Coaching changes 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching changes 2021

Postby Husky_U » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Yikes... Creighton may be looking for a new coach after McDermott's plantation comments.
Husky_U

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Husky_U wrote:Yikes... Creighton may be looking for a new coach after McDermott's plantation comments.

Nah. Obviously a poor choice of words but nothing more in my opinion.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:38 pm

While I have no idea what the heck he was trying to get across, sounds like the team is focused on their goals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Omaha1

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:37 pm

Wow. Shocking and incredibly poor choice of words. I assume it was just a brain fart moment with no malicious intent, but you've gotta be more sensitive than that. And you can be sure every coach he's recruiting against in the future is going to be reminding players about this.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:40 pm

I agree with you. Not sure what he was trying to say… Maybe “we need to stay together on this ship? “

My son who is in high school texted me and said “what the heck was he even trying to say?“

I have no idea son. No idea.
Omaha1

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm

I’d be interested to see if Gtmo might have a different take.
Omaha1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:03 pm

McDermott will be gone.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby sju88grad » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Omaha1 wrote:I agree with you. Not sure what he was trying to say… Maybe “we need to stay together on this ship? “

My son who is in high school texted me and said “what the heck was he even trying to say?“

I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I’ve literally never heard that phrase before. Poor choice of words for sure but I hope this doesn’t end his Creighton career.
sju88grad

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:28 pm

By the sound of it, ol' Mac was trying to band the crew together. We're all on this ship together...Now is not the
time to abandon ship
. That sort of thing. Let's all row together, not against one another. That sort of "all together
as one" sentiment. Just a poor choice of words on his part.

Asst Coach Rencher says the team is behind Mac and wanting to continue with him towards the season's goals. That is a good sign.

The discussion is rampant on the BJU. ESPN, Jemele Hill, and other sharks have entered the fray. Folks will be calling for his head on a pike.
IMHO it's all overreaction. A lot of hypersensitive folks in this BLM/MeToo timeframe who just love to see blood, any blood.

And all just in time to help Nova tomorrow. We're gonna weather this and Roll in Radnor tomorrow.
Django thinks this is all part of the ongoing curse on Creighton's Postseason...another thing to derail the Jays in the postseason. (smile)
With our recent successes this is the worst possible moment for such distractions. I wish that was merely "it", but there will be many looking
for a pound of flesh with Coach Mac as their target.

Many don't think Coach will survive in this current highly sensitive, strained, and divisive environment.

I personally, didn't take offense to the statement. However, I am an old sailor who has cussed, fussed, and been politically incorrect for 70 years now.
Coach is a good man. I don't think he was intending any racist comments. He was looking for a teamwork phrase...a unity phrase and came up with a
less than result. Our society is highly litigious, loves lawsuits, and looks for any excuse to extort-steal-civil suit monies for the slightest of transgressions.

I just hope Mac survives this. Mainly because the program has turned the corner into a national one. It is long overdue and I don't want to derail our progress.
2 years ago or more and I wouldn't have cared. Now the program is moving up in the right direction and that is MY main concern. Stability and continued
success with the program.
Mac's history and track record says that he can survive this. However, in the current USA environment I am not nearly as sure that he,
in fact, will survive this.

IMHO now is not the time to begin anew with another coaching regime. -gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Devil's Advocate » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 pm

sju88grad wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:I agree with you. Not sure what he was trying to say… Maybe “we need to stay together on this ship? “

I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I’ve literally never heard that phrase before. Poor choice of words for sure but I hope this doesn’t end his Creighton career.

Terrible choice of words. First he got caught paying recruits, and now this. How many strikes does he get?
Devil's Advocate

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board