Coaching changes 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Coaching changes 2021

Postby LMS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:53 pm

We had a 2020 thread so I figured that a new one was warranted.

Fordham is looking for a new coach and Steve Lavin was mentioned.

Marquette- Wojo’s seat is starting to warm up. Wondered if marquette would look at long time Creighton assistant, Darian Devries, who was MVC CoY and currently has Drake 15-0. He might not be a big name, but I know a lot of CU folks have penciled him in when Mac retires someday.

Leiato- new AD at DePaul. It’s hard to imagine him being there much longer.
LMS

Coaching changes 2021

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Coaching changes 2021

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:14 am

I imagine Marquette is at the level where they'd only hire an assistant internally, so any outside person would have to be a head coach.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:00 pm

Marquette has far too much talent - and pride - to accept these results. Change is inevitable.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Angry Dan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Porter Moser at Loyola Chicago and Devries at Drake are both having big years. Moser got Loyola CHI to the Final Four in 2018. Devries has a son who is a four star that would come with him if he leaves Drake. Moser and Devries are both former Creighton players so they might be hard to sell to Marquette fans.

What other head coaching candidates are out there with ties to Marquette?
Angry Dan

Postby Django » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:39 pm

I’m surprised Porter Moser to DePaul hasn’t happened. I know he loves Loyola and already has a Finsl Four there but he’s a Chicago guy and think he would do wonders with the Blue Demons.
Django

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Django wrote:I’m surprised Porter Moser to DePaul hasn’t happened. I know he loves Loyola and already has a Finsl Four there but he’s a Chicago guy and think he would do wonders with the Blue Demons.

That would be a home run.
Jet915

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:00 am

Wojo is as good as gone, and it is sadly time to make a separation (for MU and for Wojo). Seven years, zero tournament wins, and the program now has three straight years of a downward spiral to end a season. There are no more reasons to justify keeping him. And, for Wojo, he needs to leave before next year because the roster will be even worse than it is this year. If there is one thing that will 100% prevent you from getting another head coaching gig, it is sustained losing. MU, under Wojo, will have had more losing seasons than it did under any other head coach in decades. Wojo walked into a program elevated by Tom Crean and Buzz Williams, a program that had made a Final Four, an Elite Eight, multiple Sweet 16s and countless NCAAT appearances. Wojo, while a strong recruiter, has failed to develop talent necessary to compete in the Big East, failed to develop a winning system to compete with the top-half of the Big East, and has failed to have a program that competes for NCAAT berths and potential wins. To add insult to injury, we have a player telling fans to STFU to fans on Twitter and we have a parent telling fans not to watch or support the program if they are frustrated.

The next few weeks will get worse before things get better. We are, unfortunately, a dumpster fire at present.

Interesting rumor is that TC is already being connected to MU if/when it opens. I would not be surprised if a reunion did end up happening.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 am

I remember being at the SJ vs. Marq game at Carnesecca a few yrs ago when Ponds went off and we won by like 25 or something. That was a year when Marquette was oozing with talent. It seemed like when Marq got punched in the mouth by a team, they rarely responded. They seemed to stay down. Maybe it's just not getting kids who are tough enough. As Jamal Adams used to say about the Jets, "We need some dawgs in here". We definitely have some dawgs in Moore, Posh, etc. I don't see any for Marq. You need tough players who are ready to run through a brick wall for your coach. Pedal to the floor type players. Under Lavin we only had 1: D'Angelo Harrison...but they were rare. I see lots of parallels between us under Lavin and Marq now. Good recruiting, but nonexistent development, and players had questionable tenacity/character.
MullinMayhem

Postby Demon22 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Django wrote:I’m surprised Porter Moser to DePaul hasn’t happened. I know he loves Loyola and already has a Finsl Four there but he’s a Chicago guy and think he would do wonders with the Blue Demons.

I think that if DePaul makes a change, the guy to keep an eye on is Kenny Payne.
Demon22

Postby Jet915 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:47 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Wojo is as good as gone, and it is sadly time to make a separation (for MU and for Wojo). Seven years, zero tournament wins, and the program now has three straight years of a downward spiral to end a season. There are no more reasons to justify keeping him. And, for Wojo, he needs to leave before next year because the roster will be even worse than it is this year. If there is one thing that will 100% prevent you from getting another head coaching gig, it is sustained losing. MU, under Wojo, will have had more losing seasons than it did under any other head coach in decades. Wojo walked into a program elevated by Tom Crean and Buzz Williams, a program that had made a Final Four, an Elite Eight, multiple Sweet 16s and countless NCAAT appearances. Wojo, while a strong recruiter, has failed to develop talent necessary to compete in the Big East, failed to develop a winning system to compete with the top-half of the Big East, and has failed to have a program that competes for NCAAT berths and potential wins. To add insult to injury, we have a player telling fans to STFU to fans on Twitter and we have a parent telling fans not to watch or support the program if they are frustrated.

The next few weeks will get worse before things get better. We are, unfortunately, a dumpster fire at present.

Interesting rumor is that TC is already being connected to MU if/when it opens. I would not be surprised if a reunion did end up happening.

Who is TC? Can Marquette afford to dump Wojo with his contract? Assuming no underclassmen leave and their current recruiting class I would think talent wise Marquette would be near the top of the Big East...
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board