NET rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NET rankings

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:07 am

Anyone have the time to research this: how many teams in the Big East have a better win than Memphis? You might be shocked. St. John's has 2 wins already that are better than any team Memphis has beat in the NET and it's not close. Arizona is 20 and WVU is 9. Memphis beat #35 NC State and #40? Tennessee. Just goes to show if you get the top recruiting class you will get the benefit of the doubt immediately which I think is silly. Teams should have to prove they belong first before earning gaudy rankings. They haven't faced anyone.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Anyone have the time to research this: how many teams in the Big East have a better win than Memphis? You might be shocked. St. John's has 2 wins already that are better than any team Memphis has beat in the NET and it's not close. Arizona is 20 and WVU is 9. Memphis beat #35 NC State and #40? Tennessee. Just goes to show if you get the top recruiting class you will get the benefit of the doubt immediately which I think is silly. Teams should have to prove they belong first before earning gaudy rankings. They haven't faced anyone.

But they have two road wins (one of which is against a decent Tennessee squad), a better overall record and a better SOS than the Johnnies. They’re going to get the nod.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 am

stever20 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:
Yeah gotta love stever math where 4 > 8

Every f--king year

Big East isn't getting 8 teams....

And the AAC isn't getting 4....
Westbrook#36

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:19 am

I'm just going to post this now, because I see stever is logged on and dying to reply, probably already has but it isn't being shown yet. Wonder why??? :lol:

Westbrook#36

Postby Edrick » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 am

stever20 wrote:Big East isn't getting 8 teams....

Yes, yes it is
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:04 am

Edrick wrote:

Yes, yes it is

I'll make a bet with you

if Big East gets 8 teams in, I'll never post here again.
If Big East gets 7 or fewer, I'm not moderated

You take the bet?
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:32 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:I'm just going to post this now, because I see stever is logged on and dying to reply, probably already has but it isn't being shown yet. Wonder why??? :lol:

Never gets old.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:26 am

stever20 wrote:
Edrick wrote:

Yes, yes it is

I'll make a bet with you

if Big East gets 8 teams in, I'll never post here again.
If Big East gets 7 or fewer, I'm not moderated

You take the bet?

Ahh, you're a betting man. I have a bet for you. Your conference has 12 teams. My conference has 10 teams. You think 12 teams is better because you have more shitty teams which leads to more conference wins for the less shitty teams. (I think that's your argument). Straight up...I bet my conference gets more teams in the tournament than yours. And i'll double down by saying my conference will get teams in the NCAAT with conference records that, if they were in your conference, they would not whiff the tournament. Why? Our conference is very good and your conference is not.

So...straight up...we get more teams in the tournament, in spite of having 2 fewer teams and having to play round robin, than your AAC. If we do, we never have to hear from you again. If your conference gets more teams in the tournament, then we will pay homage to the Stever, via a HLOH post, every day for a year.

You take the bet?

(And, to save time, save me your BS about seeding...the only two decent teams in your conference are gonna lose games to shitty or slightly less shitty teams that they have to play, and that will torpedo their seeding. Note, Wichita just beat East Carolina, a truly shitty basketball team, by 6 at home).
Savannah Jay

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
Ahh, you're a betting man. I have a bet for you. Your conference has 12 teams. My conference has 10 teams. You think 12 teams is better because you have more shitty teams which leads to more conference wins for the less shitty teams. (I think that's your argument). Straight up...I bet my conference gets more teams in the tournament than yours. And i'll double down by saying my conference will get teams in the NCAAT with conference records that, if they were in your conference, they would not whiff the tournament. Why? Our conference is very good and your conference is not.

So...straight up...we get more teams in the tournament, in spite of having 2 fewer teams and having to play round robin, than your AAC. If we do, we never have to hear from you again. If your conference gets more teams in the tournament, then we will pay homage to the Stever, via a HLOH post, every day for a year.

You take the bet?

(And, to save time, save me your BS about seeding...the only two decent teams in your conference are gonna lose games to shitty or slightly less shitty teams that they have to play, and that will torpedo their seeding. Note, Wichita just beat East Carolina, a truly shitty basketball team, by 6 at home).

Why would he take that? The Big East would only need 4 teams in to win that, which is already a lock. He also never claimed the AAC would get more teams in than the Big East - just doubting that we get 8. I think 8 is still very much possible, but Providence's resurgence is going to make it more difficult as they beat more potential bubble teams.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Here's the thing... the BE has EVERY team in play for a possible dance bid. Now Providence has to win 12 BE to get to the bubble(plus 1 in the BET probably), but that's still doable(improbable but doable). Everyone else just needs to get to 9 BE wins. Think about that... a team like Providence is the worst team in the league(according to OOC performance), when that's the case you know you're in a REALLY REALLY good league.

So we might get 8 in or we could get only 6 in if we cannibalize ourselves, either way there is absolutely no comparison between the BE and that other conference that is only named on this board to mock stever. We're on a completely different level then them, end of story, period.
Westbrook#36

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board