(3) Sunday Big East Games 12/5/21

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Sunday Big East Games 12/5/21

Postby sju88grad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:19 pm

Congrats X!!

Listening to John Fanta and Kim Adams call the SJU game……what a great team…….not hysterical, knowledgeable…..
sju88grad

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm

so for the weekend the league goes 5-5 vs D1 opposition. Think it was as projected- but Xavier won when not expected while Creighton lost when expected to win.

Think for the league that's a pretty good tradeoff. Think Xavier expected to be better than Creighton.

21 games this week coming up I believe with 14 tough ones. Gigantic week here. Kind of amazing, isn't this typically finals week?
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:54 pm

Oklahoma State should be embarrassed, that was the weakest home court advantage I have seen in a long time.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 am

DudeAnon wrote:Oklahoma State should be embarrassed, that was the weakest home court advantage I have seen in a long time.

Yeah, thought the same thing. And therein lies the difference between a BB school and a FB school. Okl St, all in on their beloved football, loses on Saturday so no one shows up on Sunday to support their hoops team. TERRIBLE environment; 80% empty.
Side note…WTF with some of those calls? I mean 3 no-doubt-about-it calls were missed in plain sight. A player called for stepping on sideline when he was 2 feet in. A 2 hands, blatant push in the back as Scruggs was trying to feed the post not called. Then the guy guarding Nunge reaches around him to block an entry pass, right in front of the ref. It was completely obvious who touched it last. Then OSU tries to swap foul shooters on the sly. Some shady activity afoot in Stillwater.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 am

DudeAnon wrote:Oklahoma State should be embarrassed, that was the weakest home court advantage I have seen in a long time.

Yeah I noticed that as well, totally empty. Looked like a Georgetown game.
Jet915

Postby cu blujs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 am

I know the betting line had CU favored, but was Creighton really expected to win? ISU is ranked 19th. CU lost to the only other good team on their schedule so far, and ISU has a really good defense. Granted, CU squandered chances to win, but at this point in the development of this team, I didn't expect a Creighton win Saturday. In our final two non-com games, I think BYU will be a toss up, but we should be able to handle a bad ASU team at home.
cu blujs

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 am

cu blujs wrote:I know the betting line had CU favored, but was Creighton really expected to win? ISU is ranked 19th. CU lost to the only other good team on their schedule so far, and ISU has a really good defense. Granted, CU squandered chances to win, but at this point in the development of this team, I didn't expect a Creighton win Saturday. In our final two non-com games, I think BYU will be a toss up, but we should be able to handle a bad ASU team at home.

YES...

All the pros in NJ and Vegas expected lil Cr8n to win...as did many amateurs - such as myself. I didn't expect ISU to get away with the hackfest, but oh well-such is officiating. A great warmup for Providence.
You think the oddsmakers just make shit up to hear themselves talk?

:lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Yeah, thought the same thing. And therein lies the difference between a BB school and a FB school. Okl St, all in on their beloved football, loses on Saturday so no one shows up on Sunday to support their hoops team. TERRIBLE environment; 80% empty.
Side note…WTF with some of those calls? I mean 3 no-doubt-about-it calls were missed in plain sight. A player called for stepping on sideline when he was 2 feet in. A 2 hands, blatant push in the back as Scruggs was trying to feed the post not called. Then the guy guarding Nunge reaches around him to block an entry pass, right in front of the ref. It was completely obvious who touched it last. Then OSU tries to swap foul shooters on the sly. Some shady activity afoot in Stillwater.

Watching that officiating wasn't painful, it was maddening. It was as though the "fix was in."

Our guys held it together. Travis putting us in a zone defense in the second half made all the difference in the world.

One other small observation: Hunter (Indiana transfer) has been a good pick-up for us overall. I say overall because he has shot way too many 3-attempts, clanking his way to a 20-ish% scoring rate. But he otherwise is long, very athletic, a good defender, good around the rim and he can make FT's. In essence, he is an upgrade from Carter. The observation is this: he attempted a 3 very early in the shot clock with the game winding down and with us with a double digit lead, and he missed it. OSU ran down and sunk a 3, and then followed that up with another 3. Travis took Hunter out of the game after that miss and he didn't see the floor after that. He could do that because Freemantle was back. Hunter was a very highly rated recruit out of Ohio and is known to have a well rounded game, but he can't get his head around making shots from behind the arc. Perhaps now he will learn to not depend upon that facet of his game for now, as his minutes will go down with Freemantle back. He can be a very effective piece of the puzzle. He just needs to finally understand that he isn't needed for hero ball.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Xudash wrote:
Our guys held it together. Travis putting us in a zone defense in the second half made all the difference in the world.

Perhaps X should try to zone a little more in coming games in order to get Nunge and Freemantle some minutes together.

you guys have a very talented team that will go as far if Travis can push the right buttons.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board