Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion.

Postby NJRedman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Go all out for porter Moser
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:21 pm

NJRedman wrote:Go all out for porter Moser

Yes, guy can coach.

I just recently started reading up about him. He's really an unknown here back East. I had only heard that he had some mediocre seasons. I didn't know that between his mediocre years at Illinois State, and taking the Loyola job, he was an assistant under Rick Majerus for several years, in order to re-tool his coaching philosophy. Also, he got his first head coaching job when he was like 33 at Little Rock
Providence
billyjack

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Learning from Rick Majerus is a good thing.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 pm

billyjack wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Go all out for porter Moser

Yes, guy can coach.

I just recently started reading up about him. He's really an unknown here back East. I had only heard that he had some mediocre seasons. I didn't know that between his mediocre years at Illinois State, and taking the Loyola job, he was an assistant under Rick Majerus for several years, in order to re-tool his coaching philosophy. Also, he got his first head coaching job when he was like 33 at Little Rock

I like Mike Anderson but we went after him before that and he turned us down for money money to stay at Loyola. Maybe he wants to stay in the Mid-west and Milwaukee isnt that far from Chicago.
NJRedman

Postby adoraz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Porter turned St. John's down because there was disagreement amongst the St. John's higher-ups regarding his hiring, and our coaching search was a national embarrassment (Repole response). Otherwise, I'm fairly confident he would've joined.

That said, he is a tougher get now.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:13 am

adoraz wrote:Porter turned St. John's down because there was disagreement amongst the St. John's higher-ups regarding his hiring, and our coaching search was a national embarrassment (Repole response). Otherwise, I'm fairly confident he would've joined.

Probably would not have gotten him. He's a suburban Chicago guy. That's pretty much spent his whole life in the Midwest. There's a bunch of articles out there about how much he loves Chicago and doesn't want to uproot his family. If Marquette goes after him they'll be pitching him on the idea that he just rent get a condo for the late nights in Milwaukee and most the time he can just commute to the north shore Chicago suburbs.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby cu blujs » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:44 am

After Porter's playing days, he was a grad assistant for Tony Barone in the very early 90s before Tony left Creighton for aTm. Porter also bartended at Pauli's, a local establishment that was a Bluejay fan post-game hangout. We would leave the game, hustle to our car to beat most of the crowd out of the parking lot and drive to the bar several miles away, and somehow it seemed that Porter almost always managed to already be behind the bar serving us our first beer.
cu blujs

Postby adoraz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 am

MUBoxer wrote:
adoraz wrote:Porter turned St. John's down because there was disagreement amongst the St. John's higher-ups regarding his hiring, and our coaching search was a national embarrassment (Repole response). Otherwise, I'm fairly confident he would've joined.

Probably would not have gotten him. He's a suburban Chicago guy. That's pretty much spent his whole life in the Midwest. There's a bunch of articles out there about how much he loves Chicago and doesn't want to uproot his family. If Marquette goes after him they'll be pitching him on the idea that he just rent get a condo for the late nights in Milwaukee and most the time he can just commute to the north shore Chicago suburbs.

Maybe, tough to know for sure. I just know that a large portion of the St. John's administration and alumni base did not want him (myself included), so that made him remove himself from the running quickly.

Back then he was not in high demand. No high majors were really going after him. He was a one-hit wonder. This was also in 2019 when he only made the NIT, a year removed from his 2018 FF (and only Tournament appearance). Today the situation is totally different with him making a second deep run.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:18 pm

At this rate the Bucks will court Porter Moser.
supernova
kayako

Postby MarquetteRustler » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:52 pm

For some reason Shaka Smart is one of the more popular candidates on the Marquette board. That would be a pop up to the catcher on a 3-0 count hire.
MarquetteRustler

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board