teams playing each other who recently had their head coaches depart or be removed.

Frankly, I am pleased that the administration got this right. I personally like Travis and I think he is a fine young man who will do well in life moving forward. It's just that it simply and obviously wasn't working out at X for him.

It'd be interesting either way on that Florida/Iona game- imagine Pitino coming in there playing a team with a coaching opening....
stever20

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:12 pm

stever20 wrote:
Xudash wrote:

It'd be interesting either way on that Florida/Iona game- imagine Pitino coming in there playing a team with a coaching opening....

We live in interesting times!
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:17 pm

Xudash wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Xudash wrote:

We live in interesting times!

Yup. Such an interesting week between CBB coaching moves like this, MLB and NFL free agency. (sorry about the Reds!)
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:36 pm

Steele seems like a good guy but X fell apart in February 3 years in a row. Their roster should be atleast a 6-7 seed instead of NIT.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:48 pm

Jet915 wrote:Steele seems like a good guy but X fell apart in February 3 years in a row. Their roster should be atleast a 6-7 seed instead of NIT.

It's funny that Creighton/Xavier game with the insane comeback Xavier made- How Xavier reacted after that game(3-8) is what I kind of thought was possible for Creighton(who actually went 10-4 after that game).
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Was Miller connected with all of the NCAA allegation at Arizona with Ayton?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board