Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Edrick » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 am

The last couple of pages of this thread reminded me of this article. https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/260 ... ything-bad
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 am

Cheech wrote:Dayton in recent history the last 7 years has been more successful then any school in the Big East other than Nova and X. Only Nova and Xavier have made it to the elite eight during that time. You can ignore what happen last year, but you haven’t other than Nova had a team ranked as high as UD to end a season other than Nova. In fact the New Big East other then X and Nova a bit of Butler has been disappointing. Sure Providence , Marquette and Creighton Seton Hall have made NCAA appearances but have not gone deep. Georgetown DePaul and St Johns I believe combined have only 2 NCAA appearances the last 7 years. By the way we beat Providence like a drum in the NCAA. We will be the 12th team and you will enjoy having the Flyers.

God damn Dayton fans, I am trying to argue on your behalf and you can't help but shove that foot in your mouth. Just stop while your ahead man, seriously.

Its been a while since I witnessed their delusion so I forgot how annoying it can be. When they were successful with Archie it seemed to subside for a while because they tasted actual success, starting to regret my change in opinion on them.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Cheech » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am

Look don’t be a hater, when we are added it will make the conference better. Our rivalry will be back and you can keep yelling and screaming. So why don’t you email or tweet Bilas...Andy Katz..etc...they would ALL tell you Dayton would be a great fit. See ya soon.
Cheech

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:47 am

Cheech wrote:Dayton in recent history the last 7 years has been more successful then any school in the Big East other than Nova and X.

and Providence
and Creighton
and Seton Hall
and Butler

Sorry, but 1 cinderella run, 7 years ago as an 11 seed is all you have. And all it means is you got hot for a weekend after finishing 5th in the A10. The two schools you named and the 4 I added have been consistently stronger over that span. Now I'm sure you'll bring up this past year when Dayton did a nice job spoofing its computer numbers by beating up on the dreadful A10 - but at the end of the day the highlight of their resume was losing to Kansas.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby adoraz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am

Cheech wrote:Georgetown DePaul and St Johns I believe combined have only 2 NCAA appearances the last 7 years.

I'm not saying St. John's has been anything but a disappointment, but we've been to 2 NCAA Tournaments in the past 5 years. Georgetown also went in 2015 and before then were much better.

Also, St, John's has had excellent OOCs for the past 3 years but got hammered during Big East play. That's what happens when the conference is so good that even some teams with great resumes need to lose. This isn't the A10.

Oh, and the exact same thing can also be said about DePaul and Georgetown this year. Go check their schedules. 9/10 Big East teams were in line for a bid in early January (Providence is the one exception).

In other words, even the basement still contributed to the conference by raising our NET to #1.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Cheech wrote:Dayton in recent history the last 7 years has been more successful then any school in the Big East other than Nova and X. Only Nova and Xavier have made it to the elite eight during that time. You can ignore what happen last year, but you haven’t other than Nova had a team ranked as high as UD to end a season other than Nova. In fact the New Big East other then X and Nova a bit of Butler has been disappointing. Sure Providence , Marquette and Creighton Seton Hall have made NCAA appearances but have not gone deep. Georgetown DePaul and St Johns I believe combined have only 2 NCAA appearances the last 7 years. By the way we beat Providence like a drum in the NCAA. We will be the 12th team and you will enjoy having the Flyers.

God damn Dayton fans, I am trying to argue on your behalf and you can't help but shove that foot in your mouth. Just stop while your ahead man, seriously.

Its been a while since I witnessed their delusion so I forgot how annoying it can be. When they were successful with Archie it seemed to subside for a while because they tasted actual success, starting to regret my change in opinion on them.

How exactly is he “ahead” here? He’s getting ripped to pieces.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby bmorex » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:13 am

I forgot about the UDelusion. Nice trip down memory lane.

It's quite simple for Big East expansion. You're in a premier spot where you aren't forced to make a move. Frankly, you were even there prior to last year when UConn wanted to return to the conference. Wait and watch the dominoes fall, if they even do end up falling. If there is a need to expand in the future, there is always going to be the Daytons, SLUs and VCUs of the world that will jump at the mere hint of an invitation. (For the record, I wouldn't add any of them.) Just chill with the current 11 until a move is needed. You never know what might happen with the rest of the collegiate athletics landscape.
bmorex

Postby Husky_U » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:33 pm

When the P5 inevitably contracts, there will be plenty of better options: Pitt/Kansas/Cuse/Iowa State...
Husky_U

Postby DeltaV » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Husky_U wrote:When the P5 inevitably contracts, there will be plenty of better options: Pitt/Kansas/Cuse/Iowa State...

Not sure I would call it inevitable. They still need enough teams to fill out schedules, provide variety, and keep eyes coming in from across the country. And if it does, I'm guessing that there will be enough also-rans to fill out their own conference who still cares about football. I made a crack about Wake Forest earlier in the thread, and then did some reading up about it. Sounds like they still love their football program, though more for tailgating and the social aspect of it. A lot of programs are still like that, and likely wouldn't want to completely associate with the likes of Directional State University. Although, if the football majors do break off, a more academically focused but still football playing league (Say, Pitt, Cuse, Wake, Vandy as a core, maybe also Georgia Tech and add something like Cincinnati and Temple, and fill out as needed) would be a nice counterpoint to our basketball focused (and also quite good academically) league.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby jbarajas0490 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Husky_U wrote:When the P5 inevitably contracts, there will be plenty of better options: Pitt/Kansas/Cuse/Iowa State...

I would say NO to those 4 schools, we would be back to football schools v bball schools no thanks. Maybe Cuse and Pitt but again they always going to put football first so why go through it again.
jbarajas0490

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board