UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliott...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliot

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am

The interesting question is that with the loss of UConn, would the AAC look to add Dayton and/or VCU as BB only members to join WSU? Would these schools accept?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:01 am

Lol this guy...

So a prime time ESPN 2 game with 2 of the 3 most popular ACC teams got higher ratings than the first half of an FS1 game at noon on a Thursday where things were getting cancelled left and right and it was obvious the BET would end any second. Not to mention Creighton and St. John's aren't as popular nationally as teams like Villanova, Georgetown and Xavier. And THAT'S why we should add Dayton?

I'll say this: like it or not Dayton did at least play well enough this year that they should be considered in the future. Considered. In the future. For now I'll still take UConn over them without question.

This is a very good problem for the Big East to have. More selection is always better.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:The interesting question is that with the loss of UConn, would the AAC look to add Dayton and/or VCU as BB only members to join WSU? Would these schools accept?

If the AAC were smart they would do this. I'd imagine Dayton and VCU would both accept in a heartbeat.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 am

DudeAnon wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:The interesting question is that with the loss of UConn, would the AAC look to add Dayton and/or VCU as BB only members to join WSU? Would these schools accept?

If the AAC were smart they would do this. I'd imagine Dayton and VCU would both accept in a heartbeat.

You would think so(on both accounts). Especially VCU as they have little shot at the Big East.
stever20

Postby SamElliott » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The Big East will remain at 11 for a few years, likely until 2024 or until the anticipated renewed TV deal will come close to expiring. Unfortunately for Dayton and SLU, they aren't going anywhere, and even if they (or one) were to be added by the AAC to replace UConn, the Big East just cemented the pecking order of conference superiority by taking UConn (the league's best basketball brand) away from them as a non-football member.

This is a myopic view.
First of all, UConn has had an NBE invite since 2013, and it was only after the Huskies imploded in FB and MBB that they finally reached out. The NBE isn’t getting the UConn of 13-14. It’s getting a UConn that has its first season above .500 in 4 years (and they still didn’t reach 20 wins).
Taking a team in a nosedive isn’t establishing a pecking order.
UConn just realized they aren’t an all-sports brand.
If you want to know the advantages of being an all-sports brand, and being on ESPN over Fox (besides the obvious difference in revenue), watch the first 5 minutes of this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cy2mb4HaPho

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lROUR-eqqSU
God Bless the NBE but it just doesn’t have the money or this level of exposure. You can’t replicate this with an Olympic sports model. As Lovable Louie said in Requiem, you can’t compete with the stadiums. That’s where the pecking order begins and ends. UConn drew less than 10K (understandable since they haven’t won a league game since 2016). They simply needed to drop down.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cy2mb4HaPho

SamElliott

Postby jfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Still an AAAAAAAACK troll I see! How's that "Power 6" thing working out for you? Dominant in both college football and college basketball. Wow!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby SamElliott » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 pm

jfan wrote:Still an AAAAAAAACK troll I see! How's that "Power 6" thing working out for you? Dominant in both college football and college basketball. Wow!

I’m not an AAC troll. I was just stating the obvious.
“Power 6”?? The AAC was #5 according to Massey.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Pointing that out isn’t anti-NBE. Pointing out that ranking included a #125 ranked UConn team isn’t Anti-UConn. It’s true.

UConn needed to yield.
We can like Olympics-only and All-Sports leagues individually.
It’s also good to have healthy banter.
Television ratings are why conferences get paid.
Multi-bid basketball leagues go up and down from year to year. No matter whether it’s up or down, the value will be measured by Nielsen. Nobody was stopping UConn post-Calhoun, but thenselves. SDSU looked pretty damn good Post-Fish.
If Calhoun was still around UConn would be in the AAC.
SamElliott

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:32 am

SamElliott wrote:
jfan wrote:Still an AAAAAAAACK troll I see! How's that "Power 6" thing working out for you? Dominant in both college football and college basketball. Wow!

I’m not an AAC troll. I was just stating the obvious.
“Power 6”?? The AAC was #5 according to Massey.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Pointing that out isn’t anti-NBE. Pointing out that ranking included a #125 ranked UConn team isn’t Anti-UConn. It’s true.

UConn needed to yield.
We can like Olympics-only and All-Sports leagues individually.
It’s also good to have healthy banter.
Television ratings are why conferences get paid.
Multi-bid basketball leagues go up and down from year to year. No matter whether it’s up or down, the value will be measured by Nielsen. Nobody was stopping UConn post-Calhoun, but thenselves. SDSU looked pretty damn good Post-Fish.
If Calhoun was still around UConn would be in the AAC.

Counterpoint: If Calhoun was still around, UConn would have stuck with the C7 to begin with.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bogg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 am

SamElliott wrote:First of all, UConn has had an NBE invite since 2013, and it was only after the Huskies imploded in FB and MBB that they finally reached out.

Not quite. The two things that led to UConn heading back to the Big East were the TV networks threatening the Big 12 out of expanding, letting UConn know that they (and everyone else) were stuck in the G5, and then the AAC's television deal coming in low enough (and with enough content going online-only) that it didn't tie UConn to a conference it never intended to be in for more than three or four years.

SamElliott wrote:If Calhoun was still around UConn would be in the AAC.

Not at all. If you think the complaining about the conference was bad during a down period, the fans would have been multiple times worse if the team had been going 17-1 in conference play every year. I also doubt Calhoun would have stood for joining Conference USA Featuring Temple for any extended period of time.

Also, it'll never stop being funny that between his national and conference championships, three straight AAC championship appearances, and twice as many tournament wins as any other coach, Kevin Ollie is somehow still the most successful coach in AAC history.
Bogg

Postby TheBasketballOpinion » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:27 am

I'm shocked to this day about how a bunch of Conference USA schools think they have any right to be in the same discussion as the Big East. UConn is back where they belong. Going to be nice to have a conference mate that is actually hated.
Georgetown
TheBasketballOpinion

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board