Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 pm

adoraz wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:As long as we continue to have the round robin, we just cannot have programs that - in a given year, not historically - act as conference anchors. This year, it is Georgetown. They are currently #212 in NET, which means they provide negative value when any conference team plays them (win or loss).

That's not necessarily true. Just this week for instance, St. John's beat a much worse Georgetown team (St. John's was home), but we rose a few spots in NET because we won by 19. #6 Villanova destroyed #131 Butler (Nova was home), and the next day Nova rose to #3 and Butler fell to #146. How teams play matters even if exact margins no longer do, and if top Big East teams blow out bottom feeders then they can maintain or improve upon their NET. I agree about bad losses potentially being an issue, but the Big East is in better shape than most conference there regardless. St. John's only has a couple of Q4 conference games and a lot of Q1 opportunities.

Also, the odds just are that some teams are not going to be good in any given year. Georgetown and Butler were both outside the top 100 when conference play started. They just aren't good this year.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:55 pm

XUFan09 wrote:St. Louis City is a distinct locality from St. Louis County, a separation that is untrue for most major cities. The independent cities in Virginia and then St. Louis are pretty much the exception to the rule. Generally the locality at which metrics like these are done is at the county level, so when people talk about a city's statistics, they really mean the county-wide statistics (e.g. Cook County, not Chicago). If one looks at most midsize cities, especially in the Midwest, it's easy to imagine how their metrics would worsen considerably if statistics were only based on the central urban space. So, it's rather deceptive to cite such statistics for St. Louis without major caveats, before even getting into how exaggerated your description of St. Louis is. You seem to have some kind of weird hate boner for St. Louis, and I'm speaking as someone who doesn't want SLU added.

Pros: Side project brewery, Perennial Artisan Ales, an unnamed taco spot in soulard,

I hate wasting money and time, yet I've been dragged to that hole of a city for a friends grad school graduation from SLU, my sister Irish dancing, a hurling tournament, my ex girlfriend moving there, my fiancés family vacation, and my friend's bday while he was there. I've explored it considerably (two BBQ spots, Italian on the hill, some 6+ breweries, taco spot that was actually good, their iconic Irish pub, the city museum, the arch, etc) and not once have I driven away feeling like I didn't waste my time and money (except at the aforementioned breweries). It's not a "hate boner" I just really hate wasting money and time. It took a third shot at Indianapolis before I changed my similar thoughts.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby kayako » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
To be fair to Dayton they probably would've had another E8 if it weren't for Covid

BS. That Dayton team feasted on an especially weak A10. 2nd place team Richmond has since been crapped on by everyone with largely same players.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Cheech wrote:Okay, so you forced me into this post. Without dismissing take the time to read. Please understand the financials not what your heart says. The Last post about INVENTORY is spot on! The sports stations lost big money the last 2 years and they are all seeking more games to put on. For example watch the Drexel /Northeastern game last nite… 3 different Gambling sites did commercials during the game. Similar to College football Bowl games who may seem stupid or meaningless with teams at 500 playing it’s about the gambling and inventory. The new gambling sites are buying out every game they can …INVENTORY…the network makes money and do the schools and conferences.
The next phase is NCAA units, the more schools that get in the more NCAA money gets shared and that can be significant. In CBB attendance is very very important more so than other sports. The Gate can mean a lot, so if your negative about a school like UD , consider this. When they travel to DePaul..GT..St John or Seton Hall the buildings will have a significant increase in attendance. Other than Seton Hall the other 3 can’t fill the building even with a team like Nova coming in. Simply take a look at DePaul when Nova came in. Now hang in….the most important can be what a school is willing to pay or give up to get into a conference. With the right check Presidents minds can be opened and or changed. There are schools that can and are willing to …buy in… Val will want the right set up to negotiate a new TV contract. Don’t get hung up on the name on the jersey, The GT..DePaul St John don’t mean what it did..hopefully they can get better. But there are or is a school who can make it a good financial fit for the conference… again it’s all about the money. Look The Big East is a terrific brand but changes have to come to keep up.Cash is King.

Imagine being this deluded. Dayton fans will fill up DePaul's arena in middle of a January snow storm with covid restrictions? Show some evidence before you spout this nonsense. 8 NCAAT bids in the last 30+ years, exactly what we needed I guess?
supernova
kayako

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:33 pm

kayako wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
To be fair to Dayton they probably would've had another E8 if it weren't for Covid

BS. That Dayton team feasted on an especially weak A10. 2nd place team Richmond has since been crapped on by everyone with largely same players.

Maybe elite 8 is ambitious, but I remember exactly how much damage a mid major super star can do to a team in the tournament (see Morant, Ja) I'd pencil them in for a S16 given that they were statistically a 1 seed at the time, 3 major conference wins, two OT losses one of which was to Kansas's unfortunately we'll never know but I think you're selling them short at least a little bit.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 am

MUBoxer wrote:Maybe elite 8 is ambitious, but I remember exactly how much damage a mid major super star can do to a team in the tournament (see Morant, Ja) I'd pencil them in for a S16 given that they were statistically a 1 seed at the time, 3 major conference wins, two OT losses one of which was to Kansas's unfortunately we'll never know but I think you're selling them short at least a little bit.

Perhaps I'm being dismissive, but too many 1 & 2 seeds never made it out of the 1st weekend for me to just assume that Dayton missed out on a long tourney run. A better Nova team in 2017 with 5 future NBA players and SR Kris Jenkins is a perfect example.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:31 am

kayako wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Maybe elite 8 is ambitious, but I remember exactly how much damage a mid major super star can do to a team in the tournament (see Morant, Ja) I'd pencil them in for a S16 given that they were statistically a 1 seed at the time, 3 major conference wins, two OT losses one of which was to Kansas's unfortunately we'll never know but I think you're selling them short at least a little bit.

Perhaps I'm being dismissive, but too many 1 & 2 seeds never made it out of the 1st weekend for me to just assume that Dayton missed out on a long tourney run. A better Nova team in 2017 with 5 future NBA players and SR Kris Jenkins is a perfect example.

It's got to be torture for Dayton fans that will always have the what if hanging over their heads for the rest of their lives of what could have happened.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am

So think we mentioned Monmouth heading to the CAA.

MAAC commish told Zagoria that they want to be at 12 for the 22-23 season. So would mean adding 2 teams.
stever20

Postby Xer4ever » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:20 am

stever20 wrote:So think we mentioned Monmouth heading to the CAA.

MAAC commish told Zagoria that they want to be at 12 for the 22-23 season. So would mean adding 2 teams.

Are you thinking Dayton is one of the two? Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Xer4ever

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 am

Xer4ever wrote:
stever20 wrote:So think we mentioned Monmouth heading to the CAA.

Are you thinking Dayton is one of the two? Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

:lol: lol, post of the day!
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board