Gavitt Game Slate

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gavitt Game Slate

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:58 am

Hall2012 wrote:Sounds like Marquette was supposed to host Rutgers but some matchups had to be rearranged so RU could duck them.

Interesting. Source? Illinois is a much better match-up from a fan-interest standpoint. However, MU's 7-1 record against Rutgers in the Big East might have gotten them hesitant to lock-in that game.

Also interesting - so a B1G/BE school could refuse the matchup assigned to them? I wonder if that had happened before.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Novachap » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Sounds like Marquette was supposed to host Rutgers but some matchups had to be rearranged so RU could duck them.

Interesting. Source? Illinois is a much better match-up from a fan-interest standpoint. However, MU's 7-1 record against Rutgers in the Big East might have gotten them hesitant to lock-in that game.

Also interesting - so a B1G/BE school could refuse the matchup assigned to them? I wonder if that had happened before.

Yes, GW.. clearly has happened other times. Michigan State ducked Nova this year! :lol:
Novachap

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:05 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:

I say "duck them" tounge-in-cheek as the common RU line is to accuse us of ducking them last year. Carino mentions it in the article below, Rutgers claimed a scheduling conflict prevented them from playing the planned MU game.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2021/06/24/seton-hall-basketball-michigan-gavitt-games/7490942002/
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby BEXU » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:32 am

MUPanther wrote:The 2021 Gavitt Tipoff Games schedule

Thursday, Nov. 18
Ohio State at Xavier

Cintas Center will be rocking and rolling. OSU likely to come in as Top 5.
BEXU

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:29 am

Jet915 wrote:Some underwhelming matchups and lazy scheduling having Nebraska as part of the games.

Creighton was already playing Nebraska this year. Hate that it’s now part of Gavitt instead of us getting another game against a Big Ten team.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby kayako » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 am

Omaha1 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Some underwhelming matchups and lazy scheduling having Nebraska as part of the games.

Creighton was already playing Nebraska this year. Hate that it’s now part of Gavitt instead of us getting another game against a Big Ten team.

Then just schedule a Big Ten team H&H, what's the problem?
supernova
kayako

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 am

kayako wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:

Then just schedule a Big Ten team H&H, what's the problem?

I am guessing that this was Creighton's choice...we knew the Nebby game was in Lincoln. If the Gavitt game was going to be an away game, i could envision Creighton saying "let's make Nebraska the Gavitt game" so that we could have another home game this year. Speculation on my part but it certainly makes sense given the 20 game league season and reduced OOC games.
Savannah Jay

Postby Husky_U » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:06 pm

The Gavitt Games contract is about to end, correct? Anyone know the odds of it being renewed?
Husky_U

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Husky_U wrote:The Gavitt Games contract is about to end, correct? Anyone know the odds of it being renewed?

If FOX wants it, the leagues will continue it.
ArmyVet

Postby kayako » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:47 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
I am guessing that this was Creighton's choice...we knew the Nebby game was in Lincoln. If the Gavitt game was going to be an away game, i could envision Creighton saying "let's make Nebraska the Gavitt game" so that we could have another home game this year. Speculation on my part but it certainly makes sense given the 20 game league season and reduced OOC games.

That's a possibility. It'll be a young team next season, and how much does it help the team if they lose to an unknown Big 10 team on the road in like the first week of the season? Nebraska is as easy as it gets from that conference. What I don't really agree with is the disappointment of not getting an extra Big 10 team in the schedule. Creighton can schedule one if it wants.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board