Coaching changes 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching changes 2021

Postby DemonBaby » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:58 am

Demon22 wrote:New interview with DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy makes it sound like it's just a matter of time until the school moves on from Dave Leitao...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-sat ... ayne-peevy

"I didn’t come here to be last," DeWayne Peevy said. "We’re last again."

"I’m not afraid to make changes if that’s what we need to do," Peevy said.

"The direction and support that I’m trying to get for our men’s basketball program and our athletic program as a whole, can I get that with our current situation going forward?" Peevy said. "It’s more of a business decision.

"If that support, coupled with what we have, leads us to where I’m trying to go, then that makes the decision for me. If those things are different, if the support can’t come or I don’t think that’s going to make the difference in our current situation, then that’s when you make changes."

Just a matter of time. Lots of up and coming coaches will see this as an opportunity to turn around a one-time brand program in a large city. Future is limitless under the right guy.
DemonBaby

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Demon22 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 am

In a series of tweets following last night's loss to UConn, DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy thanked the team's fans and characterized the 2020-21 season as "disappointing," and later added, "we didn't produce the results we are capable of."

Peevy said that DePaul will "turn the page" next week and added that every player on the roster has the option to return for the 2021-22 season. He did not mention anything about the current staff returning.

Reading between the lines, the guess is that the school will announce a change in leadership on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Demon22

Postby eye of the jay » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:53 am

Demon22 wrote:In a series of tweets following last night's loss to UConn, DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy thanked the team's fans and characterized the 2020-21 season as "disappointing," and later added, "we didn't produce the results we are capable of."

Peevy said that DePaul will "turn the page" next week and added that every player on the roster has the option to return for the 2021-22 season. He did not mention anything about the current staff returning.

Reading between the lines, the guess is that the school will announce a change in leadership on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Assuming this change does happen, any chatter on the Depaul board of ideal/potential replacements? I could see a nearby coach and Creighton alum Porter Moser of Loyola getting a look due to his recent success and knowledge of recruiting in the area. They may want an up-and-coming younger coach though.
eye of the jay

Postby Demon22 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 am

eye of the jay wrote:Assuming this change does happen, any chatter on the Depaul board of ideal/potential replacements? I could see a nearby coach and Creighton alum Porter Moser of Loyola getting a look due to his recent success and knowledge of recruiting in the area. They may want an up-and-coming younger coach though.

Keeping in mind that I think DePaul is willing to spend this time around, if you made me guess the leading candidates, I'd handicap them this way:

1. Kenny Payne, Knicks Assistant Coach

2. Porter Moser, Loyola (CHI) Head Coach

3. Dennis Gates, Cleveland State Head Coach

4. Darian DeVries, Drake Head Coach
Demon22

Postby outlawwales23 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:51 am

Demon22 wrote:
eye of the jay wrote:Assuming this change does happen, any chatter on the Depaul board of ideal/potential replacements? I could see a nearby coach and Creighton alum Porter Moser of Loyola getting a look due to his recent success and knowledge of recruiting in the area. They may want an up-and-coming younger coach though.

Keeping in mind that I think DePaul is willing to spend this time around, if you made me guess the leading candidates, I'd handicap them this way:

1. Kenny Payne, Knicks Assistant Coach

2. Porter Moser, Loyola (CHI) Head Coach

3. Dennis Gates, Cleveland State Head Coach

4. Darian DeVries, Drake Head Coach

DeVries is surely too smart to take that gig.
outlawwales23

Postby Demon22 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:21 pm

outlawwales23 wrote:DeVries is surely too smart to take that gig.

And Payne, Moser, and Gates are dumb?
Demon22

Postby Husky_U » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Gregg Marshall.
Husky_U

Postby outlawwales23 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Demon22 wrote:
outlawwales23 wrote:DeVries is surely too smart to take that gig.

And Payne, Moser, and Gates are dumb?

I don't know anything about Payne. For Gates simply getting into the Big East would be a pretty big lure. Moser isn't as young and perhaps more inclined to take a risk to get into a major conference.

DeVries is a candidate for National Coach of the Year this year, has only been a head coach for a couple of years, and is in position to challenge for national prominence with Drake until the Creighton position opens up. And having already been an assistant in the Big East, he is very familiar with the league and DePaul and what taking that job might do to torpedo the potential rise of his career.

Different circumstances for all of them.
outlawwales23

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm

Husky_U wrote:Gregg Marshall.

You don't want to deal with his crazy wife :lol:
Jet915

Postby Husky_U » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Husky_U wrote:Gregg Marshall.

You don't want to deal with his crazy wife :lol:

Oh, I'm fully aware of what would come from that hire. But winning in Chicago is tough, and the end justifies the means IMO.
Husky_U

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board