Rankings for 2021-22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rankings for 2021-22

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 am

NCAA releases first NET rankings for 2021 men's college basketball season – NCAA.com – January 4, 2021

Gonzaga Tops First NET Rankings of 2020-21 Season – SI.com – January 4, 2021

On November 18, 2021, stever20 wrote:
The NET Rankings won't get released until just before Christmas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On November 18, 2021, Django wrote:
On November 18, 2021, Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Django – this is the first instance in which I have ever heard anyone make this assertion (and I keep up with Ratings Methodology moreso than most college basketball fans). Please post your analyses which led you to such a profound conclusion, or alternatively, post a link to a reputable source which verifies your assertion that Massey is the closest to NET rankings, as you would not want anyone to think that you just made that up.

Stever agreed it’s a good one

Django – I would never consider stever to be a reputable source for anything, as he has the unfortunate habit of making things up instead of looking them up. Stever’s post that I quoted above is just one of many thousands of similar posts on HLOH, which I generally ignore. But giving stever credit for being a reputable source is just pushing things too far.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:.
NCAA releases first NET rankings for 2021 men's college basketball season – NCAA.com – January 4, 2021

Gonzaga Tops First NET Rankings of 2020-21 Season – SI.com – January 4, 2021

On November 18, 2021, stever20 wrote:
The NET Rankings won't get released until just before Christmas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On November 18, 2021, Django wrote:
On November 18, 2021, Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Django – this is the first instance in which I have ever heard anyone make this assertion (and I keep up with Ratings Methodology moreso than most college basketball fans). Please post your analyses which led you to such a profound conclusion, or alternatively, post a link to a reputable source which verifies your assertion that Massey is the closest to NET rankings, as you would not want anyone to think that you just made that up.

Stever agreed it’s a good one

Django – I would never consider stever to be a reputable source for anything, as he has the unfortunate habit of making things up instead of looking them up. Stever’s post that I quoted above is just one of many thousands of similar posts on HLOH, which I generally ignore. But giving stever credit for being a reputable source is just pushing things too far.

last year things got delayed due to Covid- a lot fewer games played in November/early December compared to normal. in 2019-20 season the 1st ratings got published on Dec 16. That's the normal time for initial release. I'd fully expect them to be released either Dec 13 or 20 for the 1st time this year- I'll guess 13th.

to show last year how screwed up things were- here were the records of the top 25 teams 1st release in early January. Anything but normal.
Gonzaga (7–0)
Baylor (6–0)
Tennessee (6–0)
Illinois (7–3)
Villanova (8–1)
Michigan (7–0)
Iowa (7–2)
Houston (7–0)
Texas (7–1)
Missouri (6–0)
Wisconsin (8–1)
Saint Louis (7–1)
Boise State (8–1)
Colorado (7–3)
Clemson (8–1)
Colgate (1–1)
Rutgers (7–2)
Texas Tech (8–3)
Oregon (6–1)
Drake (12–0)
Arizona (9–1)
Florida (5–1)
LSU (6–2)
Arkansas (9–1)
Syracuse (6–1)
stever20

Postby adoraz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:11 pm

/\ /\ /\ Interesting seeing that given many teams only played 6 games by that point- the same number some teams (such as Marquette) will reach this weekend. Hopefully we'll get NET rankings by December 13.

Here's a question: should Marquette be ranked even if they lose Sunday to #22 Bonnies (say in a close game)? They probably wouldn't be, but I think they'd deserve it. If they win of course they'll absolutely be ranked.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby marquette » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:20 pm

I think with an L to Bona we're probably in the Receiving Votes category. I want the win, but even that would be far ahead of where I thought this team would be at this point.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby adoraz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 pm

marquette wrote:I think with an L to Bona we're probably in the Receiving Votes category. I want the win, but even that would be far ahead of where I thought this team would be at this point.

I agree, but only due to pre-season expectations. Would be tough to find 25 teams with better resumes. Already 3 wins over Power conference teams, one of them being #10 Illinois.

If they win... gotta think they'll be ranked top 15.

Regardless of what happens, it's been an amazing start for Shaka!
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pm

adoraz wrote:/\ /\ /\ Interesting seeing that given many teams only played 6 games by that point- the same number some teams (such as Marquette) will reach this weekend. Hopefully we'll get NET rankings by December 13.

Here's a question: should Marquette be ranked even if they lose Sunday to #22 Bonnies (say in a close game)? They probably wouldn't be, but I think they'd deserve it. If they win of course they'll absolutely be ranked.

really was crazy how on 1/3 teams had only played that few games... So many games got cancelled.

My hunch is Marquette will get votes next week. But the loser of the Marquette/St Bonaventure game won't be ranked. Got so many teams that are forcing the issue that there just won't be any space.
stever20

Postby Django » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:14 am

We’re back to #1 conference in Massey after last years drop, let’s stay there boys. Being the #1 NET team two out of the last three years (and both of the last two non-Covid seasons helps cement our status as the best conference in basketball bar none

https://masseyratings.com/cb/ncaa-d1/ratings?c=1
Django

Postby jfan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:57 am

In CBSSports Top 25+ 1, they have 4 BE teams ranked with SH and X joining the fun. If Marquette wins against the Bonnies, they should also be ranked. If PC wins on Monday, and Creighton wins their tournament, both teams should start to pick up votes in the polls. PC should start to pick up some votes even if they lose. St Johns has been getting votes and that should continue despite the close loss to Indiana. Great League!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Django » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:00 am

People can knock our weak OOC schedule all they want but until Villanova starts winning with their Bataan Death March schedule they look like the dummies.
Django

Postby Django » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:02 am

jfan wrote:In CBSSports Top 25+ 1, they have 4 BE teams ranked with SH and X joining the fun. If Marquette wins against the Bonnies, they should also be ranked. If PC wins on Monday, and Creighton wins their tournament, both teams should start to pick up votes in the polls. PC should start to pick up some votes even if they lose. St Johns has been getting votes and that should continue despite the close loss to Indiana. Great League!

Marquette and Providence got robbed, f--- cBS
Django

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board