My Big East rankings going into conference play

The home for Big East hoops

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Leaving out Butler and DePaul because I have no results to go off of.

1. Creighton (3-1) - Haven't watched much but coming within 1 @ Kansas has gotta mean something.
2. Nova (4-1) - Long live the King
3. Xavier (7-0) - Wins over UC and Oklahoma with possibly incredible depth.
4. Marquette (4-1) - Big win over #4 Wiscy, could this finally be the year for Wojo? Look balanced and skilled.
5. UConn (3-0) - Sad to see their season cut short so far, but looked pretty good over USC
6. Seton Hall (3-3) - Decent win at PSU. Tough losses to URI and ORE and damn near beat UL. Tough OOC may benefit them come conference play.
7. Providence (4-2) - Looked awful vs IU but beat TCU, so who knows.
8. St. John's (5-1) - Decent wins over BC and LaSalle, hung tough with BYU. Potential here but I don't know enough of Anderson to give them benefit of the doubt.
9. Georgetown (2-2) - Hung tough with WVU, but Navy is a real tough loss
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My Big East rankings going into conference play

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 pm

The top half of the conference I think will make the Dance. Nova, Creighton, Xavier, UConn and Marquette. This year we don't have a team like Providence last year, though maybe DePaul and Butler will fit that category since they potentially haven't played enough OOC games to qualify for March Madness.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:07 am

On December 10, 2020 DudeAnon wrote:
1. Creighton (3-1)
2. Nova (4-1)
3. Xavier (7-0) - Wins over UC and Oklahoma with possibly incredible depth.
4. Marquette (4-1)
5. UConn (3-0)

Hmmm... As a Marquette fan, I’m aware that my opinion may be biased. So I asked around:

Link:
On December 7, 2020 the AP Poll Sportswriters wrote:
AP Top 25 Poll - Week 3

8. Creighton (1,068 points)
9. Villanova (1,033)

Others receiving votes: Marquette (22), UConn (12), Xavier (9)

Link:
On December 7, 2020 the Division I Basketball Coaches wrote:
Coaches Poll - Week 3

6. Villanova (581 points)
7. Creighton (561)

Others receiving votes: Marquette (16), UConn (6), Xavier (5)

Link:
On December 8, 2020 Joe Lunardi wrote:
Bracketology

1. Villanova
4. Creighton
9. Marquette
10. UConn
11. Xavier (Play-in game)

Link:
On December 11, 2020 Ken Pomeroy wrote:
2021 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings – Data through games of Thursday, December 10, 2020

3. Villanova (4-1)
13. Creighton (3-1)
33. Marquette (4-1)
50. UConn (3-0)
51. Xavier (7-0)
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Props on even giving this a shot. We just know so little right now that's very difficult to create any separation. I feel like most of our league looks exactly the same...1 good win and a whole lot of cupcake city. I'd put Nova first on the basis of 3 good wins (2 of which are excellent). Only Georgetown has a bad loss (Navy). Everyone else (who's played) pretty much just looks...the same?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Props on even giving this a shot. We just know so little right now that's very difficult to create any separation. I feel like most of our league looks exactly the same...1 good win and a whole lot of cupcake city. I'd put Nova first on the basis of 3 good wins (2 of which are excellent). Only Georgetown has a bad loss (Navy). Everyone else (who's played) pretty much just looks...the same?

Lol you're saying your 3-3 with a win over the preseason 12th place team in conference looks the same as say X with two quality wins at 7-0 (albeit some ugly wins in there) or us with a win over the #4 team in the country? I strongly disagree with your assessment
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:37 pm

The Dude is bashful... here's what he meant to do

1 Xavier 7-0 League leaders and 7-0...gotta count for sumthin'. Time will tell if not worthy.
2 Marquette 4-1 Beat the #4 team in the country. Warrior/GE's undervalued by the majority.
3 Nova 4-1 Long live the King.
3 Cr8n 3-1 Young upstarts, with the POtential to unseat the King.

...and the rest. (original post text)
5. UConn (3-0) - Sad to see their season cut short so far, but looked pretty good over USC
6. Seton Hall (3-3) - Decent win at PSU. Tough losses to URI and ORE and damn near beat UL. Tough OOC may benefit them come conference play.
7. Providence (4-2) - Looked awful vs IU but beat TCU, so who knows.
8. St. John's (5-1) - Decent wins over BC and LaSalle, hung tough with BYU. Potential here but I don't know enough of Anderson to give them benefit of the doubt.
9. Georgetown (2-2) - Hung tough with WVU, but Navy is a real tough loss.
Butler
DePaul
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:44 pm

In preseason rankings I had Nova & CU at the top--either order is fine as I think both are Top 3 type seeds in the NCAAT. Is that accurate? Most likely. Both proved they can beat / compete with high quality opponents. Both look the part IMO. Then I thought, UConn, PC and SHU were the next tier. Each had individual talents that I thought could carry their teams a bit (Bouk, Mamu, Duke). Mostly true again but Bouk is not yet filling that role for UConn like the other 2 are for their teams. Then I thought that X, Marq., SJU and Butler were prob just a c-hair behind those others. The reality is that Marq. and X have proven that maybe they are better than I thought. Both young talent and transfers are hard to predict preseason but I think in both cases, the talent is meshing really well.

So, once again, good luck predicting how the middle of the BE will shake out. I could see any of these teams 3rd or 8th without much of a stretch either way. Butler and DePaul are hard to gauge b/c they just haven't played, but I give Butler the benefit of the doubt based on culture and the opposite for DePaul. I think G'town struggles but, as per usual in the BE, they'll grab a handful of scalps along the way. Very psyched to see how we start beating up on each other. It's going to be a grind from top to bottom yet again.

Love this conference.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Jeff Goodman's latest Top 25 with several BE Teams.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
6h
Updated Goodman Top 25 with San Diego State making moves and a newcomer to the poll:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:03 pm

Marquette is a complete mystery to me. Based on the Wisky game, I'd put them top 3, but I can't unsee that Okla St. game. Wow, that was some bad basketball. Top-level talent, that much is certain.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Marquette is a complete mystery to me. Based on the Wisky game, I'd put them top 3, but I can't unsee that Okla St. game. Wow, that was some bad basketball. Top-level talent, that much is certain.

Same. I can't describe how confused I am. Fully expect UCLA to just zone us all game today and for us to look horrible. If they try to play west coast basketball against us they'll get rocked though IMO.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board