Line: Providence-13.5/135.5

1st rd.: Charleston Classic
Ole Miss vs. Marquette, 7:00, ESPN2 - Rich Hollenberg, Debbie Antonelli
Line: Mississippi-3.5/136.5

Rutgers @ DePaul, 8:30, FS1 - Eric Collins, Donny Marshall
Line:
Rutgers -2.5/133.5
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

(4) Thursday Big East Games 11/18/21

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (4) Thursday Big East Games 11/18/21

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 pm

MUPanther wrote:19 Ohio State @ Xavier, 6:30, FS1 - Brandon Gaudin, Bill Raftery
Line: Ohio State -1.5/141.5

New Hampshire @ Providence, 6:30, FS2 - John Fanta, Vin Parise
Line: Providence-13.5/135.5

1st rd.: Charleston Classic
Ole Miss vs. Marquette, 7:00, ESPN2 - Rich Hollenberg, Debbie Antonelli
Line: Mississippi-3.5/136.5

Rutgers @ DePaul, 8:30, FS1 - Eric Collins, Donny Marshall
Line:
Rutgers -2.5/133.5

to me the biggest game tomorrow is the Marquette game. So much SOS hinges on that one game. Win and you're looking at West Virginia followed by likely Clemson or St Bonaventure. Lose and you're looking at Elon and likely Temple or Boise St. Always say in those 8 game tournaments, that 1st round game is the biggest game by far.
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:55 am

Get real, ONLY if you're a Marquette fan.

Obviously for this board and more importantly the BEast.....X-OSU is now a big time showdown matchup. Not only would a Xavier dub hand our conference it's 1st outright Gavitt series victory, but it would also position the Big East to rise to the top of the conference power rankings along side the SEC. With the Maryland loss tonight (GMU LOL!), the B10 is really shell shocked at this point. The ACC is in a similar boat and the B12/PAC10 doesn't have the quality of depth to match us.

I can say there is some high anxiety amongst the Musketeers faithful going into this one. Mainly because there is zero chance Freemantle will play. His ability to score on an even level with EJ Liddell will be sorely missed. I think we can win the battle of the boards, match whatever defensive intensity the Buckeyes bring and hopefully notch a few extra on them from the line. Scruggs CAN NOT do any Casper the Ghost routine and anything under 30% from distance as a team spells trouble. Fortunately Nunge and Hunter are both very familiar with these guys, so a real possibility that could be the difference.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby kayako » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:57 am

Xuperman wrote:Get real, ONLY if you're a Marquette fan.

Obviously for this board and more importantly the BEast.....X-OSU is now a big time showdown matchup. Not only would a Xavier dub hand our conference it's 1st outright Gavitt series victory, but it would also position the Big East to rise to the top of the conference power rankings along side the SEC. With the Maryland loss tonight (GMU LOL!), the B10 is really shell shocked at this point. The ACC is in a similar boat and the B12/PAC10 doesn't have the quality of depth to match us.

I'd say X game is slightly more important for the conference perception wise, at least short term. Our top 5 would be seen as good as any other top 5, with a couple more interesting teams in the bubble territory. I don't buy the importance of SOS when destroying weak teams has proven to be the best NET strategy, and the BE looking stronger than expected with 20 conference games.

Having said that, I feel like DePaul and Marquette games are just as important. Rutgers has this sneaky effective strategy of playing nobody OOC and beating overrated Big Ten opponents at home. Losing at DePaul effectively takes away a tournament bid from the Big Ten. And for obvious reasons, the conference needs to see Shaka succeed in Milwaukee.

Hoping for 3-0 in these 3 games, but I'd be happy with 2-1. We're underdogs in all 3, but 1-2 would be a little disappointing.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:14 am

kayako wrote:
Xuperman wrote:Get real, ONLY if you're a Marquette fan.

I'd say X game is slightly more important for the conference perception wise, at least short term. Our top 5 would be seen as good as any other top 5, with a couple more interesting teams in the bubble territory. I don't buy the importance of SOS when destroying weak teams has proven to be the best NET strategy, and the BE looking stronger than expected with 20 conference games.

Having said that, I feel like DePaul and Marquette games are just as important. Rutgers has this sneaky effective strategy of playing nobody OOC and beating overrated Big Ten opponents at home. Losing at DePaul effectively takes away a tournament bid from the Big Ten. And for obvious reasons, the conference needs to see Shaka succeed in Milwaukee.

Hoping for 3-0 in these 3 games, but I'd be happy with 2-1. We're underdogs in all 3, but 1-2 would be a little disappointing.

The committee going back to 2019 used the NET more as a seeding tool vs a selection tool. remember Arizona St and St John's both made it in with NET ratings of 63 and 73. St John's made it in because they had 5 Q1 wins. Q1 matters more than SOS.
stever20

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:36 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xavier Hosts No. 19 Ohio State In Gavitt Tipoff Games – Xavier University – November 17, 2021

BUCKEYES PLAY XAVIER IN GAVITT GAMES THURSDAY – Ohio State University – November 17, 2021

OHIO STATE TRAVELS TO XAVIER FOR GAVITT GAMES MATCHUP – Eleven Warriors/Ohio State - November 18, 2021

Big East Conference Live Scoreboard – ESPN

GO MUSKETEERS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby stever20 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 pm

seeing on twitter that Ohio St forward Justice Sueing will be out for an extended period of time after having an abdominal injury evaluated earlier this week.

starter for all 31 games for them last season.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:10 pm

The Athletic...Seth Davis

Ol Seth is picking...in order.

XAVIER @Cintas over TOSU
Marquette over Ole Miss - Charleston, SC

Bonnies over Boise St - Charleston, SC
Clemson over Temple - Charleston, SC

Florida @Home over Milwaukee -
Rutgers over DePaul -@DePaul Naw, say it ain't soooo! Stubbs gits it done!
(Davis actually put a wager on Rutgers???!)

San Diego St (San Dog) @AZtec over Ariz St.

#RollBEASTRoll! X and da Demons gitter done!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:58 pm

I might be with Stever on this one. X-OSU is big, don't get me wrong, but a Marquette W suddenly puts a team most people weren't expecting much from in shape for a really strong OOC. An extra team going into league play with strong computer numbers means 2 more chances to impress for everyone else.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby sju88grad » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Must see TV tonight!! Let’s go X! Let’s go DePaul! Keep rolling Marquette!!
sju88grad

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board