(4) Saturday Big East Early Afternoon Games 2/1/20

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Saturday Big East Early Afternoon Games 2/1/20

Postby Django » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:31 pm

jfan wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Relax dJango, relax. While today's W was a great win, it was only 1 win. Nine more to go in the RS.
Nine more big games in conference play. Now is not the time for overconfidence.

Let's see if our Jays get ranked...AND if they are able to handle it/hold on to the rankings for more than1-2 games. :lol:
Ok, who kidnapped gtmo and what have you done with him?! I thought he would be predicting a FF after this win!

He's matured (0nly took him about 150 years) , I haven't. The Dunk is going to be like going into a haunted house. Pray for the Jays!!!
Django

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby paulxu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

So the BE's 3 ranked teams lost today.

Tough league.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:46 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:
Yeah, Xavier is probably the best of those 4 teams but what's going to hurt them is their lack of quality wins. They'll have plenty of chances, though.

really only 4 chances left now. Seton Hall, Nova, and Butler twice.... And that's assuming they win all the other games- with 4 of the 6 games being on the road.

I saw this post mid-game, so didn't get a chance to respond to the bad faith argument. Stever knows that road games against top 75 teams are Quad 1 games, and if it was an AAC team, he definitely would be mentioning that. Since it's a Big East team, he conveniently forgets it. Georgetown and DePaul are still solidly top 75 teams, and Providence and St. John's are both currently in the top 75 (meaning that we will likely have at least one there at the end of the season). So Xavier doesn't just have the four games Stever listed; they have between six and eight total Quad 1 games left.

Watch, he will come back with something like, "By 'chances,' I meant ranked opponents," having used vague language so he can move the goalposts how he wishes. Or maybe he will claim that he was talking about marquee wins, a highly subjective metric. Doesn't matter; Quad 1 wins are the driver of tournament resumes and he knows it.

The NCAA last year split up Quad 1 into 2 different tiers. 1 is top 15 home, top 25 neutral and top 40 away.

I really don't think X could have gotten in with only the road wins vs St John's, Providence, Georgetown, and DePaul.... At all. What do you always hear about in tourney selection time? Wins vs teams in the tourney. Well today is the 1st one that you can say for sure is in the tourney for Xavier. They desperately needed this win.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:56 pm

adoraz wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
On December 30, 2019 Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
NCAA Tournament – Quantitative Reference Thread

Listing of NCAA Tournament At-large Selections Under .500 in Conference Play - CBS SPORTS NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY.

On January 31, 2020 adoraz wrote:
I haven't looked that closely, but some of those teams I think would get in with 7-11 records and a win or 2 in the BET.

No team with a 7-11 conference record has ever received an NCAA Tournament At-large invitation.

Big East Live Scoreboard – ESPN

Not on my computer now so won't check, but I'm pretty sure 7-11 teams and even one 6-12 team (Georgia around 2000) have received at large bids. If St. John's got one last year at 8-10 in a down Big East then 7-11 is certainly in play.

Georgia in 2011 was 9-7.

Only 4 teams in history have ever made the tourney 4 games under .500 at large... 7-11 you better have a good road record and you better have a lot of Q1 wins. And you better have dominated OOC.
stever20

Postby kayako » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Match-up wise I thought Creighton is the most difficult opponent for Nova in the BE. We can't abuse their small frontcourt and their guards are superior. Just glad that we stole one in Omaha. Not too disappointed with the loss, but our slow starts are getting old fast. Needs to be addressed before March.
supernova
kayako

Postby Xuperman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 am

paulxu wrote:So the BE's 3 ranked teams lost today.

Tough league.

And all 3 were road kills AND revenge wins for earlier home losses.....ridiculously tough league.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 am

Congrats to the Creighton Bluejays on a great game vs Villanova, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well. Our Country is PROUD OF YOU!
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 am

billyjack wrote:Congrats to the Creighton Bluejays on a great game vs Villanova, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well. Our Country is PROUD OF YOU!

Damn that’s funny. It will be interesting to see what our hillbilly neighbors in Iowa do today when the caucus.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby paulxu » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am

billyjack wrote:Congrats to the Creighton Bluejays on a great game vs Villanova, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well. Our Country is PROUD OF YOU!

Well played!
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:30 am

Omaha1 wrote:

Damn that’s funny. It will be interesting to see what our hillbilly neighbors in Iowa do today when the caucus.

I loved last night the Twitter Account Retro News Now(great follow btw)- had on it the old Animaniacs pictures of Missouri and Kansas.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board