(2) Sunday Big East Games 2/27/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Sunday Big East Games 2/27/22

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:28 pm

hoops22 wrote:Hard to get excited about a NIT bid for St. John's after the type of season it's been. Although the seasons been a disappointment, the one thing I gave them credit for was they always played hard to the final buzzer. Didn't see that today, no one cared about defense, it was just run and gun street ball. Not sure they'll win another game, which would end Anderson's streak of never having had a losing season.

I hear you. NIT bids are tough unless you have a super young team and are building for the future.

I could see you guys winning Wed. just because of how Xavier has been recently.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Game means so much more to Xavier. Think they'll be playing with a greater sense of urgency. Although with St john's, they win when you think they'll lose, and lose when you expect them to win, so who knows?
hoops22

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:12 pm

hoops22 wrote:Game means so much more to Xavier. Think they'll be playing with a greater sense of urgency. Although with St john's, they win when you think they'll lose, and lose when you expect them to win, so who knows?

Xavier sure went thru the motions yesterday though. I dunno could see that going either way.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Pretty cool:
Today Aneesah Morrow scored 41 for @DePaulWBBHoops , while Javon Freeman-Liberty put up 39 for @DePaulHoops .

They're the first Division I school to have a man & woman combine for 80 points on the same day since Arizona State on January 8, 2000 (Eddie House 61, Theresa Jantzen 20)
stever20

Postby Demon22 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 am

Pretty cool:
Today Aneesah Morrow scored 41 for @DePaulWBBHoops , while Javon Freeman-Liberty put up 39 for @DePaulHoops .

They're the first Division I school to have a man & woman combine for 80 points on the same day since Arizona State on January 8, 2000 (Eddie House 61, Theresa Jantzen 20)

Aneesah Morrow is a star, by the way. She's a true freshman, and she's recorded 23 consecutive double-doubles, and she's averaging 21.5 points and 14.0 rebounds per game.

As an aside... DePaul started the Big East season 1-9. The coaching staff apparently held a "Come to Jesus" meeting and since then...

Beat Xavier on the road.
Beat Georgetown at home.
Lost at Providence in OT.
Lost at home to Butler on a 25-foot 3-pointer that was banked in with about 5 seconds to play.
Lost at home to Creighton.
Lost at Seton Hall in the last few seconds of the game.
Beat Georgetown on the road.
Beat St. John's at home.

We're not there yet, but that's an eight game stretch in the Big East where with a couple more bounces, we could have gone 7-1. And a lot of those games were played without either Freeman-Liberty or David Jones.
Demon22

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:06 pm

Demon22 wrote:
Pretty cool:

Aneesah Morrow is a star, by the way. She's a true freshman, and she's recorded 23 consecutive double-doubles, and she's averaging 21.5 points and 14.0 rebounds per game.

As an aside... DePaul started the Big East season 1-9. The coaching staff apparently held a "Come to Jesus" meeting and since then...

Beat Xavier on the road.
Beat Georgetown at home.
Lost at Providence in OT.
Lost at home to Butler on a 25-foot 3-pointer that was banked in with about 5 seconds to play.
Lost at home to Creighton.
Lost at Seton Hall in the last few seconds of the game.
Beat Georgetown on the road.
Beat St. John's at home.

We're not there yet, but that's an eight game stretch in the Big East where with a couple more bounces, we could have gone 7-1. And a lot of those games were played without either Freeman-Liberty or David Jones.

I'm sold on Stubbs. First time in memory that a Demons team moves the ball and looks for each other. JFL even occasionally passes by choice, rather than just when he gets stopped. :lol:
A win over MU would not be a big surprise.
Wizard of Westroads

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board