UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am

Really confused why so many are against this. Would UConn have some benefits vs. other schools if they came here being a state school? Yeah, probably. But that didn't help them much in a pathetic AAC conference did it? They had a bad coach in Ollie. They hired a great coach in Hurley and they will guaranteed be ranked within the next year or 2 with a great recruiting class. I hate UConn as much as anyone, but it's not debatable...they flat out help the conference. We all saw what happened immediately this season when Nova finally wasn't playing out of their mind. We had no ranked teams. We are not getting enough respect from the AP or Coaches polls. I invite the challenge...let them in and let's beat them. They're coming back to national relevancy and I'd much rather have them in our conference boosting us more than in some other conference. UConn would give 2 more opportunities to beat quality national brands each year. That's how I see it. More opportunities for good wins, more games at MSG as a SJ fan, more fans coming out, more hype, more prestige, more money, more media attention and may even force ESPN to make a deal with us. I love FOX and how they're almost always national TV games, but no one watches FS1 or FS2. Fox national, that's it. We'd reach a much more national audience being on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. UConn football is never going to make anyone care...let them park it somewhere else and die off. If they can't park it, encourage them to go FCS. If they refuse, then you tell them the only way you come here is if you pay us an insane amount if you leave. I highly doubt they leave because no one wants their football, and even if they do, they give us a big payday and we are back where we started which was a very good 10 team conference. Win-win in my book.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:39 am

adoraz wrote:Their addition would guarantee more money per school for our TV contract, which I'd expect to be immediately renegotiated. It needs to be revisited anyways with the secondary package still not determined for next year.

There's a provision to expand up to 12 teams without affecting per school payouts, so no need for a renegotiation although that's still possible if Fox really wants to double down.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 am

FriarJ wrote:I have said multiple times on the ridiculous should we go to 14 thread, it will only ever be 11 and there are only 2 schools that we would consider.

NBE was open to expanding up to 12 schools from the very beginning. The double round-robin format isn't going to be a reason to not expand, don't kid yourself.
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am

Im for adding UCONN if they bring us more money from FOX, they will enahnce the value of the league and as long as we put strict penalties on them leaving, I say go for it.
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Some minor corrections... We left UConn, not the other way around. Sure they've embraced football in a pathetic attempt to be more attractive to the ACC or the Big10 or Big12, or whomever. But they've also got a very good BB program. There is really no way to deny that.

I find it interesting that the fans of X, Butler and CU seem to be the most vocal critics against UConn. There's something there that a good psychiatrist would probably love to chew on. I don't see this as a zero sum transaction. Add UConn and CU/X/Butler/PC/SHU don't suffer in any way as a direct result IMO. More great teams benefits all of us. Short term recruiting losses are trumped by other kids wanting to join a conference with great teams, which improves recruiting pools for us all.

I'm an old softy. I miss some of the old rivalries. I love this new conference but can't shake the old relationships as easily. I hate the UConn fans and so in a weird way I miss them because they brought juice to the rivalry. I do agree that SLU checks more boxes than UConn, with the exception of tradition and program trajectory (which as a hoops fan first, is somewhat important). Drop FB or park it somewhere very non-threatening (like some current BE schools are doing now) and I'd let them in (with a huge exit fee agreement however).

Slow down with that generalization. I fully support UCONN's addition for the strategic reasons mentioned, while understanding that the level of douchebaggery from that fanbase, especially from those UCONN fans who believe they must land grant themselves up to the level of Michigan - :roll: - through football will be caustic.

Again, as noted by others, the value of that asset is obvious. No amount of mileage between the East Coast and Midwest should cloud that fact. This is all about strengthening the conference. UCONN would do that in spades. The next round of media rights negotiations. The solidification of an already solid BET at MSG. All of it should be abundantly obvious to anyone looking at it.

Nope. Not only should we bring UCONN into the fold, but then we go about the business of beating their condescension and snot out of them once they come on board. That will be particularly fun. I foresee signs at the Pavillion that read "WE WISH WE COULD BE UC" or imagine us 10 years down the road with them and all ten of us are still in business, thriving and competing at a high level - remember that some of them believe expensive, small private schools are going to fold over time. What does a UCONN education buy you when it comes to critical thinking? Let's take a peek:

"The Catholic schools are not only dead in the water in the future landscape of college sports, but they are dead in the water as ongoing entities in this country. They are going to go the way of all the Catholic high schools. A few good ones--many will shutter. Why would UConn hitch their horse to that post?"

Finally, I agree that we could make it easier for them to enter financially, but absolutely lock them in place with a substantial exit fee.
Last edited by Xudash on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am

kayako wrote:
adoraz wrote:Their addition would guarantee more money per school for our TV contract, which I'd expect to be immediately renegotiated. It needs to be revisited anyways with the secondary package still not determined for next year.

There's a provision to expand up to 12 teams without affecting per school payouts, so no need for a renegotiation although that's still possible if Fox really wants to double down.

I'm saying that adding UConn wouldn't just add another school at $3-5 million (however much we're currently getting paid). Fox would agree to pay more to all 11 members (such as $6-7 million). We'd probably also get more $$$ for our secondary package.

