FOX Sports South
FOX Sports Southwest PLUS
FOX Sports Sun
FOX Sports West
FOX Sports Wisconsin
ROOT Sports
WCIU-DT / WMEU-CD - Chicago
YES
Last edited by MUPanther on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

(4) Saturday Big East Early Afternoon Games 2/1/20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (4) Saturday Big East Early Afternoon Games 2/1/20

Postby adoraz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:29 pm

Nice set of games. Would like to see Creighton upset Nova and shoot up into the rankings. Marquette also would get a bunch of votes with a W (frankly they'd deserve to be ranked).

Still a little too early to completely give up on Xavier, DePaul, Georgetown and St. John's. At this point I think 5 teams make it (with excellent seeds on average) but there's a solid chance at least one of those 4 can go on a run. Just don't ask me who, because I don't have much confidence in any of them individually.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:53 pm

adoraz wrote:Nice set of games. Would like to see Creighton upset Nova and shoot up into the rankings. Marquette also would get a bunch of votes with a W (frankly they'd deserve to be ranked).

Still a little too early to completely give up on Xavier, DePaul, Georgetown and St. John's. At this point I think 5 teams make it (with excellent seeds on average) but there's a solid chance at least one of those 4 can go on a run. Just don't ask me who, because I don't have much confidence in any of them individually.

I think of that group Xavier on paper should be (and perhaps will be) the one righting the ship and making a run for the 6th bid. Individually they've got talent. But they and DePaul both play so undisciplined. Taking care of the ball, not forcing bad shots, making FT's. Fundamentals that are the difference between a close win and a close loss. You look at talent alone and X and Butler should have each other's conference record IMO.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
adoraz wrote:Nice set of games. Would like to see Creighton upset Nova and shoot up into the rankings. Marquette also would get a bunch of votes with a W (frankly they'd deserve to be ranked).

I think of that group Xavier on paper should be (and perhaps will be) the one righting the ship and making a run for the 6th bid. Individually they've got talent. But they and DePaul both play so undisciplined. Taking care of the ball, not forcing bad shots, making FT's. Fundamentals that are the difference between a close win and a close loss. You look at talent alone and X and Butler should have each other's conference record IMO.

Xavier has 6 games left with the bottom 5..... I think they have to win all of those, and then probably 1 other.... @ Seton Hall, @ Butler, Villanova, Butler. Them at 8-10 with only wins over the 4 bottom teams I just don't see getting in. Might only have Cincy and TCU as even close to good wins. X is really late really early here.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 pm

Me too!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Letsgonova » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm

'Nova is clicking right now, just don't see an upset happening. Samuels should be back. Bey and Gillespie have been en fuego, and now JRE is making 3s. Defense has made marked improvements. This team can go deep in March, something I didn't believe 4 weeks ago.

Rooting for all of the home teams. Providence and DePaul need to eat losses for the good of the conference going forward, and want SHU-Nova next weekend to be a top 8 battle that grabs national attention.
Letsgonova

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:19 pm

This league is so deep it's quite possible we get 6 or 7 in if the PC pulls away from the bottom and has some quality wins and one of the bottom 4 make a run at MSG in the BET. All four have the ability to do so since I think there is no real dregs in this conference this year.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 pm

NJRedman wrote:

This league is so deep it's quite possible we get 6 or 7 in if the PC pulls away from the bottom and has some quality wins and one of the bottom 4 make a run at MSG in the BET. All four have the ability to do so since I think there is no real dregs in this conference this year.

PC would need to go 7-3 to get in though. That's gonna be really difficult with their remaining schedule.... And the bottom 4 will have the misfortune of seeing Villanova and Seton Hall(both of whom could easily be playing for 1 seeds in NYC) in the 2nd round.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Xavier has 6 games left with the bottom 5..... I think they have to win all of those, and then probably 1 other.... @ Seton Hall, @ Butler, Villanova, Butler. Them at 8-10 with only wins over the 4 bottom teams I just don't see getting in. Might only have Cincy and TCU as even close to good wins. X is really late really early here.

Yeah, Xavier is probably the best of those 4 teams but what's going to hurt them is their lack of quality wins. They'll have plenty of chances, though.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:25 pm

NJRedman wrote:

Yeah, not to get too much into it now because I haven't looked that closely, but some of those teams I think would get in with 7-11 records and a win or 2 in the BET. Seems that at least 1 of the 4 could go 5-4 or 6-3 from here on out.
Johnnies
adoraz

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board