2022 Recruiting Class- EVEN BETTER THAN THE BESTEST!!!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2022 Recruiting Class- EVEN BETTER THAN THE BESTEST!!!

Postby Xuperman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:56 am

With the addition of Tyrell Ward, 247 has Xavier at #8 nationally for 2022.

https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... ws-100135/
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Novachap » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:32 pm

Xuperman wrote:With the addition of Tyrell Ward, 247 has Xavier at #8 nationally for 2022.

Nice Xup, Steele can certainly recruit!
Novachap

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:57 am

Novachap wrote:
Xuperman wrote:With the addition of Tyrell Ward, 247 has Xavier at #8 nationally for 2022.

Nice Xup, Steele can certainly recruit!

...players and women. Nice get(s). Congrats to Travis and the X faithful.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby adoraz » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Big East needs to aim for 5+ top 45-50 teams every year. That would make it more likely to achieve 5+ Tournament teams every year. Also need a minimum of 2 top 25 teams.

2021 Rankings (247 Composite):
#5 Creighton
#14 UConn
#16 Georgetown
#18 Marquette
#20 Villanova
#29 Seton Hall

#52 Xavier
#53 DePaul
#61 Butler
#63 St. John's
#66 Providence

Extremely impressive job this upcoming year. 6 teams easily within NCAAT range and the remaining 5 in NIT range. Also 5 top 25 (top 20) teams. Would be awesome to have 4+ AP Top 25 teams at some point over the next couple years.

Of course, recruiting is only one factor in success and it needs to be consistent. I am not implying that the above rankings will translate to how these teams will perform next year, but overall it is a great sign for the conference. Now, to test our consistency with the 2022 class...

2022 Rankings (247 Composite):
#9 UConn
#10 Xavier
#17 Villanova

#32 Seton Hall
#37 DePaul
#38 Providence
(rankings end at #43- still very early)

Very solid start to the 2022 class. 3 top 25 teams and 6 teams well within NCAAT range. Back to back top 25 classes by Nova and UConn implies they're likely to be consistent AP Top 25 teams. Seton Hall has done a good job as well. During the course of the realigned Big East we've had multiple AP Top 25 teams every year (and just about everyone has been ranked at least once), however Nova has been the only team consistently ranked. UConn should be another addition to that. I also would like to see a third team achieve that- perhaps from the Midwest (Creighton, Xavier or Marquette). My Johnnies could also be a factor, but I still think they need to pick up their recruiting to be a consistent AP Top 25 team.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:41 am

adoraz wrote:Big East needs to aim for 5+ top 45-50 teams every year. That would make it more likely to achieve 5+ Tournament teams every year. Also need a minimum of 2 top 25 teams.

2021 Rankings (247 Composite):
#5 Creighton
#14 UConn
#16 Georgetown
#18 Marquette
#20 Villanova
#29 Seton Hall

#52 Xavier
#53 DePaul
#61 Butler
#63 St. John's
#66 Providence

Extremely impressive job this upcoming year. 6 teams easily within NCAAT range and the remaining 5 in NIT range. Also 5 top 25 (top 20) teams. Would be awesome to have 4+ AP Top 25 teams at some point over the next couple years.

Of course, recruiting is only one factor in success and it needs to be consistent. I am not implying that the above rankings will translate to how these teams will perform next year, but overall it is a great sign for the conference. Now, to test our consistency with the 2022 class...

2022 Rankings (247 Composite):
#9 UConn
#10 Xavier
#17 Villanova

#32 Seton Hall
#37 DePaul
#38 Providence
(rankings end at #43- still very early)

Very solid start to the 2022 class. 3 top 25 teams and 6 teams well within NCAAT range. Back to back top 25 classes by Nova and UConn implies they're likely to be consistent AP Top 25 teams. Seton Hall has done a good job as well. During the course of the realigned Big East we've had multiple AP Top 25 teams every year (and just about everyone has been ranked at least once), however Nova has been the only team consistently ranked. UConn should be another addition to that. I also would like to see a third team achieve that- perhaps from the Midwest (Creighton, Xavier or Marquette). My Johnnies could also be a factor, but I still think they need to pick up their recruiting to be a consistent AP Top 25 team.

Nice recap as usual. Just going to mention again (already done by 5 different Nova guys in other threads), Nova was top 5 before Patterson enrolled early.

I agree with you about this ranking being indicative of general conference strength in the long run, but perhaps it means a little less now with chaotic transfer seasons every summer. Is there a good national snapshot of the transfer ranking?
supernova
kayako

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:04 am

It’s worth reading the full article excepted below.

How new NCAA transfer rules have coaches changing the way they recruit high school prospects - Gary Parrish, CBS Sports – July 21, 2021
College basketball coaches are leaning more on the transfer portal and less on recruiting high school players

Players, as you likely know, can now transfer once without penalty, which has directly led to a record number of student-athletes in the transfer portal this offseason. Some are transferring up in search of a bigger stage. Some are transferring down in search of a bigger role. The amount of movement is unprecedented -- and the byproduct was a building full of coaches evaluating prep prospects thoroughly this past weekend while asking themselves a simple question: "How many of these guys do I actually want?"

"I'm supportive of the one-time transfer thing, fully," said Pitt coach Jeff Capel. "But I think the people that it'll hurt the most are high school kids."

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl expanded on that thought. "We're going to end up probably taking half as many high school prospects as we would've taken before," he said. "Over a period of four years, in the past, we might've taken three or four high school players a year on average. Now it's going to be one or two."

