Big East basketball games can be forfeited due to COVID

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East basketball games can be forfeited due to COVID

Postby Husky_U » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:48 am

The thing I wonder about with forfeits is how the selection committee views/treats them. For instance, say Nova goes 25-3 in real games, but has Covid breakouts where they forfeit (lose) 4 other BE games to go 25-7. Does that drop them all the way down from a 1 seed to a 4 seed or does the committee not really count them as losses? Similarly if a BE team is on the bubble and has 3 forfeit losses to the bottom 3 of the BE standings, does that keep them out of dance for technically having bad losses? Or would the committee make an exception, similar to having losses due to your star player being out with an injury? Will the committee make an exception for a poor/borderline tourney NET due to it being worse than it should be because of those forfeits? On the other side of things, does the committee actually give Depaul credit for beating Nova, UCONN, and Xavier (all forfeit wins)? Does that put Depaul on the bubble or do they recognize/treat Depaul like their actual, real-game record?
Husky_U

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Django » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 am

Husky_U wrote:The thing I wonder about with forfeits is how the selection committee views/treats them. For instance, say Nova goes 25-3 in real games, but has Covid breakouts where they forfeit (lose) 4 other BE games to go 25-7. Does that drop them all the way down from a 1 seed to a 4 seed or does the committee not really count them as losses? Similarly if a BE team is on the bubble and has 3 forfeit losses to the bottom 3 of the BE standings, does that keep them out of dance for technically having bad losses? Or would the committee make an exception, similar to having losses due to your star player being out with an injury? Will the committee make an exception for a poor/borderline tourney NET due to it being worse than it should be because of those forfeits? On the other side of things, does the committee actually give Depaul credit for beating Nova, UCONN, and Xavier (all forfeit wins)? Does that put Depaul on the bubble or do they recognize/treat Depaul like their actual, real-game record?

Those are great questions, and how will the forfeit-losses/wins affect the NET/Kenpom ratings and human polls, which will affect the committee as well.
Django

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:39 am

I'd have to imagine the the forfeit is just for the purpose of conference standings and the they won't be considered in a team's at large resume.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby marquette » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Advanced stats systems like NET and Kenpom have no way to account for games with no stats. You can't have offensive efficiency numbers for games that didn't happen and the W/L by itself shouldn't factor into those systems. This is probably purely for conference standing.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board