Ackerman - BE - TV Contracts, Expansion, Gonzaga - Oct 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Ackerman - on Big East TV contracts and expansion

Postby Django » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:41 pm

Murphy outgo lifer wrote:
Django wrote:Gonzaga needs to go independent and work a tv deal with any of the gazillion networks out there. They could do scheduling arrangements with just about any Football5/Big East team to get a full schedule.

What I want is to get the Big East into the P3's alignment deal. Val should be all over that. We need to get into that group yesterday. She really dropped the ball on that. I know it's football related but she knows all those ADs and commissioners well from B-ball and should have snuck in any way she could have. Joining in the alliance with the Pac B10 and ACC is a no brainer.... it would acutally impel the SEC to join up and have a scheduling alliance with the new B12 for basketball purposes. Zags can join too.

This will never happen. We struggled mightily last season to get a power conference team to schedule us during conference play. It’s only going to get worse as conference play expands. If nothing comes about for conference realignment we will just stay in the WCC.

Nah, wise up, look at Notre Dame. You're the Notre Dame Football of basketball. In fact you're even more Notre Dame Football in Basketball than Notre Dame Football is in Football.

It's called get a TV contract then watch the scheduling agreements roll in.

The Big East, Big 10, Pac, MW&A10 (top teams) would do what the ACC does with Notre Dame in Football. You'd have a full schedule through alliances and for sure all the midwestern Big East schools. And of course St. Mary's and BYU. You need to find one of these networks smart enough to take advantage. There's so many of em now.

Or just stay in the WCC. Hope Portland and Santa Clara's killer defenses prepare you for the tourney.
Last edited by Django on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Django

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Django wrote:
Django wrote:Gonzaga needs to go independent and work a tv deal with any of the gazillion networks out there. They could do scheduling arrangements with just about any Football5/Big East team to get a full schedule.

What I want is to get the Big East into the P3's alignment deal. Val should be all over that. We need to get into that group yesterday. She really dropped the ball on that. I know it's football related but she knows all those ADs and commissioners well from B-ball and should have snuck in any way she could have. Joining in the alliance with the Pac B10 and ACC is a no brainer.... it would acutally impel the SEC to join up and have a scheduling alliance with the new B12 for basketball purposes. Zags can join too.

This will never happen. We struggled mightily last season to get a power conference team to schedule us during conference play. It’s only going to get worse as conference play expands. If nothing comes about for conference realignment we will just stay in the WCC.

Nah, wise up, look at Notre Dame. You're the Notre Dame of basketball. In fact you're even more Notre Dame Football in Basketball than Notre Dame Football is Notre Dame Football is in Notre Dame Football.

It's called scheduling agreements.

The Big East, Big 10, A10 (top teams) and Pac would do what the ACC does with Notre Dame in Football. You'd have a full schedule through a scheduling alliance and for sure all the midwestern Big East schools. And of course St. Mary's and BYU.

Or just stay in the WCC. Hope Pepperdine and San Fran's killer defenses prepare you for the tourney.

With all due respect to Gonzaga (I would love to have them join the Big East if it works out well financially for all parties), Gonzaga is not the "Notre Dame of basketball." Decades of history, national championships in the sport, famous coaches, size of the entity, etc. - though time and change may be passing it by from what it used to be, Notre Dame continues to have a brand that is fully robust and gains juice from both the loved and hated side of the aisle. Gonzaga has established a great reputation that is well deserved, but it isn't THE basketball program in the collegiate landscape; it doesn't have that kind of resume. I'm not sure that even Duke has such a resume.

Nonetheless, this truly is a very interesting and important crossroad for Gonzaga. It appears to be the only program that presently is not in a P5 conference or the Big East conference that has a strong chance of landing in the Big East - it is the most attractive candidate available.

With power and money continuing to consolidate within the P4/5 and the Big East, and with the departure of BYU from the WCC, what is in the best long-term interests of Gonzaga?

After all the financial modeling of discounted cash flows from different media agreement scenarios and other direct program revenue is completed, combined with keeping or losing NCAAT unit revenue under those scenarios, and factoring in the respective expense profiles of running the program under the staying put scenario versus moving to the Big East, the net comparative figures will only provide part of what has to be factored into the final decision making process. At the end of the day, can Gonzaga expect to sustain a high level of success on the WCC island as its big dog, especially as it weakens from BYU's departure, or does the long-term view suggest that it is better for Gonzaga to land in a power conference now?

(Popcorn emoji). Stay tuned.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Murphy outgo lifer » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 pm

With all due respect to Gonzaga (I would love to have them join the Big East if it works out well financially for all parties), Gonzaga is not the "Notre Dame of basketball." Decades of history, national championships in the sport, famous coaches, size of the entity, etc. - though time and change may be passing it by from what it used to be, Notre Dame continues to have a brand that is fully robust and gains juice from both the loved and hated side of the aisle. Gonzaga has established a great reputation that is well deserved, but it isn't THE basketball program in the collegiate landscape; it doesn't have that kind of resume. I'm not sure that even Duke has such a resume.

