NET rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NET rankings

Postby Jet915 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
adoraz wrote:Don't really need to watch the NET each night, just get to 8-9 wins and we'll make the Dance.

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Yeah, get 9 wins and you are in (except Providence). Nova and Butler can probably get in with 8.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 pm

really going to be interested to see the impact of tonight's Butler/St John's game to the NET.

Butler was #4 and St John's was #51 going into the game. Butler wins by 2.

Do we see Butler drop and St John's remain the same? I'd kind of think so.
stever20

Postby milksteak » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 am

stever20 wrote:really going to be interested to see the impact of tonight's Butler/St John's game to the NET.

Butler stays at #4, Johnnies drop to #56. Not gonna pretend like I understand NET haha
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 am

Jet915 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
adoraz wrote:Don't really need to watch the NET each night, just get to 8-9 wins and we'll make the Dance.

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Yeah, get 9 wins and you are in (except Providence). Nova and Butler can probably get in with 8.

+1000000000
8 gets Villanova and Butler in.
9 gets everyone in, except PC.
Plus the BET.

Calculating NET after every made free throw is exhausting.

From the Simpsons:
"Hi, I'm Bill James. I've made baseball as enjoyable as doing your taxes."
Providence
billyjack

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:01 pm

milksteak wrote:
stever20 wrote:really going to be interested to see the impact of tonight's Butler/St John's game to the NET.

Butler stays at #4, Johnnies drop to #56. Not gonna pretend like I understand NET haha

The expectation by NET for this matchup was probably that the Johnnie's would win by a few points, so when they lost, they dropped a few spots based on how their rating decreased. Butler's NET rating improved, but not enough to move up a spot. That makes sense because in St. John's range, there are a lot of teams clumped close together, but near the top of the rankings teams are more spread out.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:14 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
milksteak wrote:

The expectation by NET for this matchup was probably that the Johnnie's would win by a few points, so when they lost, they dropped a few spots based on how their rating decreased. Butler's NET rating improved, but not enough to move up a spot. That makes sense because in St. John's range, there are a lot of teams clumped close together, but near the top of the rankings teams are more spread out.

I could see Butlers actual rating drop a tad but they had enough of a lead on #5 and #6 that it didn't matter. Their MOV and efficiency measures dropped of course with this game.
St John's saw their record, MOV, and efficiency measures all drop last night.
stever20

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 pm

So both are penalized because their victory margin and efficiency numbers take a hit in each case, even though it’s due to playing each other?

The simple solution then would be to not play the conference season! Just sit back, watch the other five conferences in the P6 drag down each other’s NET, and finish 1-10.

Or we can recognize the ‘hit’ that’s taken the day the game is played is made up on our off days when the rest of the upper echelon of college basketball takes their ‘hit’ to their metrics while the BE teams sit at home eating Cheez-its.

What are the chances we get breathless updates from Stever about how St. John’s winds up moving, say, 5-6 spots or whatever between now and Saturday by being helped by the same dynamic (being off) that hurts their numbers when they play?
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:02 pm

handdownmandown wrote:So both are penalized because their victory margin and efficiency numbers take a hit in each case, even though it’s due to playing each other?

The simple solution then would be to not play the conference season! Just sit back, watch the other five conferences in the P6 drag down each other’s NET, and finish 1-10.

Or we can recognize the ‘hit’ that’s taken the day the game is played is made up on our off days when the rest of the upper echelon of college basketball takes their ‘hit’ to their metrics while the BE teams sit at home eating Cheez-its.

What are the chances we get breathless updates from Stever about how St. John’s winds up moving, say, 5-6 spots or whatever between now and Saturday by being helped by the same dynamic (being off) that hurts their numbers when they play?

Part of it though is that some top teams don't play tougher opponents- and thus take Duke yesterday. Played a conference game and won 88-49. Duke didn't drop, and BC dropped 8 spots. Their victory margin and efficiency numbers weren't hurt, and went up even. Florida St beat Ga Tech by 12 yesterday, and moved up from 28 to 24 as a result.

There is some validity to what you're saying though. Xavier moved up 5 spots yesterday. Although that had something to do with Missouri St beating Evansville as well... We're still early enough to where SOS with even just 1 win can mean something.
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:24 pm

I love it when same people screaming double-round-robin or death complain when they realize they're better off beating up on as many midmajors as possible ooc.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:29 pm

kayako wrote:I love it when same people screaming double-round-robin or death complain when they realize they're better off beating up on as many midmajors as possible ooc.

This year if the Big East had 2 more teams doing even what Providence did OOC- and was doing a 12 team- 18 game schedule- The league would get 8 teams in pretty easily AND the top 4-5 teams would all be getting top 4-5 seeds just as easily...
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board