Bracketology

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology

Postby Edrick » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:09 am

It’s most certainly not going to take 500 in the league to go to the tournament. There’s at least two that could do it with 7, if not 6.

From this point, literally every game becomes a signature win for someone. I have assumed 7 bids for weeks, but I believe eight is going to be the number.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 am

Xavier winning today at TCU will help the cause.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby adoraz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am

Edrick wrote:It’s most certainly not going to take 500 in the league to go to the tournament. There’s at least two that could do it with 7, if not 6.

From this point, literally every game becomes a signature win for someone. I have assumed 7 bids for weeks, but I believe eight is going to be the number.

Of course, I meant that 9-9 gets everyone (but Providence) in. Some of those teams can get in at 8-10 or possibly 7-11, too. Just meant that nobody (again, besides Providence) needs more than 9 wins to Dance.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Perfect time to point out how flawed the mid-major thinking of only teams with .500 or better belong in the tournament.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Edrick wrote:It’s most certainly not going to take 500 in the league to go to the tournament. There’s at least two that could do it with 7, if not 6.

Butler is the only team that could make the tourney with 7 wins. They couldn't with 6 wins. DePaul right now has a NET in the 40's. IF they go 7-11, that's not going to be good enough.

And your thing saying every game becomes a signature win. Q2 wins are hardly signature wins. And unless the league can get teams in the top 30- that's what most all of the home games are going to be.

It would take a standings like last year to get 7 teams in even.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:21 pm

kayako wrote:Perfect time to point out how flawed the mid-major thinking of only teams with .500 or better belong in the tournament.

Kayako, Kayako my man. Luv ya to death, but...there you go with the elitist thinking again. Just because there are a few good teams in major conferences, it does not automatically compute that they should/would all dance.
In fact the argument for .500 or better is valid. The comittee will not let just any 18-13 team dance, just to have more B1G-BE-ACCteams in. Making .500 is a valid measuring stick to weed out the marginal Midling Majors - who "deserve" to go to the NIT/CBI/CIT.

Every year top midmajors get screwed out of a dance bid because youse Majors are so damned greedy. 6 BE bids is enough, seven is great. More than that is excessive and will deprive some very good Midmajors a shot to do some damage in the dance. We all deserve to see a UMBC beat a Virginia.

Just sayin'. ;)

Don't normally like Palm, but he is finally beginning to see the light. However, Creighton oughta be a 4 Seed.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:38 pm

What a bunch of nonsense.

No mid major that has a resume that would be left out is of a better quality than the nine teams fighting it out for the next 2.5 months.

I’m not talking about St. Mary’s or Utah State, who’ll likely make it anyway, I’m talking about everyone else. No way any of them play 18 games in this league and sniff .500. But we are supposed to penalize those that are in the league for not getting to that number?
handdownmandown

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:51 pm

handdownmandown wrote:What a bunch of nonsense.

No mid major that has a resume that would be left out is of a better quality than the nine teams fighting it out for the next 2.5 months.

I’m not talking about St. Mary’s or Utah State, who’ll likely make it anyway, I’m talking about everyone else. No way any of them play 18 games in this league and sniff .500. But we are supposed to penalize those that are in the league for not getting to that number?

YES. Because you know as well as Kayako and everyone else that: SOS, NET, Quad1 wins, beating ranked teams, whether or not that Midlin Major was on a run the last 10 games, and other factors all play into the comittee's thinking come selection Sunday. Not all Midlin Major teams who are .500 are equal. Many are worse than their record might suggest...and you know that.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby marquette » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:58 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Every year top midmajors get screwed out of a dance bid because youse Majors are so damned greedy.

That's, uh...US Majors to you now git. ;)
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MullinMayhem » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:07 pm

St. John's has entered the chat.

9-9 or better and likely making the tournament in year 1 of Anderson. Who had that prediction?
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board