Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:56 am

Remember when they were desperately trying to compare themselves with us on the basketball court? Lol

If UConn's move was game, set, match (though in reality it was decided long before that), this is just rubbing salt in the wound.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Rumor mill saying that Colorado St and Air Force are in negotiations with the AAC.
ArmyVet

Postby butlerguy03 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:41 am

Belmont would be on my long-term watch-list for a larger (see 16) Big East. Don't get me wrong, adding them now would be dumb, but along with Richmond, Davidson, Dayton, Saint Louis, Belmont has to be on that list. Small, private school in a major metro that is VERY attractive long-term. Actually thinking about it, it probably makes MORE sense with long-term success than those others listed (other than Saint Louis).

From my Butler fandom, I really feel it takes 15 years of sustained success at the mid-major level to be considered a major program. Butler and Gonzaga did it simultaneously. It takes time, and I'm sure Val and the group are always reevaluating the list. Just like AD's always have a list of 5 coaching targets in their desk, I'm sure Val has 5 targets in her desk just in case.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby Bogg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:40 am

Acknowledging that you did specify "long-term", but Belmont has a long way to go before they even break into that Drake/Duquesne/Loyola/Davidson/Bonaventure/possibly-even-Denver second/third tier of expansion options once you've run through SLU/Dayton/the Richmond schools, and I doubt there winds up being a good reason to go to 16 anyway.
Bogg

Postby MUPanther » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Rumor mill saying that Colorado St and Air Force are in negotiations with the AAC.

Why would they move? I see zero upside.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby kayako » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:57 am

ArmyVet wrote:I'm not sure the A10 is better than the MVC at this point.

While I think A10 is still the better conference in terms of producing bids as of now, I can totally see it weakened to the point where we see SLU hosting the Arch Madness! I think their immediate hurdle is to avoid having aac take VCU or Dayton.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am

kayako wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:I'm not sure the A10 is better than the MVC at this point.

While I think A10 is still the better conference in terms of producing bids as of now, I can totally see it weakened to the point where we see SLU hosting the Arch Madness! I think their immediate hurdle is to avoid having aac take VCU or Dayton.

If they add schools to improve their BB pedigree the AAC will officially become the most dysfunctional result of conference alignment. Schools scattered all over the country--some want to be football powerhouses, some don't care about football; large urban universities; smaller private ones; schools that pride themselves on academics, others that lag. I just can't see it surviving if that is the end result of the AAC. I mean Tulane, Memphis, Wich ST and Temple. What the hell do they have in common. Now some want to add Dayton to the mix... Huh?

Crazy times for sure.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
If they add schools to improve their BB pedigree the AAC will officially become the most dysfunctional result of conference alignment. Schools scattered all over the country--some want to be football powerhouses, some don't care about football; large urban universities; smaller private ones; schools that pride themselves on academics, others that lag. I just can't see it surviving if that is the end result of the AAC. I mean Tulane, Memphis, Wich ST and Temple. What the hell do they have in common. Now some want to add Dayton to the mix... Huh?

Crazy times for sure.

The Air Force rumor has me wondering if they're willing to join the aac as a football-only member, which would theoretically allow them to add a good basketball program, although I was thinking VCU more likely than Dayton. I mean Air Force was NET 324 and Kenpom 332 last season...

It is crazy and I can imagine a million different scenarios playing out over the next few years!
supernova
kayako

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:54 am

kayako wrote:
I think the Atlantic 10's immediate hurdle is to avoid having the AAC take VCU or Dayton.

Dayton, Saint Louis, and VCU will not give the AAC a sniff. Not now and not ever. They can’t afford to.

History of the Big East Conference and TV Rights Contracts – Post #3
On September 4, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
In 2013, when Xavier and Butler announced their departures from the Atlantic 10 for greener pastures, it spooked the A10 head office and many of the remaining A10 basketball programs. The presidents of Dayton, Saint Louis, Virginia Commonwealth - and possibly others - took advantage of this jitteriness, and demanded a renegotiation of their contracts with the Atlantic 10, ”or else we may have to consider our options.” The A10 panicked, and agreed to give these three schools what they wanted, in a vote that was passed by the A10’s member institutions (who didn’t want any more key schools leaving the conference). What Dayton, Saint Louis, and Virginia Commonwealth got was the following: (1) instead of sharing NCAA Tournament Units equally among conference members, these three school would get ‘a larger-than-pro-rata share of the revenue streams generated from their future NCAA Tournament Units, and (2) Dayton, Saint Louis, and Virginia Commonwealth would be permitted to negotiate their own TV Rights contracts – independent of the A10 – with ESPN having the option to televise any games that were not sold to others. Dayton, Saint Louis, and Virginia Commonwealth could sell the rights to individual games, groups of games, or their entire basketball schedule if they chose.

Endowments, Enrolments, and Sports Revenue - Post #8
Athletic Department Revenues 2018-19

Survey Year • Institution Name • Total Revenue from Men's Basketball

2018-19 • Marquette University• $21,856,683
2018-19 • University of Dayton • $16,281,364
2018-19 • Villanova University • $14,428,932
2018-19 • Xavier University • $13,916,975
2018-19 • Georgetown University • $13,573,946
2018-19 • Providence College • $11,117,186
2018-19 • St. John's University • $10,028,677

2018-19 • UConn • $9,325,922
2018-19 • Creighton University • $8,590,055
2018-19 • Butler University • $8,228,482
2018-19 • Seton Hall University • $7,506,127
2018-19 • DePaul University • $6,793,520

I don’t have the revenue figures for Saint Louis nor VCU, but Dayton isn’t going to give up its very considerable advantages in the Atlantic 10 in order to join an 8-year old conference with no TV Rights Contract in place and an even worse institutional and geographic fit for UD than the Atlantic 10.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
If the AAC adds schools to improve their BB pedigree the AAC will officially become the most dysfunctional result of conference alignment. Schools scattered all over the country--some want to be football powerhouses, some don't care about football; large urban universities; smaller private ones; schools that pride themselves on academics, others that lag. I just can't see the AAC surviving if that is the end result of the AAC. I mean Tulane, Memphis, Wich ST and Temple. What the hell do they have in common? Now some want to add Dayton to the mix... Huh?

The American Athletic ConferenceNCAA Men's Basketball Final 2021 NET Rankings – NCAA.com – April 6, 2021

’Leftover’ American Athletic Conference Schools (Sorted in order of Niche’s 2021 College Ranking)
Final 2021 NET Rank • 2021 Niche College Rank • Niche Grade • School • Conference • Location • Enrolment

158 • 66 • A+ • Tulane Green Wave • American Athletic • New Orleans, Louisiana • 11,722
59 • 86 • A+ • SMU Mustangs • American Athletic • Dallas, Texas • 11,649
200 • 118 • A • South Florida Bulls • American Athletic • Tampa, Florida • 50,830
127 • 124 • A • Tulsa Golden Hurricane • American Athletic • Tulsa, Oklahoma • 3,343
160 • 200 • A- • Temple Owls • American Athletic • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania • 39,755

35 • 523 • B • Memphis Tigers • American Athletic • Memphis, Tennessee • 21,458
175 • 529 • B • East Carolina Pirates • American Athletic • Greenville, North Carolina • 28,718
70 • 835 • B- • Wichita State Shockers • American Athletic • Wichita, Kansas • 15,778

To UD’s Administration, basketball coaching staff, and fans, joining the MAC would be preferable to joining the AAC, but neither will happen.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby kayako » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:13 pm

supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board