2021 March Madness Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2021 March Madness Thread

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:37 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I have a different take than my two esteemed colleagues from Providence and Savannah (by way of Omaha). Baylor simply outmatched Gonzaga in almost every way. That game was never in jeopardy after the first 5 minutes IMO. Baylor certainly gave NCAA officiating something to discuss this offseason but they played right up to that line that the officials allowed. If the whistles got tight I would expect that they would pull back a bit. But handchecking or not I thought their footwork on D was exceptional. And their 2 bigs were in foul trouble for most of the game so it's not like they weren't called for fouls. Baylor's dominance was as much about taking advantage of Zags spotty D and their inability to rebound, than anything. They were +11 on O boards and +16 overall. They shot 44% from 3 and held Gonzaga to under 30%. Ball game. THe better team won.

After Saturday I kind of expected this... UCLA took a lot out of the Zags, and showed that if you grinded them a bit physically you could have success. Baylor is all about grinding. It's a shame that Gonzaga wasn't a Big East team because games against PC, SJU, UConn and Nova would have served them well.

Certainly agree on Gonzaga's spotty (you're being kind with that adjective) D and that the better team won...without question. I did watch the game and followed the stats real time : ) so i know where they stood.

My overarching commentary is really about the general unevenness of officiating whereby the teams that are known as "great defensive teams" seem to be given more latitude for physical play. Baylor...WVU...TTU...there are others (perhaps the colleagues you mentioned above). All credit to anyone that plays that way and "gets away with it." Baylor metaphorically punched Gonzaga so hard it was 10 minutes into the game before they knew what hit them. I do agree that Gonzaga playing better and more physical competition would have served them well last night. After those first ten minutes, it was 26-10. From there on out, the game was 60-60 but they were sunk.

It just seems like, game to game, the rules are slightly different.

EDIT: When NCAA officiating is looking at aforementioned physical play they might want to discuss the block vs. charge calls.
Savannah Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Angry Dan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I have a different take than my two esteemed colleagues from Providence and Savannah (by way of Omaha). Baylor simply outmatched Gonzaga in almost every way. That game was never in jeopardy after the first 5 minutes IMO. Baylor certainly gave NCAA officiating something to discuss this offseason but they played right up to that line that the officials allowed. If the whistles got tight I would expect that they would pull back a bit. But handchecking or not I thought their footwork on D was exceptional. And their 2 bigs were in foul trouble for most of the game so it's not like they weren't called for fouls. Baylor's dominance was as much about taking advantage of Zags spotty D and their inability to rebound, than anything. They were +11 on O boards and +16 overall. They shot 44% from 3 and held Gonzaga to under 30%. Ball game. THe better team won.

After Saturday I kind of expected this... UCLA took a lot out of the Zags, and showed that if you grinded them a bit physically you could have success. Baylor is all about grinding. It's a shame that Gonzaga wasn't a Big East team because games against PC, SJU, UConn and Nova would have served them well.

I agree with this as well. I was very impressed with how quick and speedy Baylor was on defense. Gonzaga had so much trouble getting by Bear defenders, even before any grabbing took place. The Bears were moving their feet and getting to the spots they needed to get to. This championship game had a physical element which was speed and quickness. Gonzaga looked slow for the first time in a long time. Baylor had a game plan that worked from the beginning, which fueled their confidence and decision making. Raf kept noting how they were locked in during the first half, and he noted it with excitement. That doesn't happen often in games, but when it does it can be powerful.
Angry Dan

Postby billyjack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 pm

March Madness Trivia...

Creighton vs UCSB:
During the commercial break before Bishop hit his two game-winning free throws, what was the last commercial shown before they came back to live action?

I just saw this weird commercial during the Braves-Phillies game, which reminded me of bei g on the edge of my seat while awaiting Bishop's clutch shots...
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:39 pm

billyjack wrote:March Madness Trivia...

Creighton vs UCSB:
During the commercial break before Bishop hit his two game-winning free throws, what was the last commercial shown before they came back to live action?

I just saw this weird commercial during the Braves-Phillies game, which reminded me of bei g on the edge of my seat while awaiting Bishop's clutch shots...

Answer is the iPhone unbreakable case, whete the girl walking down the sidewalk juggles her phone with stupid noises in the background.
Providence
billyjack

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board