Let's review Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Creighton

Postby cu blujs » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:33 am

Without time or motivation to spell out the journey that Creighton athletics took under Bruce Rasmussen, from narrowly surviving a vote of the Trustees to move to DII at about the time he took office through today, suffice it to say that few ADs have left a bigger mark on a school than Bruce Rasmussen. To borrower a phrase from an old movie that is particularly fitting in my opinion . . . . Mr. Rasmussen, this is your Opus.

(I know, not a musical composition - but in a way it has been)
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:56 am

Link: Big East Links – HLOH ‘sticky’ thread
On August 20, 2021 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Founded • University Website • Wikipedia Link • Type • Motto

1878 Creighton UniversityCreighton University • Jesuit • [No school motto]

On August 20, 2021 gtmoBlue wrote:
Creighton Mission page.

https://www.creighton.edu/about/mission
https://www.creighton.edu/about/what-jesuit-education

Motto: "People for and with others": Alii In Homines Nam et.
I would suppose taken from Ignatian values -see mission page link below. (Men and Women For and With Others: "Cum alii nam et viris mulieribus" Loosely, from the Mission page.)

Google search: Showing results for creighton university motto
As a Jesuit university Creighton's motto is "People for and with others" meaning the education is structured toward making students into compassionate, morally driven people.

Unigo
https://www.unigo.com/colleges/creighto ... 0people%20.

The hallmarks of an interdisciplinary Jesuit education are the Ignatian charisms, or values. We consider these God-given gifts that our graduates bring to the world.

They are:

Finding God in All Things: This is the essence of Ignatian spirituality. Ignatius of Loyola taught others to experience life attuned to God’s activity in everyday circumstances. Finding God in all things is an invitation to encounter God’s presence in each moment, to become aware of God’s beauty in everything, and to notice God’s action in all the events of our lives through an ongoing process of personal discernment. As such, every academic discipline provides hope to encounter the divine.

Cura Personalis: Latin meaning “care for the person”, or “personal care”. Cura personalis is having concern and care for the personal development of the “whole person”, and dedication to promoting human dignity. This includes being open to and accepting of a person’s religious and spiritual development. It also describes the type of care we give as educators: we give not only of our knowledge, expertise and skill, but of ourselves as well. The care given, and the care received, is “personal care” not “institutionalized care”.

Magis: Latin meaning “more”, or “the greater good”. Magis embodies the idea of discerning, “What is the best choice in a given situation, of several good choices, to better glorify or serve the Lord?”; e.g. choosing between options encountered in life with a primary focus of being “God centered”. Magis goes beyond striving for excellence. It is a value central to Ignatian spirituality and encompassed by the Latin phrase “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” meaning “For the Greater Glory of God”. (Motto of the Society of Jesus).

Men and Women For and With Others: "Cum alii nam et viris mulieribus" A spirit of giving, service, and solidarity with those in need, recognizing that all humans have physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. Our goal, as described by Father Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, S.J., a former Superior General of the Society of Jesus, is to form leaders who are “men and women of competence, conscience and compassionate commitment.”

Faith That Does Justice: Faculty, staff and students alike are encouraged to seek justice for all God’s creatures, especially the poor and marginalized. According to the Gospel, our goal is to work for the betterment of society as a whole. We strive to prepare graduates who will be change agents in society, “contemplatives in action.”

gtmoBlue – thank you for your correction to my post. You should ask the appropriate person at CU to add Creighton’s motto to the university’s Wikipedia article. For your very interesting and informative post, I’m awarding you a seal:

Concerning the Universities Webpages, it is noteworthy that homepages for Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's have dynamic (i.e. ‘moving picture’) images, while the other eight universities use static images – some with multiple static images that are presented as a slide show. They’re all worth a look for a visual comparison. By next year, I expect a lot more universities to feature dynamic images on their homepages. If the administrations at Georgetown and Villanova have decided that dynamic images are the norm for the future, that should be good enough for everyone else.

Still a classic:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for my off-topic intrusion on your thread. Back to news concerning

Creighton Bluejays 2021-22 Season
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 am

Sources: Holy Cross AD Marcus Blossom is finalizing a deal to become the athletic director at Creighton. He brings Big East experience from two years at Providence and ACC experience from five years at Boston College. He also played college basketball at Northeastern.

Thoughts from anyone?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby OmahaUberAlles » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Classic diversity hire. Hopefully he keeps Greg happy.
OmahaUberAlles

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:25 pm

Jays did a natty search with the firm Collegiate Sports Associates, along with a 6-member committee.
A month-long search (mid-July thru mid-August or so). Several noteworthy external candidates as well
as my (internal candidates) guys Mark Burgers and Adrian Dowell.

I personally favored an internal promotion, but I have no issues with the search nor the selectee.

Congrats to the Jays and to new AD Marcus Blossom. ;)

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby TBC Alum » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm

We hired Michael Che?

I'm sure he looks much different in person. But in that picture, wow
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:12 pm

OmahaUberAlles wrote:Classic diversity hire. Hopefully he keeps Greg happy.

Hasn't worked a day for Creighton and yet you've already dismissed him based on his race. Nice.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:26 am

DudeAnon wrote:

Hasn't worked a day for Creighton and yet you've already dismissed him based on his race. Nice.

Geezus H… he doesn’t speak for all of us. I’m embarrassed to read that honestly. If anything, we need to do a better job with diversity in light of the current environment than anyone else and I am proud to have him at Cu.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Django » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:53 pm

The only way to respond to a classless stupid post like this is with phrases that end in "and the horse you rode in on."
Django

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:51 am

DudeAnon wrote:

That's gotta be a troll account, what with the name and the SS avatar.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board