Media Rights-TV Contracts_The Last Dance_2023-25 Round

The home for Big East hoops

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Ahhh...and so it begins! The next round of Media Rights/TV gets in full swing in 2023. (the old threads have been archived already.)
I'm calling this round the "Last Dance" Round (Donna Summer). This is the last dance for big TV before online streaming takes over permanently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22YbORzDD0

The players are already jockeying about for starting positions. Those who are of the "ESPN/Fox have it in the bag" ilk
are sadly mistaken. CBS, after losing SEC Football, will be playing. NBC is also playing - with deep pockets even.

I will not be surprised to see a couple more players (from out in left field and from the streaming world)
enter into the fray. This article is tossing about huge numbers... I'm expecting the BE to "Get Paid" too!!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -worth-11b

https://frontofficesports.com/nbc-to-ma ... le-sharing
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Media Rights-TV Contracts_The Last Dance_2023-25 Round

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:03 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Ahhh...and so it begins! The next round of Media Rights/TV gets in full swing in 2023. (the old threads have been archived already.)
I'm calling this round the "Last Dance" Round (Donna Summer). This is the last dance for big TV before online streaming takes over permanently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22YbORzDD0

The players are already jockeying about for starting positions. Those who are of the "ESPN/Fox have it in the bag" ilk
are sadly mistaken. CBS, after losing SEC Football, will be playing. NBC is also playing - with deep pockets even.

I will not be surprised to see a couple more players (from out in left field and from the streaming world)
enter into the fray. This article is tossing about huge numbers... I'm expecting the BE to "Get Paid" too!!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -worth-11b

https://frontofficesports.com/nbc-to-ma ... le-sharing

I think ESPN might be better off than you think given what they have with ESPN+ for streaming. What do they have already over 21 million subscribers already?
CBS tough time really seeing in basketball for much of a full time piece. Maybe they get a little something but I think that might be something we see negotiated from the league and not a sublicense type of situation like the league currently has.

i wouldn't be shocked if end of the day you have a package with ESPN, one with Fox, and then a smaller one with CBS. That would be my prediction a year or 2 out right now.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:03 pm

Remember CBS has it's own Big Ten package for basketball.
As for NBC, they have room with USA Network.

Hard to think the Big Ten not being on ABC/ESPN. Yet, with all of the SEC and adding Oklahoma and Texas, the loss of the Big Ten won't be a major blow.

I wonder how the new version of the Big 12 ends up?
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:44 pm

CBS & NBC want B1G Football. CBS needs to replace the loss of SEC Football. NBC wants to add the B1G with its' ND Package.
Basketball is an afterthought. Both have tons of ready cash to spend.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:51 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:CBS & NBC want B1G Football. CBS needs to replace the loss of SEC Football. NBC wants to add the B1G with its' ND Package.
Basketball is an afterthought. Both have tons of ready cash to spend.

CBS likes having some basketball games for their February period going into March Madness. And yeah to get some volume for CBSSN.

It's not high on their list, but it's definitely on their list I think.
stever20

Postby Husky_U » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:20 pm

FOX Sports PR
@FOXSportsPR
@UConnMBB's 71-69 win over @NovaMBB on Tues, 2/22, scored 415,000 viewers on FS1 – the most-watched @BIGEAST Conference matchup on the network since 2017.
2:13 PM · Feb 24, 2022
Husky_U

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:13 pm

Hypothetically, how much $ would you need to be on ESPN but primarily on ESPN+?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:48 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Hypothetically, how much $ would you need to be on ESPN but primarily on ESPN+?

As a fan, no amount. I get to see every game on FS1 as is. Now a school president or AD probably looks at it differently.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:21 pm

Stu Jackson was on Sirius Xm this morning. 100 plus games onthe Fox platforms. 20 games on Big FOX. "That exposure who can't buy"
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Return to Big East basketball message board