Let's review Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Creighton

Postby sciencejay » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:26 pm

In addition to Jalen Courtney-Williams, Ryan Miller (Mason's uncle) named assistant at CU today. Ryan Miller has been a long-time assistant for a number of solid programs, but I hate the optics of a kid signing with us about the same time his uncle gets hired to coach--we're not Okie St or Kentucky.

Independent of the uncle thing, both seem to be good hires for us. Hope they both recruit well too.
sciencejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 pm

Interesting quote from Coach Miller:

“I will be in charge of the defensive aspect of the game over here [at Creighton], and I will be a defensive coordinator, making those types of calls during the game,” Miller said. “It’s very similar, but at Creighton I’ll be more hands-on with our defensive schemes. McDermott does offensive and defensive coordinators, which is unique in basketball. Dixon did more of a guard and forward breakdown, and I was in charge of the guards.”
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby cu blujs » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm

sciencejay wrote:In addition to Jalen Courtney-Williams, Ryan Miller (Mason's uncle) named assistant at CU today. Ryan Miller has been a long-time assistant for a number of solid programs, but I hate the optics of a kid signing with us about the same time his uncle gets hired to coach--we're not Okie St or Kentucky.

Independent of the uncle thing, both seem to be good hires for us. Hope they both recruit well too.

There are no "optics" here. Mason committed last December or January, long before anyone had an inkling there might be an opening for an Asst. Coach. If you read the article on Ryan Miller's hiring, Mason lobbied Ryan to come to CU. Just simply not even close to a case of hiring dad/uncle/AAU coach as an assistant to get the kid.
cu blujs

Postby sciencejay » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:52 pm

cu blujs wrote:
sciencejay wrote:In addition to Jalen Courtney-Williams, Ryan Miller (Mason's uncle) named assistant at CU today. Ryan Miller has been a long-time assistant for a number of solid programs, but I hate the optics of a kid signing with us about the same time his uncle gets hired to coach--we're not Okie St or Kentucky.

There are no "optics" here. Mason committed last December or January, long before anyone had an inkling there might be an opening for an Asst. Coach. If you read the article on Ryan Miller's hiring, Mason lobbied Ryan to come to CU. Just simply not even close to a case of hiring dad/uncle/AAU coach as an assistant to get the kid.

I did read the article, and my concerns about optics are well founded. Mason Miller signed his LOI just last week (04/21/21)--he may have verbally committed months ago, but like TyTy, he could've walked away until last week. His signing of the LOI preceded the announcement of the hiring of his uncle by five days--you think that's just a coincidence? Like I said previously, I don't think the optics are great, but I'm hopeful that he is able to develop players as advertised so that we don't have too deep of a dip this next season.
sciencejay

Postby cu blujs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 am

Agree to disagree, I guess. Never suggested you hadn't read the article. But, I don't think its even close to what you suggest, nor have I heard or seen a single person in any forum/twitter/podcast, etc. suggest that. He's highly enough rated that I think someone would have said something if they thought it. Granted, I don't follow every possible source, so maybe. In any event, no doubt a win - win for Creighton.
cu blujs

Postby LMS » Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 am

Very pleased with our hires. There’s also been some scuttlebutt about former Creighton star Ben Walker possibly returning to campus in some type of role within the basketball team or athletic department.
LMS

Postby MUPanther » Mon May 03, 2021 12:45 pm

Former Northwest Missouri State (DII) F Ryan Hawkins has committed to Creighton
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 pm

MUPanther wrote:Former Northwest Missouri State (DII) F Ryan Hawkins has committed to Creighton

6'7" 220 lb, 22.6 pts/8.8 reb during season and 31/18 in D2 natty, which they won. Shot .460 from 3 (87/189). For reference, Ballock was 79/197 for us this year. Seems like a good fit.
Savannah Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Good p/u by the Jays...proven winner, excellent shooter (all 3 levels), rebounder, Leader.

https://bluenotes2.com/in-the-paint-posts/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Jet915 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Another D-II star to D-I as 6-7 Northwest Missouri State F Ryan Hawkins commits to Creighton.

22.6 ppg, 8.8 rpg, .460 3PT (87-189) for D-II national champs as R-SR (Elite 8 MOP had 31 pts/18 rbs in final).

2x MIAA DPOY, 16 ppg, 7.2 rpg, .410 3PT (285-695) in 4 yrs at Northwest.

Hopefully this is the first of a few more high impact transfers. Competition was D2 but numbers are impressive.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board