That's a sentiment I heard from countless coaches over the weekend -- their point being that it'll rarely be sensible going forward to sign high school prospects early who don't figure to play for you as freshmen because A) you can probably find somebody better in the transfer portal, and B) now that players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a season, there's a decent chance you'll spend a year developing a limited-role freshman only to lose him after that year to a school that offers more playing time.

"I actually told my staff that I think we have to look at this differently because it's a different time," Capel said. "With this transfer portal, if a kid can't come in and have an impact [immediately], and if he's not realistic in understanding that, then you're setting yourself, and him, up for a transfer."

The word "transparency" came up over and over again when coaches were discussing an adjusted approach to pursuing high school prospects.

"If you recruit the 188th-ranked prospect, you now have to make sure he knows he's the 188th-best prospect, and you have to tell him that he's probably not going to play a lot early in his career because you've got this guy and this guy and this guy," Pearl said. "Kids want the truth. If you tell them the truth up front, they're less apt to leave you. So you have to be transparent with them."

Bottom line: the days of high-major programs signing six high school prospects in a class -- some who can help immediately, others who probably won't -- might really be over because, in this new world, players who aren't playing will often have one foot in the transfer portal by the end of December, and coaches know it because they just lived it. So the new approach for many is to mostly forget about two-year plans and three-year plans and just build the best roster you can build each year with almost nothing but players who can and will play immediately -- even if that means not using all of your available scholarships.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:.
It’s worth reading the full article excepted below.

How new NCAA transfer rules have coaches changing the way they recruit high school prospects - Gary Parrish, CBS Sports – July 21, 2021
College basketball coaches are leaning more on the transfer portal and less on recruiting high school players

Players, as you likely know, can now transfer once without penalty, which has directly led to a record number of student-athletes in the transfer portal this offseason. Some are transferring up in search of a bigger stage. Some are transferring down in search of a bigger role. The amount of movement is unprecedented -- and the byproduct was a building full of coaches evaluating prep prospects thoroughly this past weekend while asking themselves a simple question: "How many of these guys do I actually want?"

"I'm supportive of the one-time transfer thing, fully," said Pitt coach Jeff Capel. "But I think the people that it'll hurt the most are high school kids."

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl expanded on that thought. "We're going to end up probably taking half as many high school prospects as we would've taken before," he said. "Over a period of four years, in the past, we might've taken three or four high school players a year on average. Now it's going to be one or two."

That's a sentiment I heard from countless coaches over the weekend -- their point being that it'll rarely be sensible going forward to sign high school prospects early who don't figure to play for you as freshmen because A) you can probably find somebody better in the transfer portal, and B) now that players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a season, there's a decent chance you'll spend a year developing a limited-role freshman only to lose him after that year to a school that offers more playing time.

"I actually told my staff that I think we have to look at this differently because it's a different time," Capel said. "With this transfer portal, if a kid can't come in and have an impact [immediately], and if he's not realistic in understanding that, then you're setting yourself, and him, up for a transfer."

The word "transparency" came up over and over again when coaches were discussing an adjusted approach to pursuing high school prospects.

"If you recruit the 188th-ranked prospect, you now have to make sure he knows he's the 188th-best prospect, and you have to tell him that he's probably not going to play a lot early in his career because you've got this guy and this guy and this guy," Pearl said. "Kids want the truth. If you tell them the truth up front, they're less apt to leave you. So you have to be transparent with them."

Bottom line: the days of high-major programs signing six high school prospects in a class -- some who can help immediately, others who probably won't -- might really be over because, in this new world, players who aren't playing will often have one foot in the transfer portal by the end of December, and coaches know it because they just lived it. So the new approach for many is to mostly forget about two-year plans and three-year plans and just build the best roster you can build each year with almost nothing but players who can and will play immediately -- even if that means not using all of your available scholarships.

Ahhh, more whining from very well compensated coaches whose jobs have, admittedly, become more difficult. But the idea that high school kids aren't going to be recruited anymore is laughable. The number of scholies at Division 1 schools is not changing. And every year, a percentage of those scholies open because the person holding that scholie has graduated, gone pro, or quit college. New individuals will have to be recruited to take those scholies. Transfers already hold a scholie...just moving from one school to another. (As an aside, using Bruce Pearl as source of insight in an article about recruiting is rich, to say the least).

Agree with Pearl that they have to be more honest (which, quite frankly, isn't in his DNA) but disagree with his "only one or two high school guys" a year. bullsh--, unless he is saying he will solely recruit other schools' players. When his players graduate, go pro, leave school, or transfer, is he solely going to count on/recruit players from the portal? please.

The 188th ranked recruit already knows his "ranking." And highly ranked recruits have already had a little higher expectation of their ability. None of this has changed except coaches have to be more honest and transparent and they are talking like that's a bad thing.
Savannah Jay

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm

Georgetown gets a commit from CG Denver Anglin. Has had a great summer, noted to be one of the best shooters in the 2022 class. Currently #180 on 247 composite but I'm sure that will move up. Had alot of high major offers.
Jet915

Postby Husky_U » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 pm

Jet915 wrote:Georgetown gets a commit from CG Denver Anglin. Has had a great summer, noted to be one of the best shooters in the 2022 class. Currently #180 on 247 composite but I'm sure that will move up. Had alot of high major offers.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy underrated. Kid's a 3P bucket.
Husky_U

Postby sju88grad » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Johnnies on the board for 2022. PG Kolby King from Pembroke Pines, FL committed to SJU.
sju88grad

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board