Rankings for 2021-22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rankings for 2021-22

Postby Bogg » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:54 am

Don't get too caught up in the magic number generators. Just be comfortably in the top 6 conferences annually and aim for 5+ bids a season and the conference will be fine.
Bogg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Bogg wrote:Don't get too caught up in the magic number generators. Just be comfortably in the top 6 conferences annually and aim for 5+ bids a season and the conference will be fine.

Oh. I'm not worried about the future of the Big East at all. I just want the most bids possible. lol #feelingGreedy
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:43 pm

I'd be more than happy if we can finish top 3 with multiple ranked teams and not have to sweat a 4th bid like last year. Just a week ago we were #4, the league has had an excellent week and is very well positioned.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm

adoraz wrote:I'd be more than happy if we can finish top 3 with multiple ranked teams and not have to sweat a 4th bid like last year. Just a week ago we were #4, the league has had an excellent week and is very well positioned.

you aren't going to believe this but I think 7 is more likely than 4 the way things are going.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:31 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:I'd be more than happy if we can finish top 3 with multiple ranked teams and not have to sweat a 4th bid like last year. Just a week ago we were #4, the league has had an excellent week and is very well positioned.

you aren't going to believe this but I think 7 is more likely than 4 the way things are going.

Yeah I'd agree with that. 6 is probably the most likely I'd say, followed by 5, 7, 4, then 8. As long as the league doesn't do an awful job the next 10ish days we shouldn't have to worry about a repeat of last year. With UConn back, 5 bids should be the minimum we shoot for every year, even though we've only had 4 bids during 3 years (2014, 2019 & 2021). All 3 of those years we were also extremely close to having 3 bids rather than 4, so we got lucky.

For the Big East it's important to be in that #2-4 conference range, just so ESPN or whatever can't discredit us by leaving us out of Power 5 narratives. I've seen a lot of sports writers saying Power 6 or Power 5 + Big East. #1 would be great obviously, but #2 or #3 does more than enough to keep us as part of the Power narrative.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:22 pm

Listen... There is no reason to worry about the status of the Big East as a power conference anymore. Lets get rid of that inferiority complex. The way things have trended the past decade there is no way in hell the PAC12 will consistently outplay the Big East (last year was ruined by the Pandemic so its really hard to properly rate the conferences and I don't really weight it much). So at the very least this conference will be a top-5 league every year. The top-6 leagues are multi-bid leagues every year so nothing to worry about.

the average basketball fan treats the big east as one of the big boys like the pre-2013 league. Only a few in the media try to downplay the Big East due to conflict of interests
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:44 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Listen... There is no reason to worry about the status of the Big East as a power conference anymore. Lets get rid of that inferiority complex. The way things have trended the past decade there is no way in hell the PAC12 will consistently outplay the Big East (last year was ruined by the Pandemic so its really hard to properly rate the conferences and I don't really weight it much). So at the very least this conference will be a top-5 league every year. The top-6 leagues are multi-bid leagues every year so nothing to worry about.

the average basketball fan treats the big east as one of the big boys like the pre-2013 league. Only a few in the media try to downplay the Big East due to conflict of interests

I kind of disagree. the pre-2013 league was viewed as being one of the top 2 every year. This version right now is really good, I mean really good, but not quite in that same realm.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Listen... There is no reason to worry about the status of the Big East as a power conference anymore. Lets get rid of that inferiority complex. The way things have trended the past decade there is no way in hell the PAC12 will consistently outplay the Big East (last year was ruined by the Pandemic so its really hard to properly rate the conferences and I don't really weight it much). So at the very least this conference will be a top-5 league every year. The top-6 leagues are multi-bid leagues every year so nothing to worry about.

There's a reason to have an inferiority complex when you actually are inferior, and that was the case last year on Selection Sunday. Sure, we got pretty unlucky with a lot of NIT teams (who didn't even accept their invites). We also have fewer teams than most P5s, so when we're down it's more apparent. Even though we were #4 in the NET rankings we were #6 on Selection Sunday, and it took a very unlikely Georgetown run to get a 4th team in. A few months ago Val was talking potential expansion, which I honestly believe was entirely due to our down year (along with the Big XII and SEC adding more teams). I'd bet that talk goes away after this year.

Anyway, last year we didn't have a great year and this year we have thus far. I'm happy with that. Various national sportswriters are noting that we're having a bounce back year, and it's important that we're having one.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:36 pm

adoraz wrote:

There's a reason to have an inferiority complex when you actually are inferior, and that was the case last year on Selection Sunday. Sure, we got pretty unlucky with a lot of NIT teams (who didn't even accept their invites). We also have fewer teams than most P5s, so when we're down it's more apparent. Even though we were #4 in the NET rankings we were #6 on Selection Sunday, and it took a very unlikely Georgetown run to get a 4th team in. A few months ago Val was talking potential expansion, which I honestly believe was entirely due to our down year (along with the Big XII and SEC adding more teams). I'd bet that talk goes away after this year.

Anyway, last year we didn't have a great year and this year we have thus far. I'm happy with that. Various national sportswriters are noting that we're having a bounce back year, and it's important that we're having one.

I think last year was a grain of salt type of thing, and pretty much everyone views it as such. It was such a screwy season with pauses etc.
stever20

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:58 pm

I doubt this strong start eliminates expansion plans, because it doesn't change that 12 > 11 in many ways and the contract with FOX is still up for renewal. But perhaps Gonzaga idea is shelved for good. That just looks like a crazy desperation move for the conference.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board