Coaching changes 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching changes 2021

Postby Husky_U » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:36 pm

Omaha1 wrote:McDermott officially suspended by Creighton.

It's a bad look that they waited until after the Nova game to do this. I doubt he coaches again at Creighton. Unfortunate situation all around.
Husky_U

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:31 pm

I just started a thread specific to the McDermott story. He's been an important part of the Big East and i'd like for any news about his situation, first hand knowledge etc, to be shared if appropriate.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Demon22 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 am

New interview with DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy makes it sound like it's just a matter of time until the school moves on from Dave Leitao...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-sat ... ayne-peevy

"I didn’t come here to be last," DeWayne Peevy said. "We’re last again."

"I’m not afraid to make changes if that’s what we need to do," Peevy said.

"The direction and support that I’m trying to get for our men’s basketball program and our athletic program as a whole, can I get that with our current situation going forward?" Peevy said. "It’s more of a business decision.

"If that support, coupled with what we have, leads us to where I’m trying to go, then that makes the decision for me. If those things are different, if the support can’t come or I don’t think that’s going to make the difference in our current situation, then that’s when you make changes."
Demon22

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 am

Demon22 wrote:New interview with DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy makes it sound like it's just a matter of time until the school moves on from Dave Leitao...

"The direction and support that I’m trying to get for our men’s basketball program and our athletic program as a whole, can I get that with our current situation going forward?" Peevy said. "It’s more of a business decision.

"If that support, coupled with what we have, leads us to where I’m trying to go, then that makes the decision for me. If those things are different, if the support can’t come or I don’t think that’s going to make the difference in our current situation, then that’s when you make changes."

Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 am

Demon22 wrote:New interview with DePaul AD DeWayne Peevy makes it sound like it's just a matter of time until the school moves on from Dave Leitao...

Must feel good to be a DePaul fan and finally see someone taking winning seriously.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Must feel good to be a DePaul fan and finally see someone taking winning seriously.

Also must feel good to be a DePaul fan and see someone not run an athletic department like a family business.

Peevy's upcoming search will be fascinating. I'm sure some of his UK connections will be in play (Kenny Payne, Tony Barbee and Bruiser Flint). Cannot see Porter Moser leaving Loyola for DePaul. Wonder if Gregg Marshall's name will pop up in future openings. Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley were interviewed before Leitao was hired. They could be revisited again.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Husky_U » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:36 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Also must feel good to be a DePaul fan and see someone not run an athletic department like a family business.

Peevy's upcoming search will be fascinating. I'm sure some of his UK connections will be in play (Kenny Payne, Tony Barbee and Bruiser Flint). Cannot see Porter Moser leaving Loyola for DePaul. Wonder if Gregg Marshall's name will pop up in future openings. Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley were interviewed before Leitao was hired. They could be revisited again.

Great candidates, although the Hurley brothers have been pretty vocal about never wanting to play each other. Marshall is very intriguing.
Husky_U

Postby jfan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:03 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Demon, all you had to do is crawl 100 yards through a pipe full of poop to get to your freedom!!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Demon22 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:53 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I'm sure some of his UK connections will be in play (Kenny Payne, Tony Barbee and Bruiser Flint).

Kenny Payne? Absolutely. In fact, I think he'll likely be Peevy's first call. But with the way the Knicks are performing, I just wonder if he might have NBA Head Coaching aspirations now.

I don't think you can talk about not coming to DePaul in order to finish last and include #DreamBig in every one of your tweets... and then hire someone like Barbee or Flint, who got fired from their last head coaching gigs for finishing last. Also, I'm not sure Peevy has a connection to Flint, anyway.

Cannot see Porter Moser leaving Loyola for DePaul.

I could see it. I doubt it'll happen for a couple of reasons, but I could see it.

Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley were interviewed before Leitao was hired. They could be revisited again.

Let's remember that Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley were interviewed by the previous AD, not by DeWayne Peevy.

Bobby Hurley? Sure. But I don't see him leaving ASU for DePaul, no matter how bad the relationship is between he and his AD.

Bryce Drew? Selling your fans on a coach who went 0-18 in his last year at Vandy is a tough ask.

But again... I think they'll make Kenny Payne say "no". If he does, then I think they probably turn to Moser. If he says "no", it's anyone's guess. But I seriously doubt they'll bring in someone who failed at their last head coaching gig.
Demon22

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 pm

Dennis Gates just punched a ticket tonight with Cleveland State. Could be a considerstion for DePaul if others like Thad Matta stay in retirement.

Also, not a Midwest guy, but keep an eye on Austin Claunch of Nichols State out of the Southland.

Also, Scott Nagy at Wright State in the Horizon, who did well in the Summit too.

I don't know too much about these guys other than their W-L records, although as an assistant coach, Gates was shoved by Grayson Allen during one of his tantrums.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board