(1) Friday, 12/17/21, Villanova @ Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Friday, 12/17/21, Villanova @ Creighton

Postby Xuperman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:27 am

WTF just happened? Seismic tremors felt throughout the Big East and there is blood in the water. Hungry Wolves are stalking the gilded throne!
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:09 am

Field of 68 after dark talks Creighton and Big East for first 20 min or so....

https://youtu.be/MCCXJi3zxyM
Jet915

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:17 am

I was unable to watch the game tonight so I DVR'd it. I won't be watching tomorrow either. I did just want to give a shoutout to my boy gtmoBlue and the Jays though. You took Villanova down to Chinatown tonight. Great win for Creighton.

Here is the deal, Villanova fans LOVE Jay. No doubt about it, he is our guy. Jay though, has this philosophy that you have to buy in, it's a good philosophy because he doesn't want guys to come in and disrupt chemistry and muddy the waters because of their egos. I get that. What Jay also does is make you learn his system, and he doesn't play you until you have his defense down pat, etc. It is now hurting us. We have some really, really good freshmen who should be on the floor, but Jay goes with experience first. Our experience has not been shining recently but they are still given the reigns. Until Jay starts giving some of the younger guys a chance to get on the floor and make some mistakes, because HELL, that is what freshmen do, I am not expecting much this season. I do feel Villanova will turn it around at some point, but trust me when I tell you Villanova fans are starting to question Jay's philosophy that experience is always better. It is time to give the younger guys a chance. To confirm, this has been discussed at length on the Villanova board. We love Jay, but again, freshmen make mistakes. Allow them to make mistakes, give them a chance to play and grow outside of practice. Personally I think Longino is the most ready and he should be playing 15-20 a game. Hopefully Antoine gets healthy soon and he becomes part of the discussion.

Again, gtmoBlue is my boy! Congrats to the Jays on the beatdown!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby X Factor » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:33 am

kayako wrote:I am starting to think Jay Wright just got extremely lucky for about 5 year stretch when his teams typically had 5 or 6 NBA players, which was not by design. He's a great coach, but I am starting to doubt his ability to evolve.

This is ridiculous. Wright has won 2 National Championships. You don't just get lucky and do that.
X Factor

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:39 am

X Factor wrote:
kayako wrote:I am starting to think Jay Wright just got extremely lucky for about 5 year stretch when his teams typically had 5 or 6 NBA players, which was not by design. He's a great coach, but I am starting to doubt his ability to evolve.

This is ridiculous. Wright has won 2 National Championships. You don't just get lucky and do that.

Jay needs certain type of players in his system. What's evident to me is that he was lucky getting a bunch of those type of players in a short time span who were also next level talent.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:02 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
What Jay also does is make you learn his system, and he doesn't play you until you have his defense down pat, etc. It is now hurting us. We have some really, really good freshmen who should be on the floor, but Jay goes with experience first. Our experience has not been shining recently but they are still given the reigns. Until Jay starts giving some of the younger guys a chance to get on the floor and make some mistakes, because HELL, that is what freshmen do, I am not expecting much this season.

I don't know if it's as simple as not playing first year players. Moore, JRE, Bey, Gillespie, DCR, Brunson, etc all got minutes as true freshmen. It seems like players either "get" the system from the start or they look completely lost for 2-3 years. If no freshman crack the rotation this season, that's 2 seasons in a row. It's unsustainable.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:55 am

Wow, just saw the score. Perhaps it is time to lower our expectations for Nova this year.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby anXUfan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:00 am

Jay Wright is exactly what I’d want in a college coach. Elite success and elite class.
anXUfan

Postby Novachap » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:16 am

kayako wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:
What Jay also does is make you learn his system, and he doesn't play you until you have his defense down pat, etc. It is now hurting us. We have some really, really good freshmen who should be on the floor, but Jay goes with experience first. Our experience has not been shining recently but they are still given the reigns. Until Jay starts giving some of the younger guys a chance to get on the floor and make some mistakes, because HELL, that is what freshmen do, I am not expecting much this season.

I don't know if it's as simple as not playing first year players. Moore, JRE, Bey, Gillespie, DCR, Brunson, etc all got minutes as true freshmen. It seems like players either "get" the system from the start or they look completely lost for 2-3 years. If no freshman crack the rotation this season, that's 2 seasons in a row. It's unsustainable.

Yeah, fire the guy, time to move on. Clearly, no one else would hire the guy because he was a 1 (2) hit wonder.

Good Lord. They aren't making a run for the NC this year, but they will be good by year end. Probably won't win the BE regular season... but what IS unsustainable is year after year winning it. There are cycles of roster management. We wanted to recruit with the big guys, guess what, those kids can leave early and that is what happened to us. Key pieces planned for bolted and rightly so. Combine that with many of the Frosh not picking it up and injuries, well you get the roster shortcomings have now. No quickness, no really good big rim protector and no one to break down the D at the end of the shot clock.

So, is Jay rigid in his philosophy, hell yes. But, it works over the long term for sustained excellence. Does he adapt, yes he does. Who first went 4 out (albeit out of necessity) and changed college basketball? Would I like to see Antoine, Longino, nnana play more? Of course, but the guy has forgotten more about hoops than anybody on this or the nova boards. Is he infallible, no he is not. He makes mistakes too..but man...

There are very places that have enjoyed the level of success Jay has brought to Nova. .. it ain't luck.
Novachap

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:19 am

Novachap wrote:
kayako wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:

Yeah, fire the guy, time to move on. Clearly, no one else would hire the guy because he was a 1 (2) hit wonder.

Good Lord. They aren't making a run for the NC this year, but they will be good by year end. Probably won't win the BE regular season... but what IS unsustainable is year after year winning it. There are cycles of roster management. We wanted to recruit with the big guys, guess what, those kids can leave early and that is what happened to us. Key pieces planned for bolted and rightly so. Combine that with many of the Frosh not picking it up and injuries, well you get the roster shortcomings have now. No quickness, no really good big rim protector and no one to break down the D at the end of the shot clock.

So, is Jay rigid in his philosophy, hell yes. But, it works over the long term for sustained excellence. Does he adapt, yes he does. Who first went 4 out (albeit out of necessity) and changed college basketball? Would I like to see Antoine, Longino, nnana play more? Of course, but the guy has forgotten more about hoops than anybody on this or the nova boards. Is he infallible, no he is not. He makes mistakes too..but man...

There are very places that have enjoyed the level of success Jay has brought to Nova. .. it ain't luck.

Not to worry, Chap, he'll be a genius again after they beat X on Tuesday.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board