2021-22 non Big East games of interest

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2021-22 non Big East games of interest

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:57 pm

stever20 wrote:Syracuse loses to Wake Forest and they are now 7-8. Will this be 1st losing season ever for Boeheim?

That would be quite sad as this the year he has two of children playing on the team. Will probably be devastating for the family to have such a bad year on top of the fact the ACC is really weak and should be easier for them to compete.

Its also sad to see how a once mighty northeast program has fallen. As much as I dislike the Syracuse program, I think having a decent SU program is good for Northeast basketball in the same way that having SJU, Georgetown strong is good for Northeast basketball. For the eyeballs in the region to remain interested in CBB we need the top-tier to be strong. We don't want CBB to disappear into obscurity like CFB did in the Northeast.

I'm glad we have a strong Villanova, Seton Hall, UConn, and Providence programs keeping the region in the T25.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bogg » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
stever20 wrote:Syracuse loses to Wake Forest and they are now 7-8. Will this be 1st losing season ever for Boeheim?

That would be quite sad as this the year he has two of children playing on the team. Will probably be devastating for the family to have such a bad year on top of the fact the ACC is really weak and should be easier for them to compete.

Its also sad to see how a once mighty northeast program has fallen. As much as I dislike the Syracuse program, I think having a decent SU program is good for Northeast basketball in the same way that having SJU, Georgetown strong is good for Northeast basketball. For the eyeballs in the region to remain interested in CBB we need the top-tier to be strong. We don't want CBB to disappear into obscurity like CFB did in the Northeast.

I'm glad we have a strong Villanova, Seton Hall, UConn, and Providence programs keeping the region in the T25.

I mean, Syracuse is only going to fall so far, but I'd argue it's pretty clearly in the Big East's interest for the Northeast's "top tier" to be Big East programs. Syracuse is going to be competing with the eastern Big East programs for the same recruits, and you want to win a good number of those battles.
Bogg

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:20 pm

Bogg wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:

I mean, Syracuse is only going to fall so far, but I'd argue it's pretty clearly in the Big East's interest for the Northeast's "top tier" to be Big East programs. Syracuse is going to be competing with the eastern Big East programs for the same recruits, and you want to win a good number of those battles.

In a way I guess you are right. But I do think there is enough national talent to ensure all N.E programs remain fairly good. What I want for the Northeast is to become a magnet for recruits from outside the region. We need to be the aggressor overall in recruits from outside the region and not be preyed upon by programs from other regions in our home market. It can be done.
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bogg » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:45 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:In a way I guess you are right. But I do think there is enough national talent to ensure all N.E programs remain fairly good. What I want for the Northeast is to become a magnet for recruits from outside the region. We need to be the aggressor overall in recruits from outside the region and not be preyed upon by programs from other regions in our home market. It can be done.

I just don't see how Syracuse being successful benefits Seton Hall or Providence in any way, since they don't regularly play against them or get a cut of their TV package. A good Syracuse does nothing to help Ed Cooley recruit in Atlanta.
Bogg

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am

Yeah. Back in 2014-2018 when UConn fans were angry I used to tell them the importance of a strong Northeast and that it was good for the Northeast to have those Big East school be decent. They hated it and they reacted in similar fashion. They wanted everyone to burn. But that's shortsighted and myopic. They saw no value in it then.

I think that the more teams the region has in the hunt every year the better it is to keep the region interested and excited in college basketball long-term at the macro level (forget about conference affiliations for a min and recruiting competition).

We should also continue to encourage more top-tier regional teams to play each other. BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers should be playing several of our Big East programs every years. Everyone should be playing each other. This short-term mentality of "I have nothing to gain" and "I have a lot to lose" is why the Northeast constantly gets preyed upon. Everyone just looks at things very short-term in $$$, but casual fan interests and excitement in CBB is a bit more long-term and those are the people you want draw in also.
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:Yeah. Back in 2014-2018 when UConn fans were angry I used to tell them the importance of a strong Northeast and that it was good for the Northeast to have those Big East school be decent. They hated it and they reacted in similar fashion. They wanted everyone to burn. But that's shortsighted and myopic. They saw no value in it then.

I think that the more teams the region has in the hunt every year the better it is to keep the region interested and excited in college basketball long-term at the macro level (forget about conference affiliations for a min and recruiting competition).

We should also continue to encourage more top-tier regional teams to play each other. BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers should be playing several of our Big East programs every years. Everyone should be playing each other. This short-term mentality of "I have nothing to gain" and "I have a lot to lose" is why the Northeast constantly gets preyed upon. Everyone just looks at things very short-term in $$$, but casual fan interests and excitement in CBB is a bit more long-term and those are the people you want draw in also.

I think the going to 20 conference games hurts things a lot. There just isn't a ton of room on the schedules for those kind of games. I mean now a team like a Providence for instance has 20 conference games, 2-3 exempt tournament games, and 1-2 conference challenge games That's 23-25 games accounted for, with only 11 being home games(assuming in the challenges 1 home and 1 away). Providence plays last 5 normal years looks like 17.2 home games per year. So that doesn't leave much room to schedule an OOC series.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:01 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:Yeah. Back in 2014-2018 when UConn fans were angry I used to tell them the importance of a strong Northeast and that it was good for the Northeast to have those Big East school be decent. They hated it and they reacted in similar fashion. They wanted everyone to burn. But that's shortsighted and myopic. They saw no value in it then.

The big difference is that UConn was on an island with no regional competition in the AAC. We're not. We are the strong northeast. We have 6 of the best programs in the northeast region playing each other twice a year and then gathering at MSG for the main event. Syracuse, Pitt and BC chose to go hang out in North Carolina, Rutgers chose to go hang out in Iowa or something. Those programs being good doesn't hurt us significantly, but it doesn't help us either. If we really want to see the strength of northeast basketball improve, it would be way more beneficial to see an entire northeast based conference, like the A10, MAAC or NEC rise to the high-major level than to see a few island schools that take our talent off to play in the south and midwest be successful.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Great reply/rebuttal to (escazado's) ecasado's rose-colored "why can't we be friends" with s'cuse-pitt-bc-rutgers logic. Ideally a true NE conference rises up to prominence.

Agree the folks above in the ACC/B1G offer no redeeming value to us. May the above defectors rot in hell.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm

stever20 wrote:

I think the going to 20 conference games hurts things a lot. There just isn't a ton of room on the schedules for those kind of games. I mean now a team like a Providence for instance has 20 conference games, 2-3 exempt tournament games, and 1-2 conference challenge games That's 23-25 games accounted for, with only 11 being home games(assuming in the challenges 1 home and 1 away). Providence plays last 5 normal years looks like 17.2 home games per year. So that doesn't leave much room to schedule an OOC series.

That's a great point Stever that I honestly did not consider. I think it does make it a whole lot more difficult to schedule games between the top tier of the Northeast OOC which IMO kinda sucks if you are a casual Northeast CBB and just want to see great match-ups. That amounts to 12 less out-of-conference games for the 6 Northeast Big East teams and if you want a balanced OOC schedule it makes it quiet difficult to schedule those heavy teams.

Fortunately we have 4 strong Northeast teams right now within the Big East which is great (SH, PC, UConn, Nova)
ecasadoSBU

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Great reply/rebuttal to (escazado's) ecasado's rose-colored "why can't we be friends" with s'cuse-pitt-bc-rutgers logic. Ideally a true NE conference rises up to prominence.

Agree the folks above in the ACC/B1G offer no redeeming value to us. May the above defectors rot in hell.

This conversation isn't really for Lil' Creighton fans or the mid-western schools! :D
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board