Post Article about Hurley to Queens Missed Opportunity

The home for Big East hoops

Post Article about Hurley to Queens Missed Opportunity

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Post Article about Hurley to Queens Missed Opportunity

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:52 pm

Haven't read the article yet, but didn't DePaul have a reasonable shot at either Hurley at that time too? I remember hearing a rumor that DePaul wanted candidates to guarantee a coaching spot for Billy Garret's dad, which both Hurleys balked at. Also, I had to look up Billy Garret's name, because I was blanking on it. That kind of shows how inconsequential he was to the DePaul program (which is sad because he was super talented). If that rumor is true, good job, DePaul! Putting a lot of your future on holding onto a single player on a crappy team that I can't even properly remember anymore.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby kayako » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:11 pm

They must have realized the mistake and went after Bobby. I still think their biggest miss was not going after Rick Pitino after Mullin resigned.
supernova
kayako

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Eh, this might be a hot-take, but I view Mike Anderson as a much more superior coach than Bobby Hurley (at least at this point in time).

Bobby Hurley, for reasons unknown, took a very odd job in ASU (a program that has limited historical basketball success, plays behind Arizona in-state and is in the bottom-half of the PAC in terms of job prestige - behind UCLA, Arizona, Washington, USC and Stanford, IMO). ASU has never really sustained any level of high-level success, despite having a beautiful campus and being near one of the top prep school locations for basketball in the country. Hurley has finished near the bottom of the PAC four times (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2021) and has not won a single NCAAT game. Hurley had zero west coast ties or coaching experience, and appears to be a lock to finish near the bottom fo the PAC once again. Hurley's value is in his name, being the son of a legendary HS coach and leading Buffalo to first-place finishes in back-to-back years. Nate Oats performed better at Buffalo, and he is enjoying much more success at Alabama than Hurley is in Arizona.

Conversely, Mike Anderson - across over 20 years as a head coach at the high levels of college basketball - has only ever had one non-winning season (2007-08, Missouri). He has never had a losing season as a head coach. He has taken three different programs to the NCAAT and won at least one game with them. He plays an exciting brand of basketball and always seems to overachieve given its roster (which also can be argued as to his own undoing). They underperformed, IMO, this year given preseason projections, but still have a trajectory going upwards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hurley somewhere else this Spring.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:26 pm

The thing that's so weird about St John's this year- they are 1 not even good game but decent game from Champagnie in the Seton Hall or Providence game from being 15-10 and 7-7 in league play with 5 games to go. (or even UConn really). He's really had a off conference season. KP offensive rating in conference play from 109.9 down to 98.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:35 am

...Meaning: Champagne and the Redmen will go off and have an NBA All-Star outing
against lil cr8n.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:01 am

gtmoBlue wrote:...Meaning: Champagne and the Redmen will go off and have an NBA All-Star outing
against lil cr8n.

lol. Of course St John's will have 2 extra days of rest for that game compared to you guys.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board