Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby kayako » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm

DudeAnon wrote:We should add Gonzaga and St. Mary's as travel partners and play 3 to 4 non-conference games against both. Play 1 or 2 during the conference season if possible.

I have no idea why this idea keeps getting brought up. If Xavier wants to go play in Spokane and Moraga, which won't even be on Fox, go schedule them. There's no reason to make this some kind of a commitment.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Django » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:22 pm

kayako wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:We should add Gonzaga and St. Mary's as travel partners and play 3 to 4 non-conference games against both. Play 1 or 2 during the conference season if possible.

I have no idea why this idea keeps getting brought up. If Xavier wants to go play in Spokane and Moraga, which won't even be on Fox, go schedule them. There's no reason to make this some kind of a commitment.

Uh, if you have a problem with this you must have a huge problem with Val brining up adding Gonzaga to the Big East? I think multiple BEast teams arranging scheduling arrangements with the Zags is a great idea. Of course my team is in Nebraska so it makes more sense than any of the East Coast contingent... but they're the number one team in the land! And Jebbies to boot!

I'm with Dude on this one.
Django

Postby kayako » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:32 pm

Django wrote:Uh, if you have a problem with this you must have a huge problem with Val brining up adding Gonzaga to the Big East? I think multiple BEast teams arranging scheduling arrangements with the Zags is a great idea. Of course my team is in Nebraska so it makes more sense than any of the East Coast contingent... but they're the number one team in the land! And Jebbies to boot!

I'm with Dude on this one.

How would this "arragement" work? Why would Gonzaga do this when they can get plenty of quality neutral site games out west? Go check their schedule, they have zero occ road games scheduled. And why would better BE teams do this when they can just schedule Gonzaga outright instead of having to play Saint Mary's? Your own Creighton did just that recently.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bogg » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:40 pm

Maybe it's just me, but if the conference office/Fox makes the decision that expanding is what's best for the conference/a tv deal extension, I'm not bothered by the idea of Saint Louis and/or Dayton. The one thing I wouldn't like about any expansion is losing the DRR, which I think makes for a wonderfully fun conference experience even if there's some evidence it may not be the best thing for NCAA tournament seeding. Dayton/SLU are fine by me if Fox specifically requests more inventory. They've been a real good partner for the league, so taking care of them as part of a new long-term deal makes sense for everyone.

Hall2012 wrote:There's nobody out there who just works. If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

This is essentially the Saint Louis argument. They fit as an academic institution, the arena's already there and the crowds are okay, and the current coach seems decent. Saint Louis is a good recruiting area and the city isn't squarely B1G or SEC territory, so there's oxygen to grow the fan base. A Big East recruiting bump should result in a pretty strong program.
Bogg

Postby kayako » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Xudash wrote:Villanova is in full "boat race" mode in every regard with respect to the Big 5 (albeit PENN is its own unique academic beast). At the very least, Nova "owns" St. Joe's, LossSalle and Temple, yet it cannot possibly have any institutional desire to open the door for any one of those three to the BE, even if Philly is a big enough town to warrant two members.

When Temple was good, they would've been an afterthought in the BE. The current BE can probably use early John Chaney era Temple program, but I'm afraid they'll never get back to that level. I'm a big believer in synergy created by local relevant rivalries. Sometimes it's better to share than have the pie all to yourself. Local recruits aren't as important as it used to be.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:58 pm

kayako wrote:
Xudash wrote:Villanova is in full "boat race" mode in every regard with respect to the Big 5 (albeit PENN is its own unique academic beast). At the very least, Nova "owns" St. Joe's, LossSalle and Temple, yet it cannot possibly have any institutional desire to open the door for any one of those three to the BE, even if Philly is a big enough town to warrant two members.

When Temple was good, they would've been an afterthought in the BE. The current BE can probably use early John Chaney era Temple program, but I'm afraid they'll never get back to that level. I'm a big believer in synergy created by local relevant rivalries. Sometimes it's better to share than have the pie all to yourself. Local recruits aren't as important as it used to be.

what is strange about Temple is they actually had a good guy replacing the legend(which is so unusual). I think the next hire for Temple is going to be an absolute critical one for them.
stever20

Postby Husky_U » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:30 pm

Ya, the only non-FBS school worth losing the DRR is Gonzaga. Zags or bust.
Husky_U

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:51 pm

kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

Why limit yourself to private? This must be the assumption Dayton fans make and delude themselves into thinking they're the best natural fit for the BE.

You don't necessarily have to, but the league seems to care about being private as part of "institutional fit" and was only willing to make an exception for UConn. If a public school stood out as a clearly superior add then go for it, but I don't see one.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:05 am

Bogg wrote:Maybe it's just me, but if the conference office/Fox makes the decision that expanding is what's best for the conference/a tv deal extension, I'm not bothered by the idea of Saint Louis and/or Dayton. The one thing I wouldn't like about any expansion is losing the DRR, which I think makes for a wonderfully fun conference experience even if there's some evidence it may not be the best thing for NCAA tournament seeding. Dayton/SLU are fine by me if Fox specifically requests more inventory. They've been a real good partner for the league, so taking care of them as part of a new long-term deal makes sense for everyone.

Hall2012 wrote:There's nobody out there who just works. If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

This is essentially the Saint Louis argument. They fit as an academic institution, the arena's already there and the crowds are okay, and the current coach seems decent. Saint Louis is a good recruiting area and the city isn't squarely B1G or SEC territory, so there's oxygen to grow the fan base. A Big East recruiting bump should result in a pretty strong program.

That's why there were in my list. They're an institutional fit with a solid foundation and I think a move to a major conference could be a big spark for them. Especially playing in a great sports city with no NBA team. I went to the game when SHU played there a couple years ago and that game drew a great crowd.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 am

I wonder if Syracuse , pitt and MD come crawling back . BC? Lol
DeadHeadHoya

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board