2021-22 non Big East games of interest

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2021-22 non Big East games of interest

Postby stever20 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:50 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:BYU loses a game to Vanderbilt in the Diamond Head Classic. WCC kind of been leaking a bit here in the last few weeks. BYU now only 9-3 vs D1 with 1 game left vs Liberty. No Q1 wins right now(though Utah on the road at 76 is real close).

Not too much to talk about these few days with so few games scheduled on top of all the cancelled games.

4 bids for the WCC is fascinating, because they're what, 9th or 10th highest NET average?

Latest bracketville projection:

ACC - 3 bids
PAC12 - 3 bids
MW - 2 bids
American - 2 bids (1 at-large)
WCC - 4 bids
A10 - 1 bid

But 3 WCC teams are in the bubble, near where Marquette is, and I think too much has to align for 4 bids to happen.

To me though the advantage the WCC teams have is they already have a lot of games under their belts- and with only 16 conference games with 10 easier ones- it's easy for them to finish with 22+ wins. I know you don't like it but overall record means something.

seeing still not live today. bummer. Wonder what it takes to get live again?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:17 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:BYU loses a game to Vanderbilt in the Diamond Head Classic. WCC kind of been leaking a bit here in the last few weeks. BYU now only 9-3 vs D1 with 1 game left vs Liberty. No Q1 wins right now(though Utah on the road at 76 is real close).

Not too much to talk about these few days with so few games scheduled on top of all the cancelled games.

4 bids for the WCC is fascinating, because they're what, 9th or 10th highest NET average?

Latest bracketville projection:

ACC - 3 bids
PAC12 - 3 bids
MW - 2 bids
American - 2 bids (1 at-large)
WCC - 4 bids
A10 - 1 bid

But 3 WCC teams are in the bubble, near where Marquette is, and I think too much has to align for 4 bids to happen.

To me though the advantage the WCC teams have is they already have a lot of games under their belts- and with only 16 conference games with 10 easier ones- it's easy for them to finish with 22+ wins. I know you don't like it but overall record means something.

seeing still not live today. bummer. Wonder what it takes to get live again?

I just dont see the WCC getting 4 bids. USF, St. Mary's and BYU are kinda near the bubble, I don't see all 3 making it unless they only lose to each other.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Jet915 wrote:
I just dont see the WCC getting 4 bids. USF, St. Mary's and BYU are kinda near the bubble, I don't see all 3 making it unless they only lose to each other.

someone has to get the bids. Their records are going to be so big that it's gonna be tough to have them left out. I think it's very possible the top 4 teams all go 10-0 vs the rest of the WCC. That's going to lead to some very fat records.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:21 am

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

someone has to get the bids. Their records are going to be so big that it's gonna be tough to have them left out. I think it's very possible the top 4 teams all go 10-0 vs the rest of the WCC. That's going to lead to some very fat records.

Oh God is Stever turning into the board’s WCC shill now?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:05 am

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Oh God is Stever turning into the board’s WCC shill now?

No but I do think it's going to be a whole lot easier to get them 4 bids than folks here think. If they get 10-11 wins against everyone else, their overall records are going to just be real good. I think overall records means more than some here think.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:56 am

Omaha1 wrote:Oh God is Stever turning into the board’s WCC shill now?

WCC shill stever is exactly what we need.
supernova
kayako

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

That's not going to happen. The top 4 in the WCC will not go 40-0 against the bottom 5. If you've watched any college bball this season, you would know that the only "trend" seems to be that almost anyone can beat almost anyone on a given day. Is it possible? Of course it is. Is it likely? No. Even if we operate under the assumption that the Zags will go 10-0 (that actually seems probable), San Fran, BYU and St Mary's are not going to go 30-0 against the bottom 5. And when they do lose to one of those dregs, there goes the bid. That's the problem with conferences that have shitburgers to be served...you have one, you are in trouble and two, enjoy the NIT. Santa Clara is actually decent (non-shitburger) and all 4 of those teams are not going to beat them twice. And the others have NETs from 163 to 302. One off night is gonna be a problem.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

That's not going to happen. The top 4 in the WCC will not go 40-0 against the bottom 5. If you've watched any college bball this season, you would know that the only "trend" seems to be that almost anyone can beat almost anyone on a given day. Is it possible? Of course it is. Is it likely? No. Even if we operate under the assumption that the Zags will go 10-0 (that actually seems probable), San Fran, BYU and St Mary's are not going to go 30-0 against the bottom 5. And when they do lose to one of those dregs, there goes the bid. That's the problem with conferences that have shitburgers to be served...you have one, you are in trouble and two, enjoy the NIT. Santa Clara is actually decent (non-shitburger) and all 4 of those teams are not going to beat them twice. And the others have NETs from 163 to 302. One off night is gonna be a problem.

I think it's more possible than you think that they could go 30-0. One thing as well, BYU only gets 1 game with Santa Clara so they even have it a smidge easier.

You also have the 4 games against each other in play.

Just think end of the year could easily see-
Gonzaga obvious
BYU at 22-7
San Fran at 24-5
St Mary's at 23-7

that would be going 10-0 against the rest of the conference, 0-2 vs Gonzaga and 2-2 vs each other.

Then in the conference tourney the 3 and 4 seeds would get another win vs 5 and 6 seeds then lose to 1 and 2 seeds. 2 seed loses to 1 seed.

so could wind up with
BYU at 23-8
San Fran at 25-6
St Mary's at 24-8

Yeah, that's going to make the tourney IMO pretty easily.

I think actually a big key for the WCC is can BYU and San Fran be top 30 teams. If so, they're Q1 home games.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:43 pm

One thing that might be interesting with the WCC is if they have some cancellations(ok, when they have some) would they just be able to push back the conference tourney a day or two and be able to use early that week to make up some games.
stever20

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:45 pm

stever20 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:

I think it's more possible than you think that they could go 30-0. One thing as well, BYU only gets 1 game with Santa Clara so they even have it a smidge easier.

You also have the 4 games against each other in play.

Just think end of the year could easily see-
Gonzaga obvious
BYU at 22-7
San Fran at 24-5
St Mary's at 23-7

that would be going 10-0 against the rest of the conference, 0-2 vs Gonzaga and 2-2 vs each other.

Then in the conference tourney the 3 and 4 seeds would get another win vs 5 and 6 seeds then lose to 1 and 2 seeds. 2 seed loses to 1 seed.

so could wind up with
BYU at 23-8
San Fran at 25-6
St Mary's at 24-8

Yeah, that's going to make the tourney IMO pretty easily.

I think actually a big key for the WCC is can BYU and San Fran be top 30 teams. If so, they're Q1 home games.

I will bet anything you want to bet that BYU, San Fran, and St. Mary's will not go 36-0 against the rest of the league (there's 6 other teams in the conference: Santa Clara, LMU, San Diego, Pepperdine, Portland, and Pacific). Literally anything. House. Car. First born. And when they do lose, they better hope it's to Santa Clara or maybe, maybe, LMU cause anyone else and their NET drops like an Art Kaluma tomahawk dunk.

Stever's back, baby, declaring tourney locks in December. LOL. You switched from declaring Temple a lock in December to San Fran but same ole Stever.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board