They could just leave it and go back to being the Big 8 :lol:
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:08 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Long time, no see - realignment... how ya been?

IF it happens, the B12 just adds Houston and 1 other...oh well. :roll:

Not that easy gtmo.

The Big 12 is a shell of itself without Texas and Oklahoma.

It may survive, but it’s existing media payouts won’t.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:51 am

Unlikely that this move trickles down to the Big East right away, but it could be the first move toward 4 x 16 team leagues which might be a problem.
ArmyVet

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:32 am

I agree with this SB Nation poster that Baylor could end up courting the Big East, depending on how things go: https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/7/21 ... ce=twitter
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 am

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:I agree with this SB Nation poster that Baylor could end up courting the Big East, depending on how things go: https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/7/21 ... ce=twitter

Pretty huge stretch but I liked that he said, “The Big East is a great basketball conference with Villanova, Georgetown and Creighton”.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Bogg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

ArmyVet wrote:Unlikely that this move trickles down to the Big East right away, but it could be the first move toward 4 x 16 team leagues which might be a problem.

One thing that it could likely do for the conference is prevent Fox from totally blowing their budget on the Big 12. It doesn't mean the Big East would necessarily get more money than they would otherwise, but it could lighten up some of the downward financial pressure during negotiations.

EDIT: I also don't think 4x16 works because it requires the B1G and PAC to find 6 suitable adds between them and ND to join the ACC for football.
Bogg

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:43 am

Bogg wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Unlikely that this move trickles down to the Big East right away, but it could be the first move toward 4 x 16 team leagues which might be a problem.

One thing that it could likely do for the conference is prevent Fox from totally blowing their budget on the Big 12. It doesn't mean the Big East would necessarily get more money than they would otherwise, but it could lighten up some of the downward financial pressure during negotiations.

EDIT: I also don't think 4x16 works because it requires the B1G and PAC to find 6 suitable adds between them and ND to join the ACC for football.

My question is whether the ACC would poach the Big Ten, or vice versa?
ArmyVet

Postby Bogg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am

ArmyVet wrote:My question is whether the ACC would poach the Big Ten, or vice versa?

ACC doesn't have the revenue to grab anyone from the B1G. Flip side is the ACC's got a long-term GORs. ACC also probably doesn't want to go to 15 in football and can't force ND to be #16 right now. My guess is maybe the PAC grabs 2-4 schools if the package is headlined by Kansas and that's it for life rafts.
Bogg

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:57 am

What if the ACC was able to convince Notre Dame to join as a full member. Then they grabbed UConn as well just for the basketball programs?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Husky_U » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Omaha1 wrote:What if the ACC was able to convince Notre Dame to join as a full member. Then they grabbed UConn as well just for the basketball programs?

Notre Dame would handpick #16 and it wouldn't be us. The ACC ship has sailed.
Husky_U

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board