(1) Friday, 12/17/21, Villanova @ Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Friday, 12/17/21, Villanova @ Creighton

Postby stever20 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:21 am

The issue though is with things like the transfer portal, I don't know that the Wright system will work going forward. Other teams will have more veteran players, and freshmen that Wright doesn't play will find it even easier to transfer and play elsewhere.

Nova seems like a situation that would be most adversely impacted by the transfer portal of almost anyone else in the country.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 am

Novachap wrote:
kayako wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:
What Jay also does is make you learn his system, and he doesn't play you until you have his defense down pat, etc. It is now hurting us. We have some really, really good freshmen who should be on the floor, but Jay goes with experience first. Our experience has not been shining recently but they are still given the reigns. Until Jay starts giving some of the younger guys a chance to get on the floor and make some mistakes, because HELL, that is what freshmen do, I am not expecting much this season.

I don't know if it's as simple as not playing first year players. Moore, JRE, Bey, Gillespie, DCR, Brunson, etc all got minutes as true freshmen. It seems like players either "get" the system from the start or they look completely lost for 2-3 years. If no freshman crack the rotation this season, that's 2 seasons in a row. It's unsustainable.

Yeah, fire the guy, time to move on. Clearly, no one else would hire the guy because he was a 1 (2) hit wonder.

Good Lord. They aren't making a run for the NC this year, but they will be good by year end. Probably won't win the BE regular season... but what IS unsustainable is year after year winning it. There are cycles of roster management. We wanted to recruit with the big guys, guess what, those kids can leave early and that is what happened to us. Key pieces planned for bolted and rightly so. Combine that with many of the Frosh not picking it up and injuries, well you get the roster shortcomings have now. No quickness, no really good big rim protector and no one to break down the D at the end of the shot clock.

So, is Jay rigid in his philosophy, hell yes. But, it works over the long term for sustained excellence. Does he adapt, yes he does. Who first went 4 out (albeit out of necessity) and changed college basketball? Would I like to see Antoine, Longino, nnana play more? Of course, but the guy has forgotten more about hoops than anybody on this or the nova boards. Is he infallible, no he is not. He makes mistakes too..but man...

There are very places that have enjoyed the level of success Jay has brought to Nova. .. it ain't luck.

Confirmed: Still some people in Philly area with a brain.
Friarsfan94

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:42 am

Novachap wrote:
Yeah, fire the guy, time to move on. Clearly, no one else would hire the guy because he was a 1 (2) hit wonder.

No one's suggesting this. Nova can miss the tourney for the next 10 seasons and I wouldn't call for his head. He's represented the university well from day one, as has the players he's recruited. Just saying that I think the stars aligned for the incredibly dominant 5 season stretch from 2013 to 2018. I think it's also fair to question why Nova often appears outmanned against good competition when we're getting elite level recruits and hardly anyone transfers out?
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Villanova will be fine. There is no letdown in Radnor, there is only a bit of unexpected attrition.

Jay has had 2 or more elite players each year on his team for a decade. However, that number has tapered off
the last 2 seasons (and this year). Bey was the guy, then JRE - both left early, attrition to the pro game, such is life.
One elite player each of the past 2 seasons - none this season. (unless there is a frosh on the bench - but has not grasped
the system yet.)

The restofus have had to step up our recruiting game and have done so. The talent in this league has caught up over the
last 2 years and it has shown up in the competition level. Nova has been in a war both seasons, not running over the league
as they had previously. This year talent-wise they are not the best team in this league. Therefore, based on talent, it is unreasonable
to expect Nova to win the BE. They were the pick by pundits, talking heads, & the coaches solely due to past performance.

SH, X, Prov, UConn all have equal or better talent. This season will definitely be a war amongst the top 4-5 teams.

Gonna be a great season in the BEAST! All hail the survivor team!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Let's hope the current ranked BE teams can stay ranked. Hope Prov can join the ranked party also.
The rest of us need the frontrunners to have the national notoriety in order to help us make the dance.
If 4-5 teams (Nova, X, UConn, SH, Prov) can stay ranked it helps the entire conference (BPI/NET/RPI) etc.

Creighton is not going to receive enough credit for this Nova win...nor for 2 W's over ranked teams in 1 week.
A win of this magnitude can potentially help upset the pre-season national narrative. Oh no, that cannot happen.
But 2 back-to-back losses of this magnitude dropped UK out of the rankings at 7-4?
Jays will need to beat a few other BE ranked teams. Problem is we won't see them until mid to late January (X, 2 games)
or February (SH, UConn, Prov). Our next possible ranked opponent is Nova @Radnor on Jan. 5, 2022. We all know how
Radnor games go... :lol: Now if Both were ranked, it would put extra luster on the rematch next month.

Happy trails to the rest of you....
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Django » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:49 pm

My take on Gillespie is he's been around too long. Seeing him this year makes me think Ballock and Zegarowski were smart to move on (to G/Euro leagues) after last year (they could have come back)... they prolly would be struggling as well. At some point you need to change your scenery or you get into a rut.
Django

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:30 pm

kayako wrote:I am starting to think Jay Wright just got extremely lucky for about 5 year stretch when his teams typically had 5 or 6 NBA players, which was not by design. He's a great coach, but I am starting to doubt his ability to evolve.

Wizard of Westroads

Postby kayako » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
kayako wrote:I am starting to think Jay Wright just got extremely lucky for about 5 year stretch when his teams typically had 5 or 6 NBA players, which was not by design. He's a great coach, but I am starting to doubt his ability to evolve.

You should've saved this for Nova's FInal Four berth. Totally wasted on a regular season home win.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board