Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:27 am

Rothstein reporting UIC going to be joining the MVC.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:58 am

stever20 wrote:Rothstein reporting UIC going to be joining the MVC.

Creighton was in the Valley most of my life and I still have fond memories of Arch Madness trips to St Louis. They’ve now lost Creighton, Wichita St and Loyola. Creighton obviously ended up in a better spot, but it could be argued that Wichita St moving the AAC did not go as planned and the future is very weak from a hoops perspective. Loyola to the A10 should be a pretty good fit. The Valley has done pretty well for themselves with their additions and could be a multi bid league in the future.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:01 am

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:Rothstein reporting UIC going to be joining the MVC.

Creighton was in the Valley most of my life and I still have fond memories of Arch Madness trips to St Louis. They’ve now lost Creighton, Wichita St and Loyola. Creighton obviously ended up in a better spot, but it could be argued that Wichita St moving the AAC did not go as planned and the future is very weak from a hoops perspective. Loyola to the A10 should be a pretty good fit. The Valley has done pretty well for themselves with their additions and could be a multi bid league in the future.

One thing that is interesting is the Valley now up to 12 teams so the DRR is gone. So they're going to be able to finish the season quite possibly with 2 teams with 15-16 conference wins. That should help getting multi bids.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:09 pm

Love the additions for the Valley. They have done as well as they possibly could have, losing Creighton, Wichita State and Loyola and replacing them with Valparaiso, Loyola, Belmont, Murray State and UIC (which is needed for the Chicago market, and since so many of the Valley schools recruit Chicago for students).

I continue to hold the belief that Wichita State is not long for the AAC. Long-term, I could see them pursue the MWC, A10 or possibly return to the MVC. I'd imagine a majority of its basketball-specific payouts from the AAC will be going to travel costs for Olympic sports. They didn't have a particularly large athletic budget went they moved over to the AAC.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:17 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Love the additions for the Valley. They have done as well as they possibly could have, losing Creighton, Wichita State and Loyola and replacing them with Valparaiso, Loyola, Belmont, Murray State and UIC (which is needed for the Chicago market, and since so many of the Valley schools recruit Chicago for students).

I continue to hold the belief that Wichita State is not long for the AAC. Long-term, I could see them pursue the MWC, A10 or possibly return to the MVC. I'd imagine a majority of its basketball-specific payouts from the AAC will be going to travel costs for Olympic sports. They didn't have a particularly large athletic budget went they moved over to the AAC.

A10 I think is a complete non starter. All the travel costs with none of the money. MWC is same thing IMO. And not sure they'd return to the MVC honestly.

I think with the moves travel for Wichita will be better. Has Tulsa obviously still, and now like 4 schools in Texas. For the other sports, I think they will have fewer trips east now.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm

I wonder how much the expansion has to do with the relationship with Enterprise Center for the conference tournament. They stopped selling the upper bowl after Wichita left. Loyola then became the primary source of attendance and now with them moving on too...
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:20 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I wonder how much the expansion has to do with the relationship with Enterprise Center for the conference tournament. They stopped selling the upper bowl after Wichita left. Loyola then became the primary source of attendance and now with them moving on too...

very possible. I mean now with 12 they get to sell a whole another session on Thursday.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:49 pm

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I wonder how much the expansion has to do with the relationship with Enterprise Center for the conference tournament. They stopped selling the upper bowl after Wichita left. Loyola then became the primary source of attendance and now with them moving on too...

very possible. I mean now with 12 they get to sell a whole another session on Thursday.

Attendance in St Louis has probably dropped 50% or more since Creighton and Wichita left. Valpo and Loyola didn’t travel. Murray St should help a lot.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:50 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Attendance in St Louis has probably dropped 50% or more since Creighton and Wichita left. Valpo and Loyola didn’t travel. Murray St should help a lot.

Belmont should help some as well I think.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:14 pm

The lower bowl was full when Loyola played. I doubt they'd have sold out the top. Maybe could've added another couple thousand but they weren't given the chance.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board