Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:23 am

Saw this posted on one of the SJ forums and it's kind of what I was thinking could happen down the road as the P5 separates from NCAA:

"Hi all, first time long time. Been a MSG employee since the 90s. Queens BnR. Was somewhat surprised with what I heard this weekend at work and didn’t see it being discussed here. Suits were discussing how we were going to a basketball only division of the Big Ten and that we were adding a 10th team. Talking about how crazy the tournament was going to be in the future with the top five from each division getting bids and a 16th overall from the 26 team pool getting the last slot yearly to MSG. This had me surprised and confused. Just listening and carrying on. I can ask the suits more, am very friendly with one of the guys. But was wondering what thoughts were here on this? Didn’t see a thread on it."

I would not be shocked at all if something like this happened. Funny because I just mentioned this possibility thinking about the future without any inside info. Now obviously as basketball only members if this happened, I'm sure we wouldn't get the same share as the big football schools. But it would still ensure a clear major status and we would not be left behind. Very interesting...
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 am

I just can't see it. What advantage does this provide for the BIG? I could see a scheduling commitment like football did. That's got to be the path forward for the Big East right now. Scheduling agreements with the major conferences. Make them need you.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:20 am

MUPanther wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Rumor mill saying that Colorado St and Air Force are in negotiations with the AAC.

Why would they move? I see zero upside.

I guess you were right. It is now being reported that they aren't going to the AAC.
ArmyVet

Postby kayako » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:46 pm

ArmyVet wrote:I guess you were right. It is now being reported that they aren't going to the AAC.

AAC fans were so convinced that their ESPN alliance would give them the power to poach the Big 12, but in reality they just found themselves in a tier below the MWC. They can have fun ranked below the A10, and maybe even MVC, MWC, and WCC in basketball going forward. lmao
supernova
kayako

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Anyone check in on Stever? He good?
MullinMayhem

Postby adoraz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm

That "Big East to Big Ten" rumor posted on Johnny Jungle is nonsense. First, it was posted by a brand new account that only posted that one post (and a follow up response). The Internet's track record for those type of posts being genuine is close to zero. Second, even if it were true, it was posted 2 months ago (August 1). Since then the Big Ten has formed a scheduling alliance with the ACC and Pac 12 (in late August), so even if this were a possibility at one point it's much less likely now. Third. even back on August 1 this sounds like it would have been incredibly unlikely. The Big Ten is all about huge elite research institutions and clearly don't need the Big East to prop up their basketball (well, besides their laughable lack of recent Championships). MSG, as great as it is, would not be that valuable to the Big Ten. They've already had their own Tournament there and it wasn't successful enough to make it an annual tradition.

All that said, I'm not so sure us St. John's fans would even want that. UConn or Nova fans? Maybe, but we haven't won the Big East Tournament in decades, and with that kind of a setup I doubt we'd win it in my lifetime. Being a small fish in a massive pond is not good thing, our best hope for relevance right now is to elevate our program the same way that Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler and Xavier have since realignment (the majority of our conference).

During the past few months we've seen all kinds of completely unsubstantiated rumors about Kansas, Gonzaga and now I suppose the Big Ten. None of the rumors should be taken seriously until there are legit sources. Even IF they're based on real discussions that doesn't mean anything because discussions happen all the time and typically don't amount to anything. If any changes end up being made, they'll likely be kept under wraps for months and then spread like wildfire a few days before a planned announcement, similar to what we saw with Texas and OU. A new account on JJ isn't posting that kind of a scoop 2+ months before anyone else on the Internet.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Man, the AAC's really struggling and I think it's time we step up and help them.

We'll take them under our wing, putting them in our B tier conference titled the "Little East." I'm not sure we can guarantee them an NCAA bid, but we can offer their regular season champion the 12 seed in the Big East Tournament and the path to the NCAAs should they manage to win that. I'd also consider offering their champion promotion to the Big East the following year, but maybe not because it would ruin the double round robin. Of course, in that scenario, the 11 current members would be immune from relegation. There would simply be a 1 game playoff between the currently promoted team and the new Little East champion to determine who gets the spot the following year.

In thier current situation, it's honestly too good of an offer to refuse.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Husky_U » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Typical Aresco... Over-promising and under-delivering. So nice to be done with that putz.

Sounds like they'll add 2-6 schools from: UAB, UTSA, FAU, Rice, Charlotte, Marshall, Liberty, North Texas. Sucks to be Temple or anyone left in that conference that actually gives a crap about basketball.
Husky_U

Postby Burrito » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:31 pm

It's been a bad couple of years for AAC basketball. UConn's gone. Houston and Cincinnati have announced they are leaving. And Wichita State's coach had to resign after allegations of verbal and physical abuse.
Burrito

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Mullinmayhem...

I had PM'd Stever, over on the AAC message board- a couple of weeks ago. Pm'd to invite to
the Bluenotes preview panel. He replied to my msg and it seemed he was okay, though
I didn't ask directly. He's got a tough shell - I wouldn't worry about him.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board