With any other addition, aside from possibly Gonzaga, that's not happening.

Give ESPN the secondary package. Still a win for them since they wouldn't entirely lose UConn (and obviously would be gaining a lot in the BE) and also wouldn't need to pay UConn F5 money to keep them. UConn makes football independent, and Fox agrees to help schedule some games for them.

This could end up being a win for everybody involved (except the AAC).
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 am

Bluejay fan here. First time post.

Add UCONN.

It's a no brainer.
Angry Dan

Postby Xudash » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am

adoraz wrote:
kayako wrote:

I'm saying that adding UConn wouldn't just add another school at $3-5 million (however much we're currently getting paid). Fox would agree to pay more to all 11 members (such as $6-7 million). We'd probably also get more $$$ for our secondary package.

With any other addition, aside from possibly Gonzaga, that's not happening.

Give ESPN the secondary package. Still a win for them since they wouldn't entirely lose UConn (and obviously would be gaining a lot in the BE) and also wouldn't need to pay UConn F5 money to keep them. UConn makes football independent, and Fox agrees to help schedule some games for them.

This could end up being a win for everybody involved (except the AAC).

Spot on.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:23 pm

It's not about spite...it's about what is best for the conference in terms of: money, visibility, prestige, and competitiveness. Adding UConn would help all of those. We'd obviously get a nice raise from FOX too or whoever gets our rights. It would make it much harder to ignore the Big East and much harder for any pundits or fans to imply we are not a major conference. Enough with STL, Dayton, and VCU. Yuck. When we got Creighton, Butler, and Xavier they were already ranked all the time and were legitimate forces nationally. Butler and Xavier made regular deep runs in the tourney. Creighton was a monster in the MWC. We already knew these were major programs playing in mid major conferences like Gonzaga is now. That's why they were no-brainers. STL, Dayton, and VCU have not shown me they are ripe enough at this point to have a brand like X, CU, and Butler. If anything they'd make people see us as more of a mid major conference. UConn coming would not be seen by anyone as bringing the league down and they already cemented their prestige and history. They're already a major program and they already have huge rivalries built in.

Villanova vs. UConn
Georgetown vs. UConn
PC vs. UConn
St. John's vs. UConn

Pretty sure these games would all be sellouts in the regular season on a regular basis and it makes the Big East Tourney that much more exciting. Are UConn fans jerks? Yeah. Are they annoying? Yeah. But as some others have said, just beat them. Syracuse fans were jerks until we beat them 3 times in a row and then they went running away with their tail between their legs. Dan Hurley is already turning them around instantly and they will have a top 10 class coming in next year. We know they're going to succeed eventually in the AAC and get ranked with Hurley, so why not be a part of it? Just imagine #15 Villanova vs. #17 UConn on ESPN2. Imagine the Big East Tourney sold out every session. I hate them and we don't need them, but they only add to our success. They put us over the top.
MullinMayhem

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:39 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:It's not about spite...it's about what is best for the conference in terms of: money, visibility, prestige, and competitiveness. Adding UConn would help all of those. We'd obviously get a nice raise from FOX too or whoever gets our rights. It would make it much harder to ignore the Big East and much harder for any pundits or fans to imply we are not a major conference. Enough with STL, Dayton, and VCU. Yuck. When we got Creighton, Butler, and Xavier they were already ranked all the time and were legitimate forces nationally. Butler and Xavier made regular deep runs in the tourney. Creighton was a monster in the MWC. We already knew these were major programs playing in mid major conferences like Gonzaga is now. That's why they were no-brainers. STL, Dayton, and VCU have not shown me they are ripe enough at this point to have a brand like X, CU, and Butler. If anything they'd make people see us as more of a mid major conference.

UConn would elevate the Conference, also open the door to future public schools coming in. I think that's a good thing (obviously, since I'm a VCU fan). The private/public dynamic creates more intense rivalries, and gives the "casual" viewer more reason to tune in. I'll watch Tech/UVA/Maryland play, because I live in that area and know people with connections between those schools.

I don't think the thought of adding VCU is "yuck." The program is dedicated to basketball - show me any program that has gone through 5 coaching changes in 14 years (with 10 NCAA appearances) and still remain a winning program throughout. That's an institution dedicated to being the best in basketball - it's their bread and butter. On top, theres a $25 Million basketball only practice facility, $1.84 Billion Endowment and $2 Million/year contract for tier 2/3 media rights. The fans travel to NYC for the tournament already - consistently being the largest fanbase there for A10 tournaments. Adding VCU would also add another media market (#55) but also open up the entire state (most students are from Northern Virginia or VA Beach). VCU would also keep the conference going down the I95 corridor, adding another basketball located in the inner city.

Either way, UConn is a slam dunk. SLU would also make sense to add along with them since it adds a new market as well as keeping a West/East balance in the Conference. I hope that the Big East adds 4: UConn, VCU, SLU and Dayton. That's probably just wishful thinking on my part, because the A10 is a sinking ship.
Gopher+RamFan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board