2021-22 non Big East games of interest

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2021-22 non Big East games of interest

Postby kayako » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Holy shit, UCR made a buzzer-beating 3/4 court heave to upset ASU. One of the craziest shots I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1459002423616294918?s=20
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 am

Our older son is a freshman at the Univ of Vermont.
Vermont opened with a 14-point win at Northern Iowa.

The Catamounts have really good team and should do great in the America East.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:29 am

kayako wrote:Holy shit, UCR made a buzzer-beating 3/4 court heave to upset ASU. One of the craziest shots I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1459002423616294918?s=20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Providence
billyjack

Postby X-man » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 am

billyjack wrote:Our older son is a freshman at the Univ of Vermont.

I'm a proud UVM grad, class of '69, and I am quite sure that your son will love it in Burlington. I then went to Providence where I spent 5 years getting my doctorate at Brown, another fine institution. Got smacked around by PC back then when they had Ernie (no) D and Marvin "tire iron" Barnes on their roster.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:24 am

X-man wrote:

I'm a proud UVM grad, class of '69, and I am quite sure that your son will love it in Burlington. I then went to Providence where I spent 5 years getting my doctorate at Brown, another fine institution. Got smacked around by PC back then when they had Ernie (no) D and Marvin "tire iron" Barnes on their roster.

That's really great X-man! He seems to be having a good experience so far from what i can tell (enjoying classes, has nice roommates and friends), and doesn't seem to be homesick at 5 hours away. He's over in the Redstone area. Wow, yes, Burlington is such a great town and an easy walk from campus. I'm looking forward to exploring it more.

Do u get back for reunions, etc? So you probably know that Gutterson is still in use for hockey, a cool old barn with a barrel ceiling, and Patrick is in the process of being replaced by a new gym.

Amazing you were at Brown too! After last night's game with our younger son, we ate in Thayer Street. The Avon is still there and it's still a neat place. Marvel Gym was replaced years ago with a gym nexr to Meehan.

I'd love to hear about your experiences at both schools and cities, and what the biggest changes have been that you've noticed over the years. I'm actually a RISD alum (1990), so you are familiar with Benefit Street too i wiuld guess.

And Ernie, Marvin and Stacom.were legends. Guy last night at the Dunk had a Marvin jersey from the Spirits of St Louis, lol.

Very cool !!!
Providence
billyjack

Postby X-man » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:59 am

billyjack wrote:
X-man wrote:

That's really great X-man! He seems to be having a good experience so far from what i can tell (enjoying classes, has nice roommates and friends), and doesn't seem to be homesick at 5 hours away. He's over in the Redstone area. Wow, yes, Burlington is such a great town and an easy walk from campus. I'm looking forward to exploring it more.

Do u get back for reunions, etc? So you probably know that Gutterson is still in use for hockey, a cool old barn with a barrel ceiling, and Patrick is in the process of being replaced by a new gym.

Amazing you were at Brown too! After last night's game with our younger son, we ate in Thayer Street. The Avon is still there and it's still a neat place. Marvel Gym was replaced years ago with a gym nexr to Meehan.

I'd love to hear about your experiences at both schools and cities, and what the biggest changes have been that you've noticed over the years. I'm actually a RISD alum (1990), so you are familiar with Benefit Street too i wiuld guess.

And Ernie, Marvin and Stacom.were legends. Guy last night at the Dunk had a Marvin jersey from the Spirits of St Louis, lol.

Very cool !!!

I have never returned for a reunion at either school. Being on the faculty at Xavier University precluded me from attending such reunions because of scheduling issues. But I do get back to Vermont, where I grew up, pretty regularly, and have been back to the Providence college hill area as well. Both Providence and Burlington have been heavily gentrified since I was there, but generally in a good way. In Burlington, I logged a lot of hours at Gutterson. I lived at 69 No. Prospect (cue the laughter) my senior year, and spent a lot of time at two bars...the Tariff on Church Street and the Anchor in the north end. The former was a hippie/prepster bar that my brother helped build, and the latter was a bar where hippies and petty thieves got along well with each other. It had a killer shuffleboard environment as well.

Since I was studying economics (at Robinson Hall on Waterman Street near RISD), I always lived nearby...at the Grad Center on Thayer in my first year, and on Waterman just up the street from Thayer for the last couple years. The Sunday buffet dinner at RISD was a staple, with a chef serving a Chicago round, and we would fill our pockets with enough food to get us through the week. I used to frequent places on Federal Hill (Smith's Italian restaurant was a fav), and a place called Tweet Balzano's in Bristol (which is still in business I discovered after attending a wedding in Narragansett a few years ago). Horseneck Beach was a favorite summertime getaway as well. And I'm sad to hear, sort of, that Marvel Gym is no more. I loved the elevated circular track and that intimate basketball viewing experience there.

Great memories of both places, where the schools taught me well and I made many friends.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:36 pm

X-man wrote:
billyjack wrote:
X-man wrote:

Very cool !!!

I have never returned for a reunion at either school. Being on the faculty at Xavier University precluded me from attending such reunions because of scheduling issues. But I do get back to Vermont, where I grew up, pretty regularly, and have been back to the Providence college hill area as well. Both Providence and Burlington have been heavily gentrified since I was there, but generally in a good way. In Burlington, I logged a lot of hours at Gutterson. I lived at 69 No. Prospect (cue the laughter) my senior year, and spent a lot of time at two bars...the Tariff on Church Street and the Anchor in the north end. The former was a hippie/prepster bar that my brother helped build, and the latter was a bar where hippies and petty thieves got along well with each other. It had a killer shuffleboard environment as well.

Since I was studying economics (at Robinson Hall on Waterman Street near RISD), I always lived nearby...at the Grad Center on Thayer in my first year, and on Waterman just up the street from Thayer for the last couple years. The Sunday buffet dinner at RISD was a staple, with a chef serving a Chicago round, and we would fill our pockets with enough food to get us through the week. I used to frequent places on Federal Hill (Smith's Italian restaurant was a fav), and a place called Tweet Balzano's in Bristol (which is still in business I discovered after attending a wedding in Narragansett a few years ago). Horseneck Beach was a favorite summertime getaway as well. And I'm sad to hear, sort of, that Marvel Gym is no more. I loved the elevated circular track and that intimate basketball viewing experience there.

Great memories of both places, where the schools taught me well and I made many friends.

Hey X-man,
I really enjoyed reading this. So many familar places. Robinson Hall is the octagonal building? Great hearing about Burlington. Thanks!
Providence
billyjack

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:35 pm

I'm a proud Stony Brook grad and I hate the Vermont Catamounts with a passion!!!!! That became a heated rivalry when I attended SBU (2007-12) and is still a great America East rivalry with those cats from up north. Sadly most times the cats came out on top in heartbreaking ways.

Vermont has a good team this year and I can only hope my Seawolves crash their party later this year.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Husky_U » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Jet915 wrote:Virginia loses to Navy, wow 3 ACC buy game losses in day 1.

Louisville loses to Furman in OT. ACC basketball may be declining faster than ACC football.
Husky_U

Postby Jet915 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Okie State falls to Oakland.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board