Nonetheless, this truly is a very interesting and important crossroad for Gonzaga. It appears to be the only program that presently is not in a P5 conference or the Big East conference that has a strong chance of landing in the Big East - it is the most attractive candidate available.

With power and money continuing to consolidate within the P4/5 and the Big East, and with the departure of BYU from the WCC, what is in the best long-term interests of Gonzaga?

After all the financial modeling of discounted cash flows from different media agreement scenarios and other direct program revenue is completed, combined with keeping or losing NCAAT unit revenue under those scenarios, and factoring in the respective expense profiles of running the program under the staying put scenario versus moving to the Big East, the net comparative figures will only provide part of what has to be factored into the final decision making process. At the end of the day, can Gonzaga expect to sustain a high level of success on the WCC island as its big dog, especially as it weakens from BYU's departure, or does the long-term view suggest that it is better for Gonzaga to land in a power conference now?

(Popcorn emoji). Stay tuned.[/quote]

Well put!
Murphy outgo lifer

Postby Murphy outgo lifer » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 pm

Django wrote:

Nah, wise up, look at Notre Dame. You're the Notre Dame Football of basketball. In fact you're even more Notre Dame Football in Basketball than Notre Dame Football is in Football.

It's called get a TV contract then watch the scheduling agreements roll in.

The Big East, Big 10, Pac, MW&A10 (top teams) would do what the ACC does with Notre Dame in Football. You'd have a full schedule through alliances and for sure all the midwestern Big East schools. And of course St. Mary's and BYU. You need to find one of these networks smart enough to take advantage. There's so many of em now.

Or just stay in the WCC. Hope Portland and Santa Clara's killer defenses prepare you for the tourney.

I am sorry but this makes 0 sense for us. We would lose our conference for all other sports as the WCC is not keeping them if we leave. We would also lose our tournament unit revenue, we would no longer have a conference tournament to play in, no automatic bid, and we would be getting rid of our guaranteed conference games to try to replace them during a time of conference play expansion. I have literally never heard anyone even mention this option before in Gonzaga circles.

We have found a way to be successful in the WCC and competitive in the Tournament. The only people that have a problem with Gonzaga's conference are people who don't like us and want to poke holes in our success. We have been very successful for the last 20+ years in the conference with BYU and without. If nothing else works out we will do the best we can in our current conference.
Murphy outgo lifer

Postby Django » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:25 pm

Murphy outgo lifer wrote:I am sorry but this makes 0 sense for us. We would lose our conference for all other sports as the WCC is not keeping them if we leave. We would also lose our tournament unit revenue, we would no longer have a conference tournament to play in, no automatic bid, and we would be getting rid of our guaranteed conference games to try to replace them during a time of conference play expansion. I have literally never heard anyone even mention this option before in Gonzaga circles.

If you're 100% sure the WCC would not take your other sports I can see the hesitation. (who the f-ck do they think they are!? the AAACK?) But all other issues would be resolved with a TV contract. You're worried about automatic bids? That's a red flag for you joining our conference my friend. (using Moro's "Playoffs" tone of voice) "Automatic Bids?" You're worried about Auto bids?

You're freaking Gonzaga, get some chutzpah already. Again, I'm 1 gazillion times sure with a multi-million dollar TV contract on a national network you could schedule just about anybody.... you're worried about guaranteed games vs. Portland, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Diego, San Francisco, Loyola Marymount? That's your argument? That you would "not be able to play" 12 games against those teams? :roll:

There were delusional Creighton fans that actually wanted to stay in the MVC for similiar reasons. Those people should be removed from the gene pool. The MVC is a wasteland compared to the BE. So is the WCC.

Explore your options. Use some creativity. Grow a pair.

That's what this guy would say:
Django

Postby Murphy outgo lifer » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 pm

If you're 100% sure the WCC would not take your other sports I can see the hesitation. (who the f-ck do they think they are!? the AAACK?) But all other issues would be resolved with a TV contract. You're worried about automatic bids? That's a red flag for you joining our conference my friend. (using Moro's "Playoffs" tone of voice) "Automatic Bids?" You're worried about Auto bids?

You're freaking Gonzaga, get some chutzpah already. Again, I'm 1 gazillion times sure with a multi-million dollar TV contract on a national network you could schedule just about anybody.... you're worried about guaranteed games vs. Portland, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Diego, San Francisco, Loyola Marymount? That's your argument? That you would "not be able to play" 12 games against those teams? :roll:

There were delusional Creighton fans that actually wanted to stay in the MVC for similiar reasons. Those people should be removed from the gene pool. The MVC is a wasteland compared to the BE. So is the WCC.

