UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm

It's amazing they haven't figured out that maintaining their football program is roughly the equivalent of lighting $20 million on fire every year. I'm not saying they need to drop it completely, but they should de-fund it to a point where it at least has an outside shot of breaking even and park it at a level where they can be competitive on that budget. And then focus on the basketball program that probably brings in more money than football on less than half the budget.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm

kmacker69 wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
REDMEN1415 wrote:This isn't my post, but I like it so much that i'm gonna post it here.
From redmen.com

Two points: 1) How exactly do they help? Go back to the full history of the Big East. Yukon did not help build the Big East. They benefited from it greatly but then split and even before that were planning it out for years. This is not simply about spite, it is about wisdom and not learning and repeated the same mistakes.

2) they are not going to dump their football program. They would only come into the Big East as a partial member like Notre Dame did. That was a crappy move for the conference with one sided benefits, but also helped rebuild the Notre Dame basketball program and then they also split.

The Big East without football, is special. Start bringing in state schools with football interests and they are serving two masters. The football master is always bigger and more compelling. The people running the conference and the interests of the members are always going to listen to the biggest money first. In the process you dilute the special quality.

Yukon = superficially attractive hooker from a distance but get up close and you see layers of cheap makeup and she smells horrible. Obviously ripe with disease. Complete masochism for the Big East and these kind of moves that seem obvious and wise on the surface would ultimately kill the conference just as they almost did already.

As a retired Sailor...and an expert on hookers, Good Post! :lol:

I got nothing to add but that that is some funny stuff right there! :lol: :!: :lol:

I'd love to see somebody on this board be able to hit Redmen smashes back across the net, and get in some good volleys. I'm thinking Johnnies-Huskies would be a good smack show.

Bring em on.

Get this done Val, then close the door behind these heathens. Butler would be happy with another non-sec anyway.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
Ultimately a super majority of university presidents are the ones making the final decision. Many of them are priests.

I'm not so sure UCONN is a slam dunk.

Only certain message board posters are sure that UCONN is a slam dunk. Meanwhile, the NCAA investigations of UConn basketball continues ...

.................... Image

Feature article: Ollie, UConn, and NCAA … winding road with no end yet in sight - October 7, 2018

As a general rule, the presidents of Catholic (and private) universities tend to avoid being associated with bad publicity whenever possible. It is hard to envisage them having any interest in UConn basketball before the various investigations and possible sanctions have been concluded, nor before the Huskies' football program has found a new conference. This will not be easy to sell to the university's big donors, who have poured tens of millions of dollars into Huskies' football. Realistically, UConn's options for football would be limited to the Colonial Athletic Association or Patriot League.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Xudash » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Hall2012 wrote:It's amazing they haven't figured out that maintaining their football program is roughly the equivalent of lighting $20 million on fire every year. I'm not saying they need to drop it completely, but they should de-fund it to a point where it at least has an outside shot of breaking even and park it at a level where they can be competitive on that budget. And then focus on the basketball program that probably brings in more money than football on less than half the budget.

We understand that.

UCONN? They believe that they are only inches away from land granting around with Michigan, et al. And, of course, some of we Catholic schools are going out of business anyway, which doesn't matter since the AAC is going to overtake the BE anyway.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm

UConn had several extremely lucky and improbable runs through the NCAA tourney with some of the most dominant performances by single players ever. For those newer Big East fans, UConn had like a .500 conference record or close to it, and they went on insane runs. After going on these, they think they are Michigan academically and Duke in basketball. Don't get me wrong, they impressed and went on a crazy run, but some of it was definitely luck. They actually think that they can be Texas in football some day.

They forget many things:
1. The northeast does not give 2 craps about college football. Even when Rutgers was ranked several years ago no one cared.
2. There's zero fertile recruiting ground in the northeast for football.
3. They will never be a factor in football.

It's like a little girl playing dress up as if she's an adult but she's only 5. Aww cute! UConn is pretending to matter in football. Ok honey, now stop playing around and go do your chores! Just because you have the facilities, the field, and the money doesn't mean you suddenly matter in football. Stony Brook and Buffalo would beat them 8/10 times each. Buffalo would probably kill them but Stony Brook is their caliber. In other words, give up...just admit what you are: a basketball school. They aren't fooling anyone.
MullinMayhem

Postby JPSchmack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I think the UConn "smoke" is one minor report (AAC television negotiations may be easier with GOR) + one minor comment (Val's comment about how a 20-game double-round robin would mean an 11th team and something they'd consider) and then people's imaginations running amok.

Somehow the fact that because UCF/Memphis/Cincinnati/Houston could be future Big XII targets, the AAC might need to entice them to sign the GOR, and it happening when UConn football just went 1-12, morphed into "The AAC wants to make UConn a second class citizen by paying them less."

The AAC Commish downplayed a ton of the smoke in an article today:
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffjacob ... 458583.php

“The report wasn’t accurate in key areas,” American commissioner Mike Aresco said Tuesday. “We haven’t asked our schools for anything at this point. We’re in the preliminary stages of important negotiation. Our formal period starts next year. We’re discussing a lot of things.”

“I don’t see it,” Aresco said on unequal distribution. “I think the majority of our schools will agree with me. I firmly support our current policy of equal revenue sharing. We don’t have entirely equal sharing right now because of the money left over from the old Big East... But as we move forward our plan has always been equal sharing of revenue. Unequal sharing is not who we are. We turned down Boise when they were ready to join. They said they wanted a special deal, they wanted more revenue than the others and we said no. I felt that was the foundation of our conference.”
JPSchmack

Postby MUPanther » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Not one poster brings up Geno Auriemma and the UConn Womens program. Many of there games out rates Big East games on FS1. They want out of the AAC. This year Uconn's game at Oklahoma is on FS1. Think of Notre Dame, Baylor or South Carolina at UConn on FS1.

As for the men's program. The Huskies have won 4 NCAA Tournament Championships (1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014), which puts the program at sixth-most all-time. The Big East has the power! I would take them.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 pm

I think the women will come back to earth after Geno retires. Look at Tennessee after Summit. Still good I'm sure but not an easy path to the championship every year.
MullinMayhem

Postby MUPanther » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:I think the women will come back to earth after Geno retires. Look at Tennessee after Summit. Still good I'm sure but not an easy path to the championship every year.

That could happen. That said, he is 64 years old. I bet he has another 8 years left in him.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm

MUPanther wrote:Not one poster brings up Geno Auriemma and the UConn Womens program. Many of there games out rates Big East games on FS1. They want out of the AAC. This year Uconn's game at Oklahoma is on FS1. Think of Notre Dame, Baylor or South Carolina at UConn on FS1.

As for the men's program. The Huskies have won 4 NCAA Tournament Championships (1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014), which puts the program at sixth-most all-time. The Big East has the power! I would take them.

I don't know that the women would want out of the AAC. Not that it's a great women's basketball conference- but that it gets their prime games on ESPN..
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board