ArmyVet

Re: BE Eliminates Intraconference Transfer Rule

Postby Husky_U » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Well done Val. Better late than never.
Husky_U

Postby Husky_U » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:21 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Is this a good thing?

It would be dumb not to considering most other power conferences have already done so.
Husky_U

Postby kayako » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm

Needed to be done, especially for the east coast schools that recruit a lot of the same highschool prospects. Bad blood? Bring it on.
supernova
kayako

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:20 am

College sports has officially entered free agency. We will be seeing average shelf life of head coaches go from "5 years to judge" to "win in two seasons or else".

This is good for programs at the top of the food chain and not-so-good for the mid and low-majors. They've officially become organ donors.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:College sports has officially entered free agency. We will be seeing average shelf life of head coaches go from "5 years to judge" to "win in two seasons or else".

This is good for programs at the top of the food chain and not-so-good for the mid and low-majors. They've officially become organ donors.

I think you’re oversimplifying GW. I can cite several instances in which good players were buried behind better players at Nova, or just weren’t good fits. They leave and blossom elsewhere (at lower levels). JQ was never going to replace Gillespie. He goes to ‘Bama and had a really good season for them last year. Dylan Painter leaves Nova and became a force for U. of Delaware. It can work both ways.

Conversely we had some mid-major guys (Joe Cremo) who just couldn’t excel at this level. In hindsight his playing time could have gone to a younger guy who could develop.

I mean just this year we lost Swider to one of those programs well below our level. :lol: Hoping he has individual success, but there just wasn’t room at the Inn for him.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEhomer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:15 pm

keeps the talent within the conference. i don't see anything wrong with this.

seemed like a rule that was mostly to protect the coaches themselves. can't imagine the backlashes if a player who transferred out has breakout career at other school. and he always has big games against you. just adds to the rivalry and storyline.
BEhomer

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:40 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:College sports has officially entered free agency. We will be seeing average shelf life of head coaches go from "5 years to judge" to "win in two seasons or else".

I think you’re oversimplifying GW. I can cite several instances in which good players were buried behind better players at Nova, or just weren’t good fits. They leave and blossom elsewhere (at lower levels). JQ was never going to replace Gillespie. He goes to ‘Bama and had a really good season for them last year. Dylan Painter leaves Nova and became a force for U. of Delaware. It can work both ways.

Conversely we had some mid-major guys (Joe Cremo) who just couldn’t excel at this level. In hindsight his playing time could have gone to a younger guy who could develop.

I mean just this year we lost Swider to one of those programs well below our level. :lol: Hoping he has individual success, but there just wasn’t room at the Inn for him.

Totally agree with this assessment. The Jays have had some dudes go to mid-majors and excel (like Marlon Stewart) or at least play. I'd love someone to tabulate the number of transfers by major to major, major to mid-major, and mid-major to major. My hypothesis would be that there are just as many, or more, guys that transfer down to a mid-major because they can't get on the floor as there are mid-major studs transferring "up."

If all of the transferring leads to more honesty and transparency in the recruitment process, I'm here for it. But whether there's some "misleading" info in the recruitment or the coach and the player think it's a fit (Quinnerly, for example) and it just isn't, I think kids should have one "free" transfer without sitting out a year.
Savannah Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Come on down Posh!
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board