UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliott...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliot

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:56 pm

If Hurley keeps recruiting the way he has been UConn will be fine. I know Villanova is a young team this year, and we have a habit of making most games interesting (building comfortable leads and giving them away, etc.), but UConn looked really good when we played against them and we were lucky to pull off the W. Give Hurley some time. I think UConn is going to be fine.

Remember, UConn was at this point, the only school that truly made sense for the Big East at this time. They have a GREAT history and RECENT success. They have a storied history in the Big East, old BE rivalries will be rekindled, they are in the Northeast, UConn's women's team is going to be tremendous for Big East women, etc. Gonzaga was the only other team that made sense, WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT, but geography too much of an issue. The only other teams I would entertain are St. Louis first, and then Dayton. VCU, Wichita State, etc. just don't scream Big East to me.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bogg » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:VCU, Wichita State, etc. just don't scream Big East to me.

My single biggest issue with VCU is that Virginia is solidly ACC-land and VCU is a definite little brother in-state to UVA/VT.

Agreed on Saint Louis as the potential (though possibly perpetual) Next School Up. The school, the facilities, etc have all been discussed. However, as not only a geographic border city on the fringes of the current Big East footprint while State U is a couple hour drive away, but also a border city between conferences where Illinois is in the B1G while Missouri is in the SEC but still has something of a leftover Big 12 vibe about then, they probably have the best chance out of the usual suspects to carve out their own identity without living in State U's shadow.
Bogg

Postby BEhomer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Husky_U wrote:UCONN's best players are all Freshmen and Sophomores. Again, the sooner we wash off the Ollie stank (ie get rid of his recruits), the better.

Gilbert was just a miss. can't really blame Ollie for recruiting him. he was a fantastic recruit coming out of high school. quick with elite handle. just never developed his game in college. (in part due to his injury?)

Vital is just not a starting guard on an elite team. his role should be to play defense and shoot open 3's. he's asked to create in critical moments way too often.

sometimes, one bad recruiting class sets you back 3-4 yrs. I think that is the case with UCONN. I wouldn't judge Hurley until he's had a chance to put his own recruits playing key roles.
BEhomer

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Bogg wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:VCU, Wichita State, etc. just don't scream Big East to me.

My single biggest issue with VCU is that Virginia is solidly ACC-land and VCU is a definite little brother in-state to UVA/VT.

Agreed on Saint Louis as the potential (though possibly perpetual) Next School Up. The school, the facilities, etc have all been discussed. However, as not only a geographic border city on the fringes of the current Big East footprint while State U is a couple hour drive away, but also a border city between conferences where Illinois is in the B1G while Missouri is in the SEC but still has something of a leftover Big 12 vibe about then, they probably have the best chance out of the usual suspects to carve out their own identity without living in State U's shadow.

I'd also add that (despite the claims of Stan Kroenke) St. Louis is a great sports town with no NBA team. I can see a scenario where going high major massively increases attention around SLU basketball. If we were to expand again, I think they're a strong choice. That said, I'm in favor of remaining at 11.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Django » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Is it too late to stay at 10?
Django

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:05 pm

St Louis is a pro sports town. They still have the baseball Cardinals and the hockey Blues. Sure, no football Cards nor Rams. No basketball Hawks - although the team owners still get paid by the NBA. College sports is an afterthought- led by Illinois, Mizzou, then the rest...Ill St, Mizzou St, SIU, SIUE, da Billikens, etc. SLU will never get decent market share.

It is wishful thinking to hope they will.

Correction: Pro basketball team was the ABA Spirits of SL. NBA finally settled in 2014 with the Silna brothers for another $500 Million.

“the greatest sports deal of all time.” With help from their lawyer, Donald Schupak, the Silnas had, since 1976, received a portion of the NBA’s television rights fees which added up to an estimated $300 million. The NBA has long wanted to somehow end the Silnas sweet deal. And it looks like, with an upfront payment of a cool $500 million or so, the NBA will finally get its wish.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke ... 0e9af84f0b
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:St Louis is a pro sports town. They still have the baseball Cardinals and the hockey Blues. Sure, no football Cards nor Rams. No basketball Hawks - although the team owners still get paid by the NBA. College sports is an afterthought- led by Illinois, Mizzou, then the rest...Ill St, Mizzou St, SIU, SIUE, da Billikens, etc. SLU will never get decent market share.

I disagree. Braggin Rights draws well every year, the SEC Tournament did well there as do NCAA events (basketball and they've hosted wrestling quite a bit). Arch Madness does well enough to keep the Valley going back every year, though losing CU and WSU has hurt it. Every school you mentioned is at least 2 hours from St. Louis except SLU and SIUe, plus they're mostly mid or low majors. Why would any of them be anything other than an afterthought? Would the Jays get much market share in Omaha if CU was 2+ hours away? And still playing in the Valley?

I'd bet that Big East hoops in downtown St. Louis would draw.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bogg » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:St Louis is a pro sports town. They still have the baseball Cardinals and the hockey Blues. Sure, no football Cards nor Rams. No basketball Hawks - although the team owners still get paid by the NBA. College sports is an afterthought- led by Illinois, Mizzou, then the rest...Ill St, Mizzou St, SIU, SIUE, da Billikens, etc. SLU will never get decent market share.

Eh, last year Saint Louis did a little under 7k a night against an A-10 schedule. I don't think it's a stretch to say that with a high major bump they'd be doing 8-9k a night and be a pretty standard Big East crowd.
Bogg

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Bogg wrote:

Eh, last year Saint Louis did a little under 7k a night against an A-10 schedule. I don't think it's a stretch to say that with a high major bump they'd be doing 8-9k a night and be a pretty standard Big East crowd.

Actually, just to keep this SLU discussion accurate, they used to get well over 10k per home game when Spoonhaur (sp) was coach there. They should have no problem filling up "Cintas West" in the event they were made part of the BE.

I still believe we should stick to 11 with UCONN, especially given that #11 is UCONN.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Hall2012 wrote:

I disagree. Braggin Rights draws well every year, the SEC Tournament did well there as do NCAA events (basketball and they've hosted wrestling quite a bit). Arch Madness does well enough to keep the Valley going back every year, though losing CU and WSU has hurt it. Every school you mentioned is at least 2 hours from St. Louis except SLU and SIUe, plus they're mostly mid or low majors. Why would any of them be anything other than an afterthought? Would the Jays get much market share in Omaha if CU was 2+ hours away? And still playing in the Valley?

I'd bet that Big East hoops in downtown St. Louis would draw.

Jays would draw in Omaha home games even if they were in St Louis... :lol: :lol: Jays would draw in Omaha home games if they were in Tampa... Boston...Phoenix. Need I go on? ;) ;) In fact we have a CU Medical school campus in Phoenix and I've been harping on playing more "home" games in Phoenix. :) Either play one of ASU/Grand Canyon/AU as road games and maybe 1 or 2 neutral court Buy Games in Phoenix.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board