NET rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NET rankings

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Well last night was quite the "NET" negative for us. The Nova/XU game worked out great - Nova +3 to 17 and X +1 to 52, but WOW DePaul was unreasonably punished for that SHU loss - tanking from 39 to 67. SHU rose 8 spots to #25 with the win.

Maybe there's 50 or so teams grouped so tightly that even the smallest of changes can drop you 28 spots, but until the NCAA decides to be transparent about how it's calculated I can only draw the conclusion that it's a horribly broken system.

It does seem unduly harsh- but looking closer....

One thing- and not sure how much of a part of the formula it is exactly.... their adjusted winning percentage...
going into yesterday they were 9.8-1.4. .875. After last night they were 9.8-2.8. .778.

That's a really big drop there.

also point spread- with 10 point max(remember the Chicago game does not count)
+79 going into last night 12 games +6.58
+71 after last night 13 games +5.46
another big drop
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Well last night was quite the "NET" negative for us. The Nova/XU game worked out great - Nova +3 to 17 and X +1 to 52, but WOW DePaul was unreasonably punished for that SHU loss - tanking from 39 to 67. SHU rose 8 spots to #25 with the win.

Maybe there's 50 or so teams grouped so tightly that even the smallest of changes can drop you 28 spots, but until the NCAA decides to be transparent about how it's calculated I can only draw the conclusion that it's a horribly broken system.

I remember the same thing happening last year as well. I believe it's due to it being harder to advance within the top 25/50 as the teams are spread out more the higher they are ranked. I also think it overly punishes home losses. Either way things should work out for the league overall. Great for SHU that they picked up a Q1 win.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:19 pm

adoraz wrote:

I remember the same thing happening last year as well. I believe it's due to it being harder to advance within the top 25/50 as the teams are spread out more the higher they are ranked. I also think it overly punishes home losses. Either way things should work out for the league overall. Great for SHU that they picked up a Q1 win.

DePaul better win on Saturday, or that Q1 win vanishes.
stever20

Postby sju88grad » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:31 pm

That doesn’t bode well for SJU tonight. This game will be very tough to win and while I’m hopeful, I’m also realistic. Would hate to see our NET take a beating with a loss tonight.
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:40 pm

sju88grad wrote:That doesn’t bode well for SJU tonight. This game will be very tough to win and while I’m hopeful, I’m also realistic. Would hate to see our NET take a beating with a loss tonight.

I don't think it would... Assuming 8 point loss(which is margin DePaul had last night)

adjusted record-
7.4-2.4 .755
7.4-3.8 .661

pointspread
90/13 6.92
82/14 6.31

neither one of those are as large drops as what DePaul had.

Also, SOS. Seton Hall going in was only 8-4. Butler is 12-1. That's a pretty big difference as well.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:47 pm

looked at the Colley rankings. This used to be a BCS computer for football, but they have basketball ratings as well...

You're able to add results to it and the computer spits out new ratings based on what you put in(they call it a play God feature)..... So I put in Seton Hall beating DePaul....

It dropped DePaul by 17 spots.

https://www.colleyrankings.com/
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49 pm

sju88grad wrote:That doesn’t bode well for SJU tonight. This game will be very tough to win and while I’m hopeful, I’m also realistic. Would hate to see our NET take a beating with a loss tonight.

I get what you're saying but that's kind of the point. You gotta win games. SHU gets a boost for a Q1 win on the road. Big, big , big for them. There are going to be tons of those opportunities this year. DePaul has 8 away games that may end up being Q1 games for them. That's huge. Win 2-3 of those and that looks really good to a certain committee in March. ON the surface a home loss to a Top 25 NET team isn't going to kill you at the end of the day. This will be pretty fluid for all teams now that the trash OOC teams are no longer on the schedules.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:53 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

I get what you're saying but that's kind of the point. You gotta win games. SHU gets a boost for a Q1 win on the road. Big, big , big for them. There are going to be tons of those opportunities this year. DePaul has 8 away games that may end up being Q1 games for them. That's huge. Win 2-3 of those and that looks really good to a certain committee in March. ON the surface a home loss to a Top 25 NET team isn't going to kill you at the end of the day. This will be pretty fluid for all teams now that the trash OOC teams are no longer on the schedules.

your point is very good- you gotta win games. The NET isn't like the RPI where you could lose and not see any drop in the RPI (although even in the RPI, DePaul dropped from 61 to 74).
stever20

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 pm

We're the last fanbase who should be concerned about that. Last year we made the Dance despite our mediocre NET of #73, thanks to our 5 Q1 wins. This year if we go 8-10 we'll probably have just as many (if not more) Q1 wins compared to last year. We already have 2 whereas last year at this point we had only 1 (vs VCU) in a much weaker Big East. Don't really need to watch the NET each night, just get to 8-9 wins and we'll make the Dance.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:33 pm

adoraz wrote:Don't really need to watch the NET each night, just get to 8-9 wins and we'll make the Dance.

^^^^THIS^^^^^^
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board