Explore your options. Use some creativity. Grow a pair.

That's what this guy would say:
Image[/quote]

I love your enthusiasm! For me, I would be good with the Big East. Time will tell.
Murphy outgo lifer

Postby Django » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Murphy outgo lifer wrote:I love your enthusiasm! For me, I would be good with the Big East. Time will tell.

We would too, for basketball. But for the non-rev sports the Big East makes zero sense. That's why if the WCC was smart they would let you keep your olympics there and have a scheduling arrangement with them as an indy (home and home with St. Mary's, San Fran, Pepperdine [based on best kenpom]) ... those teams would benefit from being on TV and you could pay them as if they were buy games. The of course the top teams in the MWC would be all over you, some PAC, Midwestern BE, B12... Sure you could play every Big East team and the midwestern contingent would get out there as well. You could sell it to the WCC because other teams in that conference could get the auto bid instead of you stealing it every year. Makes the most sense to me. A full fledged member of the Big East in Spokane just seems really strange. Omaha is at least in the Eastern half of the United States. In many ways Omaha is where the Midwest ends and "the West" begins.

In the big big picture if the full separation from the NCAA ever happens I think you're fine, just like pretty much the entire Big East in the fact that we will be absorbed by the B1G and you will be absorbed by the PAC. No reason for superconferences to leave money on the table, and Gonzaga is money babeeee.

Money money money.
Django

Postby kayako » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Murphy outgo lifer wrote:Hey everyone,

Gonzaga basketball fan here. I have really enjoyed reading this thread and thought I should join in. Hopefully, I’ll have the jump on everyone else if Gonzaga does join the Big East at some point. I am happy to try and answer any questions any of you may have regarding Gonzaga.

Welcome! Just want to ask a couple of questions:

-How come you guys don't play more games at the larger Spokane Arena? Might be an issue when negotiating, because I'd think the BE will require a lot more games committed there.

-How are the tourney credits distributed in the WCC? We don't have this information yet for the BE.
supernova
kayako

Postby Django » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:00 pm

kayako wrote:
-How are the tourney credits distributed in the WCC? We don't have this information yet for the BE.

Tournament credits are the same. Murph is worried about losing accumulated credits that the Zags are SHARING with the dregs of the WCC... when he should be worried about HAVING TO SHARE all future credits (including this year) with the WCC for years to come. Independent teams get their full share of credits and don't have to share... in the future if other teams don't start stepping up I could see Villanova looking to go Indy, or at least penalize teams like DePaul that fail to gain credits but benefit from others.

Obviously the Big East is solidly above the WCC but the more I argue for the Zags to go Indy the more I'm looking at conference dregs, what they are and what they might become in superconferences. Can you imagine a F5 NCAA tournament? Does anyone want to see a world where a 5-20 Nebraska is "dancing" rather than Gonzaga or Villanova? f--- that my friends f--- THAT.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... every-year

The basketball fund provides for moneys to be distributed to Division I conferences based on their performance in the Division I men’s basketball championship over a six-year rolling period (for the period 2007-2012 for the 2012-13 distribution). Independent institutions receive a full unit share based on its tournament participation over the same rolling six-year period. The basketball fund payments are sent to conferences and independent institutions in mid April each year.
Django

Postby Murphy outgo lifer » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:28 pm

kayako wrote:
Murphy outgo lifer wrote:Hey everyone,

Gonzaga basketball fan here. I have really enjoyed reading this thread and thought I should join in. Hopefully, I’ll have the jump on everyone else if Gonzaga does join the Big East at some point. I am happy to try and answer any questions any of you may have regarding Gonzaga.

Welcome! Just want to ask a couple of questions:

-How come you guys don't play more games at the larger Spokane Arena? Might be an issue when negotiating, because I'd think the BE will require a lot more games committed there.

So the McCarthy Athletic Center holds 6K fans and the Spokane arena holds about 10K fans. They use to do a game at the arena every once in awhile but they don’t do it any longer. My first guess would be because they lose out on concessions and have to splits the Revenues with Spokane arena. In Spokane everyone complains about not being able to get GU tickets but I remember the GU administration being frustrated that they didn’t sell out the Arena one of the last times they played at the Arena. Can’t remember who the game was against though but I don’t think it was a major headliner. I honestly think that we would sell out most games at the Arena these days though. The last time we played in the arena was quite a few years ago.

We negotiated a different split of tourney credits in 2018 and I don’t believe they made the exact details public. I do know that we got $1.2M per year back pay for credits we already earned. They split tje first unit evenly among every member but now who ever earns the units now get a “greater” share of those units.
Murphy outgo lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board