Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Jet915 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:21 am

BEwannabe wrote:
Jet915 wrote:ESPN contract with Dish is up at the end of the month. I'm sure they will work something out but interesting nonetheless.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-disney-gird-showdown-over-005600116.html

my understanding is DISH is considering not renewing ESPN-Disney and offering a lower priced alternative to tv markets minus the expensive ESPN sports package.

That would be big for FS1. It would knock ESPN viewership from like 110 million homes to 95 which is near where FS1 is. It would hurt DISH immediately but if they drop their packages 5-6 bucks/month in good faith I think they would recoup some of that lost viewership in the long run. Supposedly, only 20% of households watch ESPN channels so there is a market for non-sports/ESPN viewers assuming the packages are cheaper.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 am

Jet915 wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:
Jet915 wrote: Supposedly, only 20% of households watch ESPN channels so there is a market for non-sports/ESPN viewers assuming the packages are cheaper.

it's just a piece of a moving target but you're analysis re: "there is a market" is on target and it will be interesting, really interesting to see if Dish goes this direction. It would usher in another direction. I'm not in agreement though with your FS1 analysis, while it might be an initial benefit for FS1 Ithink it's logical to conclude Dish would drop FS1 when their contract expires.
BEwannabe

Postby wildjays » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I posted this over on the Bluejay Underground too, but I thought this had some relevance for some Big East thoughts as a whole:

This article sort of shows the challenges Fox is going to run into to really distribute Fox Sports 1 across that 90 million homes.

http://marquettetribune.org/2013/09/12/ ... -in-sight/

Though the focus of the article is on a TV carriage dispute that really doesn't have anything to do with Fox Sports 1, I thought it was interesting that they pointed out that the basic cable service that is provided to Marquette on campus doesn't include Fox Sports 1. In order to get it they have to upgrade the package which of course underscores how the channel really isn't in 90 million homes and has a long ways to go if they really want to challenge ESPN.

Right now I can plug my cable into any TV in the house whether I have a cable box or not and I can get ESPN and ESPN2. In reality the basic satellite packages on Dish and DIrecTV includes ESPN and ESPN2 as well. In either case if you want to get Fox Sports 1, you have to upgrade your service to get it. It is easy for a college student not willing to pay extra to turn it to ESPN because there are games on there and definitely confusing when they could turn it there and watch Big East games all season last year. Until they can get FS1 on a basic tier of some kind the random fan is going to miss out on the BE games and thus the exposure is lower.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but as much as I love the TV package and the future of things with the FS1 deal, until ESPN and ESPN2 isn't on basic cable anymore (75 or under) or Fox Sports 1 can move down the channel listings there will be that uphill battle to hit that potential 90 million homes. What do you all think?
wildjays

Postby XU85 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 am

wildjays wrote:I posted this over on the Bluejay Underground too, but I thought this had some relevance for some Big East thoughts as a whole:

This article sort of shows the challenges Fox is going to run into to really distribute Fox Sports 1 across that 90 million homes.

http://marquettetribune.org/2013/09/12/ ... -in-sight/

Though the focus of the article is on a TV carriage dispute that really doesn't have anything to do with Fox Sports 1, I thought it was interesting that they pointed out that the basic cable service that is provided to Marquette on campus doesn't include Fox Sports 1. In order to get it they have to upgrade the package which of course underscores how the channel really isn't in 90 million homes and has a long ways to go if they really want to challenge ESPN.

Right now I can plug my cable into any TV in the house whether I have a cable box or not and I can get ESPN and ESPN2. In reality the basic satellite packages on Dish and DIrecTV includes ESPN and ESPN2 as well. In either case if you want to get Fox Sports 1, you have to upgrade your service to get it. It is easy for a college student not willing to pay extra to turn it to ESPN because there are games on there and definitely confusing when they could turn it there and watch Big East games all season last year. Until they can get FS1 on a basic tier of some kind the random fan is going to miss out on the BE games and thus the exposure is lower.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but as much as I love the TV package and the future of things with the FS1 deal, until ESPN and ESPN2 isn't on basic cable anymore (75 or under) or Fox Sports 1 can move down the channel listings there will be that uphill battle to hit that potential 90 million homes. What do you all think?

You raise legitimate concerns. I called my cable co. (Time Warner) earlier this week about this issue. I have a couple of HD DVRs and get FS1 no problem. However, I do not on my other 4 TVs. My cable Co. said they would send me up to 4 digital converters (for free), which would supposedly give access to FS1 and FS2 on other Tvs. It will be also be disappointing if FS2 continues to be unavailable in HD.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby Dew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 am

The one thing I can see that would force FS1 moving to a lesser tier is if they put NFL games on that channel. People would demand that it be available if that were the case.
Dew

Postby bmorex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

Does anyone else know if their school's campuses "supply" FS1 as part of their basic package? Although minor, I definitely think all Big East students should be able to watch their conference's basketball games.

Xavier residence halls have Cincinnati Fioptics, which does have FS1 in its package.
bmorex

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

Fox Sports 1 is in atleast 80 million homes. That's because that is the number the Speed Channel was on. I doubt any providers dropped the channel because it switched to FS1. I read a few weeks ago that the number is actually 86 million homes so it's somewhere close to 90 million. ESPN is in 110 million homes so there will be situations where you can get ESPN and not get FS1 but 90 million is better than NBC/CBS/ESPNU.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:03 pm

the concept though is it might be available in however many homes, but in order to get it you have to have a high level package. I'd venture a guess that in a majority of the basic packages, Speed Network wasn't available. ESPN is in 110 million homes or whatever- and on basic packages.

Also, this will apply for those that travel. A lot of the hotels won't have FS1 quite frankly.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:15 pm

stever20 wrote:the concept though is it might be available in however many homes, but in order to get it you have to have a high level package. I'd venture a guess that in a majority of the basic packages, Speed Network wasn't available. ESPN is in 110 million homes or whatever- and on basic packages.

Also, this will apply for those that travel. A lot of the hotels won't have FS1 quite frankly.

During my business travels I have made a point of requesting that hotels I frequent offer FS1 in HD. Nothing has materialized yet but I am hoping if enough people ask that it might happen.
ArmyVet

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Where is the Fox Sports Go app I am desperately awaiting its arrival?
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board