Let's review Villanova

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Villanova

Postby Novachap » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:50 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:I read recently that Cosby-Roundtree has called it a career? Is this true? In the article they
downplayed his significance to the Cats. Poor form. I would imagine the kid as a good teammate
and a team player, especially given his history of "snakebite" injuries. Sorry to see his college
career end in this manner.

As for the Cats.

2021-22 Villanova Non-Conference Schedule

Tuesday, Nov. 9: vs. Mount St. Mary's (Finneran Pavilion)

Friday, Nov. 12: at UCLA
Tuesday, Nov. 16: vs. Howard (Finneran Pavilion) ??
Saturday, Nov. 20: vs. Tennessee (Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic) ??
Sunday, Nov. 21: vs. North Carolina/Purdue (Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic)
Sunday, Nov 28: at La Salle

Wednesday, Dec. 1: at Penn
Saturday, Dec. 4: vs. Saint Joseph's (Finneran Pavilion)
Tuesday, Dec. 7: vs. Syracuse (Jimmy V Classic) ??
Sunday, Dec. 12: at Baylor (BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle)
Wednesday, Dec. 29: vs. Temple (Finneran Pavilion)

A really great slate. If they run the gamut they'll be #1 heading to Omaha!

However, it's more likely they'll be 8-3 or 7-4 entering the BE conference slate.
Gonna be tough...coming off that heartbreaking loss at Baylor and into the fire -
getting surprisingly steamrolled @CHICO by Lil' Creighton. Tough way to open the conference.

:lol: :o ;)

Excellent opportunity for the HU Bison, as they play Nova, Gtwn, Harvard, and ND this season. Coach Kenny Blakeney has built a very talented team.
Don't sleep on these Bison.

Bison are led by 2 Senior forwards in Nojel Eastern(P'due) and Sam Green (Drexel)(Transfers), Senior guard Kyle Foster, and former Juco, Jr guard Deven Richmond.
Howard built a stellar class in 2020 including Ctr Makur Maker #16/18-5star, PG Rajim Ali, Fwd Amir Rahmizad (Can), Fwd Jordan Wood (Tex), and others.
This should be a fun game to watch. git

GIT... DCR got a LOT of love and rightly so. Multiple articles shout outs on social, etc. Tough break for the kid, certainly snake bit. Great leader off the court too, he will impact society positively.

In terms of the schedule, yes it is a tough one, but, no need to worry my friend, pretty seasoned team with lots of experience and a couple of newbies that will help out for sure. I do not expect them being undefeated, but they should do ok. 8-3 or 7-4 would not be horrible and is certainly possible but I thing 10-1, 9-2 is more likely.

Semi-good news today. Antoine's injury is a strain, out 6 weeks, no surgery. Hopefully he can get back into fairly quickly and be ready for the LaSalle game. He was supposedly having a REALLY good summer. He will still help them out that is for sure.
Novachap

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:40 am

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1445868168380129286

I agree with Rothstein that Slater is going to have a breakout senior season. Nova was up 7 on Baylor when Slater went down with ankle injury.

Gillespie
Moore
Daniels
Slater
Samuels

That's a really small lineup, but it's what I'm expecting to start the season.

When Jay was asked about the newcomers, he said Longino and Njoku looks like they may be able to play right away.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:54 am

Slate looked good in the Blue / white game. But I think he and BA are first off the bench. We’re going to struggle stopping guys like Sanogo and Watson. I think this team will pressure outside to deny interior feeds as much as they can and then simply trade 2’s for 3’s. If Dix or Slate can hit the 3 at a 35%+ clip we’ll be a serious problem. If not the 5 might be the hole in the lineup that keeps us from being elite.

CG, Moore, Daniels and Jermaine are prob 50-55 points a game every night. If Dix, Slate and BA can combine for another 15-20 we’ll just out-score teams. Lots of guys who can put the ball in the basket. The D will decide how far this team can go.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:25 pm

I'd argue that Daniels is the better option to come off the bench in a DiVincenzo role, but Jay didn't agree with me last season and that's unlikely to change this season. Not exactly high volume, but Slater did shoot 41.7% from the 3 last season.

I agree that D will decide if we're elite or merely great. I just can't imagine Jay trusting Njoku or Dixon to start for us for now.
supernova
kayako

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:21 am

kayako wrote:I agree that D will decide if we're elite or merely great.

Wizard of Westroads

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board