Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby MarquetteRustler » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:52 am

Sadshockerfan wrote:Sigh, we would kill to be in BE.

Anywho, Shocker fans know that isn’t going to happen.

MarquetteRustler

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Vill » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 am

ArmyVet wrote:You have to wonder if Gonzaga is unhappy remaining in the WCC with BYU leaving?

One way to find out.
Vill

Postby Husky_U » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:31 am

If it's between Dayton/VCU/St Louis for spot #12, I'm choosing Wichita.
Husky_U

Postby Vill » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 am

Husky_U wrote:If it's between Dayton/VCU/St Louis for spot #12, I'm choosing Wichita.

I would hate adding another school just to achieve an even number. Eleven teams allows for a nice home-home series between teams. Twelve makes it unlikely.
Vill

Postby adoraz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:58 am

Prediction: if the Big East has a "down" year this year (similar to last year's regular season... Tournament was fine), then we'll add Gonzaga before the next TV contract. Obviously Kansas would be more ideal, but don't think that's happening anytime soon. Big East needs to solidify itself as THE place to be for non-football schools. Can't be any questions about our longevity prior to signing on the dotted line. Yes, the league has done well overall (in large part due to Nova), but the landscape is constantly shifting and right now we have fewer teams than any Power conference.

Wichita, VCU, Dayton, St. Louis, etc only get added if they get to the Final Four or whatever. Again, needs to be teams that raise our per-school payouts and would immediately be upper-half in terms of value.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Django » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Husky_U wrote:If it's between Dayton/VCU/St Louis for spot #12, I'm choosing Wichita.

The only way to reply to a post like this is with phrases ending in “... and the dog sled you rode in on!”
Django

Postby Xudash » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm

adoraz wrote:Prediction: if the Big East has a "down" year this year (similar to last year's regular season... Tournament was fine), then we'll add Gonzaga before the next TV contract. Obviously Kansas would be more ideal, but don't think that's happening anytime soon. Big East needs to solidify itself as THE place to be for non-football schools. Can't be any questions about our longevity prior to signing on the dotted line. Yes, the league has done well overall (in large part due to Nova), but the landscape is constantly shifting and right now we have fewer teams than any Power conference.

Wichita, VCU, Dayton, St. Louis, etc only get added if they get to the Final Four or whatever. Again, needs to be teams that raise our per-school payouts and would immediately be upper-half in terms of value.

I read your post a couple times over. You convinced me, based on 4 points:

1. Solidifying the conference.

2. What is right for longevity.

3. Constantly shifting landscape.

4. The addition has to truly add value; no adding to just add (for content).

It may make for some nasty logistics. There is always the risk that Gonzaga fades once Few leaves (hopefully, he won’t have anymore DUI’s).

Nonetheless, you are talking about being truly proactive by making a certain strategic move now. Maybe they just do it. Why wait to see what happens. Maybe NY calls Fox and says “what do you think: BE with UCONN + Gonzaga.” Show me the money.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Django » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:21 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:
Sadshockerfan wrote:Sigh, we would kill to be in BE.

Anywho, Shocker fans know that isn’t going to happen.

Brilliant Rustler. Couldn’t say it better myself. Of course after what Drake did to them in the tournament they prolly won’t be very competitive.
Django

Postby adoraz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Xudash wrote:
adoraz wrote:Prediction: if the Big East has a "down" year this year (similar to last year's regular season... Tournament was fine), then we'll add Gonzaga before the next TV contract. Obviously Kansas would be more ideal, but don't think that's happening anytime soon. Big East needs to solidify itself as THE place to be for non-football schools. Can't be any questions about our longevity prior to signing on the dotted line. Yes, the league has done well overall (in large part due to Nova), but the landscape is constantly shifting and right now we have fewer teams than any Power conference.

I read your post a couple times over. You convinced me, based on 4 points:

1. Solidifying the conference.

2. What is right for longevity.

3. Constantly shifting landscape.

4. The addition has to truly add value; no adding to just add (for content).

It may make for some nasty logistics. There is always the risk that Gonzaga fades once Few leaves (hopefully, he won’t have anymore DUI’s).

Nonetheless, you are talking about being truly proactive by making a certain strategic move now. Maybe they just do it. Why wait to see what happens. Maybe NY calls Fox and says “what do you think: BE with UCONN + Gonzaga.” Show me the money.

Yeah, if the financials work for both Gonzaga and the Big East (very likely), then I'd think they'll add them to ensure a bigger payday and more respect. Truth is we can't think about what happens to Gonzaga in 10 or 20 years. Sure, it's possible they'll decline. It's also possible they won't and will bring us another banner. Who knows if conferences will even be a thing by then. Who knows if all of the Big East teams will still be here by then. But there's only one chance per decade+ to sign a new contract. Can't leave any doubt about our longevity and need to maximize annual payouts.

I still think we should wait a few months and see what happens, given how soon the season starts. Maybe we have our biggest year yet and our value increases anyways. Maybe VCU is ranked #1 by December. Maybe Kansas gets more desperate and leaves. Who knows.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:15 am

Gonzaga does not need the Big East. They can compete for national championships in the WCC. I just see no realistic scenario where any AD or President believes by sending its Pacific Northwest athletic department’s Olympic sports to the East Coast is viewed as a good idea. And before it gets recommended, you cannot join a conference for basketball only. Could a scheduling alliance be arranged? Absolutely. But that’s about as far as a Big East/Gonzaga marriage could go.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board